• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Usami Ran

Chigusa

Inactive Member
Name: Usami Ran

General Information

Species: Nekovalkyrja NH-27

Family / Creators:
Usami Shimanji (Father) - Deceased
Usami Ayame (Mother) - Deceased
Usami Anabi (Little Brother) - Alive, orphaned

Employer: Star Army of Yamatai
Current Assignment: YSS Sakura, Caretaker

Physical Characteristics

1167031490195.jpg

Height: 165 cm (5'6'')
Weight: 47 kg (104 lb)
Measurements: B93 W54 H84 cm (B37 W21 H33 in)
Bra Size: 34C

Build and Skin Colour: Incredibly attractive, with skin the color of normal flesh.
Facial Features and Eye Colour: Beautiful face with oriental features and steel gray eyes.
Hair Colour and Style: Purple hair which comes down to her shoulders. She has a blue ribbon upon the back of it.

Distinguishing Features: Probably one of the most attractive women in the Star Army. It is to be noted that her eyes are of irregular color. She is a Nekovalkyrja, but still has her pinky.

Psychological Characteristics

Personality:
Honorable and always calm. Ran follows the teachings of Bushido and the Hagakure. She believes that a samurai must always have a master and if ones master is killed, a samurai is not to become a ronin, but instead to commit ritual seppuku. To her, her master is her officer aboard a ship. She is as loyal as it gets and a very adept warrior. She is a valuable addition to any crew. Her goal is to become a famous and honored woman samurai, and to earn Yui's Blood Medallion. If she did, it would mean that she was a truly skilled samurai, and she could die in peace.

Anecdote:
She absolutely adores cats.

Likes: Good cooking, pleasantries, polite people, other Samurai
Dislikes: Bad cooking, rude people, the Mishhuvurthyar
Goals: Though nearly impossible, she wishes to earn Yui's Blood Medallion.

History

Ran was born a Geshrin in YE 8 to a poor, Japanese family. Ran was immediatly inducted to the lifestyle of a samurai, as her father was quite an advocate of the traditional Japanese ways. Because with both her, and her little brother, her parents could not make enough money to sustain them both, they pleaded with the Ketsurui to adopt her into their clan so she might live a good life, even if they could not.

The Ketsurui accepted the plea, on the condition that her father give up all legal ties to Ran beforehand, and vote on behalf of the Ketsurui on all public affairs. So the deal was done. At the age of only 3 years old, Ran was adopted by the Ketsurui and swapped into an NH-9 body. She trained for many years under the Samurai lifestyle, and mastered the old Japanese art of Kurama-Ryu Kenjutsu.

Only mere days afterward, she was pulled aside and told that her real parents were dead. She asked what had happened, but was given no explanation. She assumed they had fallen ill during a business expedition to another world. Ran begged to be let go from the Ketsurui so that she may pursue her life.

Sidenote: She advanced her body model every 6 years from the NH-9 until she was 18

She was told she could never leave the Ketsurui, but when she said she wanted to join the Star Army of Yamatai, it was agreed that she would be allowed to as long as she never cut off ties with Ketsurui. At the age of 18, she swapped into an NH-27 body and joined the Star Army.

Through the next four years she served loyally and honorably and completed many various tasks given to her, until eventually she reached the rank of Nitô Juni. One day, just before she was going to head back to Yamatai on shore leave (after four years straight of service), she was told that she was being transferred to the YSS Sakura.

After a brief respite aboard the Sakura, she was immediatly thrust into battle twice in the next 24 hours. She was hardly seen at all during the first battle, but in the second, she commited herself to the fight against the Mishhuvurthyar and made mincemeat out of a large number of their ships and attack pods.

Anecdote:
Due to Kurama-Ryu Kenjutsu utilizing the pinky to put pressure upon the hilt of the sword, her pinky was kept when she soul transfered to an NH-27. Though it could also be said that she was merely used to it being there.

Skills

Communication: Ran is familiar with basic radio operation and procedures and can make transmissions to and receive transmissions from other characters through headsets, starships, power armor, and shuttles in both combat and non-combat conditions. Ran is fluent in English and Japanese.. She can speak and write both correctly and efficiently and can write reports, fill forms, issue orders under fire, etc. She is also proficient in Telepathy.

Fighting: Ran received hand-to-hand combat training, followed up with a rigorous training program. She is adept in the art of kenjutsu, and practices it daily. She is skilled and experienced in combat both in Yamatai-like conditions and in zero-gravity, with and without weapons. Weapons she is trained in include energy pistols, knives, swords, and power armor.

Technology Operation: Ran is capable of operating any computer system that uses the Kessaku OS, found on all Star Army starships. She is proficient in entering and/or searching for information.

Mathematics: Ran received basic mathematics training, up to and including algebra and trigonometry.

Physical: Throughout her life Ran has honed her body to near perfection. Not only is she immensely attractive, she is also able to run much faster, jump much higher, and strike much quicker and harder than the average NH-27. Her mastery of Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu, and Battoujutsu is complete. She knows all advanced techniques of the Kurama-Ryu school.

