• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Submission Updated the "Freespacer Character Creation" page to "Voidfolk" standards.

Primitive Polygon

🎖️ Game Master
The Freespacer character creation page has been totally renovated to refer to "Voidfolk" now;

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=guide:freespacers

Did this for a couple of reasons, but mostly because I've noticed it is now next to impossible to recruit any new player characters, when they are constantly being relayed to litterally decades-old information with not much modern relevance... Technically speaking the actual relevant information on this character creation page hasn't changed much, though. I merely optimized it for new player use, and kept it more 'need to know'.

Additionally, in character, I'll personally be refering to Freespacers as Voidfolk from now on.... Might rub some super older users the wrong way?... But I think it's time for a bit of a clean cut. Too much in modern media has changed IRL, never mind the actual history of this site.

It's up to other people if they feel like the namespace needs changing.

The Tech Scum faction has existed as evil NPCs for other GMs to use for a while now, either way.

This is just an update to allow actual new player characters to exist.

Just a heads up incase anybody thought I was doing something too drastic. This thread is for yelling at me, if you think I'm doing that, I guess.

Thanks for reading.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's cool with me. I think that it's a change for good reasons and I appreciate you working on it. I'll gave a reasonable time (3 days) for folks to object if they have some reason and if there's no compelling reason against it, I intend to approve this.

Thanks Wes. It's something I have been thinking about for a long time.

Still appreciate all the help and guidance that people like Lamb and Born On Board once gave me, but... Yeah...

At this point, I just think it's best to break off 'modern' spacers into their own nomenclature and ethnic group.

Last edited:
I don't think the faction name change to "voidfolk" is necessary because it makes the wealth of historical information on the Freespacer faction harder to research for the sought-after "new player" characters.

Last edited:
Having dealt with new players, I can tell you bombarding them with a giant wall of articles does *not* help. Especially when a bunch of them are outdated.

What's the point in them learning the type system, if the Free State no longer exists as an organisation? (*GM*s keep messaging me like it exists even after *ten years!*)

Still, it refers to Freespacers specifically as precursors in the history section.

The new name gives a break between new and old lore. That is the specific intention. I am afraid I can't apologise for that. My time and energy has value.

That makes perfect sense to me that you want to put your stuff in your box and Jess's old stuff stays in the Freespacer box to reduce confusion.

There's not a lot of "Voidfolk" history yet but everything has to start somewhere. As for me I'm just grateful you're here and being creative since 2007. I also love the art you've given the Voidfolk, it's very inspiring for RP. Thank you.

And with that it's been about 3 days so I'm going to mark this as approved.

Can't say the ideas have always been successful, but the lore certainly has never stopped developing in-thread and in-character over the years. Many ideas from people I care about, and would prefer to keep around! The current situation is a great time to push again, and I appreciate the opportunity to get past the old baggage.

Thanks for the support, people!~

Wish you’d just made something new and original instead of claiming that everything significant about the Freespacers is actually irrelevant and slapping a name swap on them. But what’s done is done. I’ll still call them Freespacers.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back