Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

Let's review: This is a semi-camouflage field utility uniform for the rikugun (Yamatai's land army) to wear. It replaces the working uniform for the ground forces but not the space fleets. It's not green to be green or because that's an Army color, it's green because that's the color of plants on Yamatai and most planets. Also it's not the green that Nepleslia uses (although it should be noted that Nepleslia doesn't actually have a field uniform, it just uses the green tunic for everything).

Since Operation Kozan ended, there's no ground plots going on right now, so this is kind of my window to make a decent ground forces uniform, which is something the Star Army has never had before (I was never satisfied with the original field uniform art, sadly, for various reasons). There will be ground plots again at some point and this should be ready for them when they appear. I'm pushing to flesh out the planetary forces of the Star Army and this is part of that. They're going to have their own look to them. So I don't want them to have the same look as the working uniform.

I might change parts in the future as the look "settles" and gets more set, but that's okay and natural. We could certainly slow down and figure out more of it before commissioning the demonstration art of it. In particular I'm trying to decide what headgear to wear with it (more on this later). Also, I'm thinking about subdued rank insignia and patches (maybe something like brown or black rank chevrons instead of red).

This is distinctly going from "Yamatai signature" to "Modern military." This is not a good thing.

If you want something to blend in with foliage, pick camo. Otherwise, it's not worth bothering.

And maybe that's my fault for not clearly outlining my goals for the utility uniform from the outset, but I wasn't trying to set up a competition or get members to submit designs either.

If you want to just create a new uniform and implement it the way you want it, then fine, do that. We can't stop you.

If you want the community to have some sort of input on it, then don't seem so offended and defensive when we don't all agree with you.

I can understand the need for a ground forces uniform, but at the same time, I also agree with both of Mog's posts and Reynolds' as well.

Most importantly, it needs to have that distinct, original feel that you can't find anywhere else but Yamatai. What Yamatai has going for it is special, and shouldn't be tossed aside. At this point, the only thing about the Jacket that is Yamatai is the patch on its arm, and the faint V-Section split. Demonblooded explicitly pointed out that besides those two features, the only thing keeping it from being Nepleslian is the inclusion of brown leather shoulder straps. Right now, the two Yamataian parts of it are mild, with it erring more towards modern IRL military and Nepleslia. He said that if the color divide was added, perhaps with gray or very subdued blue at the chest like in my proof of concept, it would make marching formations very distinct, as it's primarily the first row you see in whole, with the following members being all chest, head and shoulders. As they are now, their green would be far too easily mistaken for Nepleslians during a parade.

That isn't good.

I have sat here silently for the most part, other then expression the few likes I have had on a few of the uniforms. But now I am completely pissed off here. There hasn't been one bit of helpfulness in this latest conversation. It is entirely bitching at Wes for his design for his faction. It is amazing how you guys all get up in arms if Wes does anything or really say anything about other factions. Trust me I have seen the conversations you all have in the main IRC channel when he isn't around...

I swear if i saw this all as a new player I would have quit the damned site. It is disgusting how you guys all seem to just want to bitch and moan. Every uniform change has been the same. nothing all that positive and just bitch bitch bitch. Honestly I don't see a need for the uniforms to be changing so damned often, but it is Wes's faction, and if he wants a new uniform every week then it is his to do with. Same with every other faction.

This drama has no place in this thread.

Air your opinions, don't put down the opinions of others; Wes will know of it and may or may not react to the information provided if it is compelling to him.

I think we've been as helpful as we could have been given the circumstances; some of us still gave feedback on things that could improve it. Even then, there are those of us who still disagree on it. Don't be offended that some people simply think differently - it's not meant to rile anyone up to begin with. It's just honest fact. I don't like it, and others have said the same. In the end of the day though, it's as Fred says it. Wes will make the call.

It's just that it'll impact people sooner or later, so best to hash it out now and discuss it rather than be angry about the uniform changes a few months down the line.

I think the green makes sense for the ground forces. I do like how this feels more like a thickly padded jacket, something that would keep one warm in colder weather. I might suggest a thicker border in the downwards pointing V line, to make the border stand out more and keep some more of the feel of the naval uniforms even though not keeping the color panels.

For headgear, I think pith helmets are called for. Yes, Pith helmets
View attachment 4811

I think the green makes sense for the ground forces. I do like how this feels more like a thickly padded jacket, something that would keep one warm in colder weather. I might suggest a thicker border in the downwards pointing V line, to make the border stand out more and keep some more of the feel of the naval uniforms even though not keeping the color panels.

Do you think the uniform would look better if the chest was a different shade than the rest though? Either a darker or lighter green, or gray?

As for a hat, I kind of like this for the legions. They can wear the base hat while on base, but when in the field on patrol or such, the neck flaps can be worn to help cover the hair, especially in the case of some of the bright colored hair Yamatai has.
awww.militarytour.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_image_9df7b878baecc5fd28b86fa2613fa7286cd1.jpg

What would you prefer though? I've already stated my preference - the contrast looks very distinctive. In the end of the day, this is about trying to get the best possible, and not something short. Since we're not in an actual military, we got the luxury of taking time to hash it out.

For your consideration: here's the two hats the Star Army's ground forces have used in the past:

A black beret, and a campaign hat.

black beret.jpg campaign hat.jpg

Don't like either. Nepleslia uses berets we should use something different.
And I definitely don't like the smokey the bear hat.

Honestly? We should go something like a viking helmet sans horns. Because we have a whole lot of neko, but not a whole lot of valkyr

Here's some other options that should be on the table:

Vietnam-style hot weather cap
$_35.JPG

Alternate style:
mongolian patrol cap.png

Garrison Cap:
USgarrisoncap.png

Peaked cap, with no leather parts:
peaked-cap-hat-khaki-ww1-patt-british-army-officers.png

The non-fancy peaked cap would be really easy for me to make since I already have the artwork template for this style of hat.

As noted in the last post, it was really easy for me to whip up some soft peaked caps using my old art for the Star Army's officer cap. Here it is, with two options: solid field color (good for camo) and with a blue band (Yamatai flag color).

cap field.png cap field with blue band.png

field utility uniform with cap.png

RPG-D RPGfix
Back