• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Universal Credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
I propose we eliminate HS, KS, and DA in favor of UC, Universal Credit. Basically, we have these various forms of currency but their variation serves no purpose and only confuses new players. Let's standardize things.

A UC would be equal to 1 KS/HS so prices wouldn't need to be changed much. UC would be mostly electronic but it might be fun to come up with paper versions, too, maybe with SARP historical stuff/people on the bills.

I suppose it makes things OOCly a little easier, but ICly it is only possible if all three factions (Nep,Yam,UOC) have close diplomatic ties and is somehow beneficial to their respective economies. In this era where everybody haets Yamatai and each goverment is trying to protect their own economies through heavy import taxes and whatnot, its impossible.

Though, I dont think it confuses the players too much because when they join a faction, the only gear available to them are from their respective factions and of course it will in their respective currencies. When a player has matured enough to look beyond the horison to other factions then I'm sure a little bit of currency calculations wont hurt them a bit.

If you really wanna go ahead in this however, we can start by working towards world peace :D

Money is something that is bigger than diplomatic relations. One universal currency wouldn't reverse any kind of import/export taxes nations force on one another, they would simply change the currency (aka label) that said things were being exchanged in.

It's what's backing the paper that's important. Currently, there is a bit of a mess diplomatically building a universal currency from the ground up, but this is a rare case where I think a retcon would fit nicely in the RP and allow us to share some sort of OOC bond (as long as said currency 'faces' are divided evenly among factions).

It makes the math easier, too.

I think this is a good idea frankly since future societies are suppose to have electronic cash, wireless transfers, and the elimination for the need for hard currency anyway. It can be a simple oversight for the sake of other players despite any IC issues that may occur.

If you wanted to have a universal currency, perhaps there should be a highly-valuable resource that is used to back that currency.

Just a thought.

The idea of a fixed-rate currency backed by a commodity standard doesn't really work in this setting, as the concept of 'scarcity' has been rendered all but meaningless by the abundance of space-mined resources, the availability of unlimited energy sources and the ability to, in some cases, convert energy directly into matter...

I'm down with this ... as long as it's done ICly. I don't think a retcon's the way to go; seeking a universal currency would be a good start to peace between the nations.

The Euro is win, after all.

alhazred23 said:
The idea of a fixed-rate currency backed by a commodity standard doesn't really work in this setting, as the concept of 'scarcity' has been rendered all but meaningless by the abundance of space-mined resources, the availability of unlimited energy sources and the ability to, in some cases, convert energy directly into matter...

This is the primary problem. With Yamatai's unlimited fabrication, they can essentially print all the money they want in any form, be it solid cash, or electronic units. They are unlimitedly wealthy to the point of absurdity. It'd be the reason the UOC is having a tough time trying to make a proper export/import treaty, since the YSE can basically make everything it needs at an unlimited scale, there's not need for imports, and their exports would be so cheap it'd kill all domestic commerce.

I don't see this as being helpful. A uniform currency would be more suited for a planet, not entire nations... You need to consider the economies of smaller nations, or planets. This would effectively make them third world. Think of the IC consequences and ramifications of such a change for smaller nations and planetary sovereignties.

That quote alone insures that. If a larger nation flooded the market by using that uniform wealth, stock and prices would drop drastically, industry would cease, people would be out of jobs. Beyond the above this could be easily abused.

I never understood why you guys were so steadfast against retcon - because everyone here, especially the veterans, are smarter and wiser than they were when they started this and we've all found better, more intelligent ways to do things.

So if the fact that virtually all resources are practically unlimited poses a problem, then fix it..

I hate to rain on people's parades here, but it's kinda why the entire storyline for this RP seems beyond sophomoric and if you were to take one of the major plotlines in this RP and make it into a book people would tell you the story was fucking stupid and completely unenjoyable because of how everything is godlike.

But it is what it is, folks. I kind of went off on a tangent, but that's what's been going through my mind. The ultimate goal is to make a setting that other people would not only like to play in, but is enjoyable to read from a fiction standpoint.

Just my two cents.

Still, however, don't retcon it.

Roleplay has been done with it. Things have been done with it. The certain currencies. You retcon small things, or very very recent things. You don't, however, retcon major setting things.

If it is to happen, let it go IC. I have no qualms about it, but remember...

There are reasons for why all the world doesn't have the same bill.

Do you really think that makes any sort of sense?

It doesn't matter if major RP events have occurred. If something is broken, you fix it.

The need for currency entails some form of capitalism, but I really don't see the need for capitalism or markets because ultimately, no one should ever be poor or want for any of the necessities of life.

Why?

Because resources are effectively unlimited. Market forces do not exist under this scenario because the supply is limitless, therefore the demand will always be satisfied.

Therefore, everyone should be communist. Matter of fact, why wouldn't you be communist? There's no scarce resources to exploit in order to generate wealth.

This would be easily doable if many of the setting's powerful corporations sat down and agreed to begin trading in a certain new currency in the interests of promoting intergalactic free trade. If corporations in the SARP are overly-loyal to their parent nations, they aren't being roleplayed well. All they'd really have to do is form their own, extra-national advisory organization and bank to do so. Each nation would thus keep its own money for sentimentality's sake within its borders, but trading and price listings would be conducted with a universal currency.

However, what would be the point of having a universal currency if it would be equal to 1KS/HS? I'd ask why the HS is even equal to the KS, but that's a different argument that doesn't belong here. If it is equal to the KS, it wouldn't change any of the prices; Yamataian goods would still be more expensive in Nepleslia and Nepleslian goods would still less expensive in Yamatai.

In general - the way the corporations are played in this setting aren't the profit-driven beasts we have come to know in our real lives, but rather just another governmental department that effectively builds everything.

The problem is that isn't true in Abwehr. Sure, there are only three main corporations listed...but that's mainly because I'm too lazy to create multiple corporations.

The Abwehran Star Empire has limited resources and is a profit-driven society. There are poor people, there is poverty, unfortunately...I've been pretty bad at showing this in roleplay mainly due to time issue.

But...back to the main point. Not all nations, current or future, will follow the same basic principle. Some may want to create their own capitalist societies or want to roleplay a limited resource nation. Thus a universal credit would work for the major 'super powers' of SARP, but not everyone else.

In actuality, I'm fine with Yamatai, UOC, and Nepleslia having this type of currency. They've been around long enough (except for UOC, but that's beside the point) to have need for a universal currency. Many of the smaller or newer nations (Abwehrans, Azorians, etc.) will probably not benefit from this til later.

Just to note, just because you don't read about any civilian mega-corporations doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means we haven't written them yet, for multiple reasons.

I myself have been working to build up a civilian corporation that will more or less be used exclusively for Nepleslian plots...but a civilian corporation none-the-less. It's safe to assume there are plenty like it in every civilization.

In the IRC, it was spoken of making the UC into an international trade currency, while keeping the current national currencies. I like this idea far more than either randomly changing or retconning the current stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back