Domestic: Due to her many long years serving as the "woman of the house" in her family, Ran is adept at quickly and efficiently completing domestic household chores, including sewing together ripped clothes, basic cooking, cleaning, and fixing minor problems with many things. She is versatile, but she is not a master of any household chore. However, even the basics are very useful!

Knowledge: Ran was born with an abnormally high intellect. Therefore she has quite the ability to retain information. She has learned many things about her universe, including the laws of Yamatai, the history of the known universe, and intergalactic politics.

Culinary: Ran has a basic understanding of advanced culinary arts. She has read one book on the subject.

Specific Masteries and Disciplines

"Kurama-ryu": Ran has mastered the Kurama-ryu school of kenjutsu. She has complete knowledge of all techniques and disciplines used in the school, as well as muscle memory on all specific strikes used in the Kurama-ryu school of kenjutsu and the physical agility and strength to back it up.

SARAH Piloting: Ran has extremely extensive training in piloting SARAH armor, and has very toned reflexes. She is a veteran pilot.

Hari-kiri: Ran knows how to commit traditional seppuku if ordered to.

"Bakuenryu": Technique Mastered- A series of strikes starting from an upward vertical strike which is continued repeatedly during a flip over the target. The user then twirls while above the target and brings the blade down upon the other side of the target. This twirl allows the user to continue facing the target after the technique has been used.

Inventory

* Uniform:
o 2 Star Army bodysuit uniforms (Contents below)
+ 2 stretch bodysuits, blue, with appropriate panel colors
+ 2 mesh undershirts, light blue translucent
with "Hinomaru" patch on right arm, fleet patch on left arm
+ 2 pair mesh stockings, light blue translucent
+ 1 pair leather gloves, dark gray
+ 1 pair leather boots, dark gray
+ 1 pistol belt, leather, dark gray, with holster for Type 28 NSP
o Weather Uniform
+ 1 black tricorner hat, thick felt with red border
+ 1 black overcoat, thigh length
o Uniform accessories
+ 1 Rank Pin, Nitô Juni
-------------------------------------
nito_juni_1_tiny.gif

-------------------------------------

* Civilian and workout clothing
o 1 yukata (cotton robe), white, with Star Army of Yamatai
Hinomaru logo print
o 1 black sash for yukata
o 2 black bikini swimsuit bottom with Star Army of Yamatai logo on left leg
o 2 black T-shirts with pocket on left breast
o 1 pair black sandals
* Undergarments
o 4 black panty
o 6 black sport bras (double as swimsuit top)
o 4 pair of black boot socks

* Weaponry and Tools:
o Ketsurui Zaibatsu Type 28C Nekovalkyrja Service Pistol
with 2 additional BR-28A Battery Magazines
o Survival knife, solid diamond with rubberized grip and lanyard
with black leather sheath with loop and clips for belt attachment
o Zesuaium, Diamond-coated LASER sharpened Katana with traditional metal sheath and belt-clips.
o Zesuaium, Diamond-coated LASER sharpened Wakizashi with traditional metal sheath and belt-clips.
o Zesuaium, Diamond-coated LASER sharpened Tanto with traditional metal sheath and leather garter to attach to leg.

* Wooden Medal Case, velvet interior, engraved with Star Army logo on top
o No Medals

* Vehicles:
o SARAH armor
+ Aether Katana
+ Aether Rifle

* Personal Hygiene:
o 1 Bottle of shampoo
o 1 Bottle liquid body soap
o 1 Toothbrush and tube of toothpaste
o 2 washcloths, white
o 2 towels, white

* Electronics
o Electronic Money Card: 2000KS

Kill Tally:

Approx. 40+ Attack Pods
3 Ore Ships
1 Xianthrafruglu Gunship (1 Assist)

1 -- Doesn't the Sakura already have Jo? Will they have room/need for another sword-toting Neko? You may want to consult Wes first to see if it's doable.

2 -- Ketsurui Samurai have certain required skills, some of which you're missing. You may want to change your accordingly.

* Communication: A Ketsurui Samurai is familiar with radio operation and procedures and can make transmissions to and receive transmissions from other characters through telepathy, starships, and power armor, under any conditions.
* Fighting: All Ketsurui Samurai are masters of melee combat. Each is skilled and experienced in combat both in Yamatai-like conditions and in zero-gravity, with and without weapons. Weapons she is expert in include energy pistols, swords, spears, staves, knives, and power armor. Ketsurui Samurai are also trained with grenades, rifles, machine-guns, and a variety of randomized exotic weaponry.
* Information Technology: A Ketsurui Samurai is capable of operating any computer system that uses the Kessaku OS, found on all Star Army starships. She is proficient in entering and/or searching for information.
* Knowledge: All Ketsurui Samurai are familiar with the laws of the Yamatai Star Empire.
* Language: A Ketsurui Samurai is very fluent in English and Japanese, and calligraphy of both.
* Mathematics: A Ketsurui Samurai received basic mathematics training, to including up to algebra and trigonometry.

3 -- Bust size seems a bit big for a sword fighter. Since you'd get to choose your body when you upgrade, wouldn't someone who relies heavily on physical combat prefer a more compact size?

Character Approved!

I wish it hadn't been approved so quickly. After looking through the profile and thinking it over, it still seems...wrong in a way. I brought some stuff up last night I think was kinda brushed off ((though with YIM, I'm sure that no one saw the suggestions)) Anyways, lemme explain

- The fact that she is a samurai not from birth is off. I had always thought that samurai were born, not trained from a geshrin that transfered to a NH-27 body. It was my idea that the Samurai order were born, trained and conditioned, then put into service immediatly.

- The fact that she has a NH-27 body with no real reason for it is also odd. Aren't NH-27 bodies supposed to be special really? That not everyone can get them? A reward for good serice like how Lain earned her's through outstanding service. I thought the NH-27 model was more of a weapon, not given out to civilians.

- The fact that she "joined" the Ketsurui family is also odd. Kotori was adopted in simply because she was so close to Hanako, and was originally Ketsurui Kotori if I am correct. Isn't the Ketsurui family supposed to be somewhat elite, either born into it or adopted in for amazing service or deeds? With her history, I really don't see that fact anywhere.

- Another point is that she left the samurai order. I always figured that once they graduated, it was a "there till death" deal. I mean Kotori left but before she had graduated, and Jo was kicked out. How did she leave? Simply say "Goodbye" and the samurai let her go after all her training? Was she kicked out? And it still brings up questions of how she even got in there.

Those are my biggest irks over the profile. The pinky thing is a little odd though it should be noted if not. Also Chiggy, the samurai also have only 4 fingers, ((Please see Midori's picture.)) Also, the Attractive woman thing is a little different and definantly used in other profiles, Ateast I think.

In Kenjutsu, the pinky is one of the fingers pressure is put on.

That's a huge issue I have with the Nekovalkyrja not having pinkies.

They are absolutely not "useless."

And everything else is just history-wise, and can be corrected at any time.

P.S.: Tiff told me that the NH-27 is a Samurai model.

I have some concerns too.

• Firstly, there is the matter of joining the Ketsurui Samurai. Though I understand that Hanako and Yui, namely, are honorary members... the norm goes that Ketsurui Samurai have - thus far - been presented as an elite which were born to the order and followed a set of stringent rules. It seems out of character to me to see a geshrin become a NH-27 (how did she gain access to this?) and train as a samurai.

I'm not arguing against it being done. I'd just like a dang good explanation for it since there were precedent and this causes - in my eyes - a few inconsistancies.
  • Might I add that a year of training, plus a few more years of 'duty', plus a few other 'non-noteworthy' years of participation in the Star Army of Yamatai makes a whole lot of years: did the Ketsurui Samurai even exist then? Surely there weren't any NH-27 bodies at that time too.

Not to mention I'm not entirely certain Chigusa, being a fairly new forum member, can accurately portray that long-running 'experience'. She rose in post to Santô Juni, so, yes she can make a NH-27 character and yes, the Ketsurui Samurai are considered officers - however, the Miharu is a post-intensive plotship and she has been on a posting spree... the number of posts do not reflect the player's experience well in that regard (again, this isn't an obstacle... but it could hinder Chi later if she makes beginner's mistakes and yet has a character recognised as a warrant officer).
  • Nekovalkyrja have a thumb and three fingers. I'd assume that the Ketsurui Samurai's sword fighting style would be adapted for this, so, adding a fifth digit would be useless to them.

However, since the character itself dates a while back and was apparently non-neko, this might be related. I suggest weight be put on a person being used to five fingers over 'five fingers being needed to properly wield a sword'.
  • I have not noticed any mention of joining the Ketsurui familly. The surname is different and being part of the Ketsurui Samurai, while being an extension of the Ketsurui family, does not make the samurai herself to be of noble blood (or bear the family name). That concern Tiff brought up is dispelled.
  • However, it brings up a question about how open the Ketsurui Samurai order is. Jo was redeemed. Kotori is someone whom did not complete training in the first place - but this approved character entry suggests that she might have the possibility to rejoin the samurai order... something which didn't seem to be the case. I'd like clarification, since this would change the actual outlook I had of the samurai order (and likely would hint at them being much less prone to atone for disgrace via ritual suicide).
  • Next is a purely critical point from me: Why does she look so much like Kotori? Same hair color, same eyes (I based Kotori off a raven - coincidental?) almost same height and same weight. Okay, so, she's bustier and so her measurements are different. She wears her hair shoulder length with ribbons (something I more or less dropped with Kotori). It's eerie ^_^;

Then, there's this emphasis on her being one of the most attractive women in the Star Army (in distinctive features). All nekos are pretty and putting emphasis on it seems very odd (in a overdone bombastic way)

Overall, the bio isn't all that bad... but I think some things need justification or adjustment. I suspect the rapid approval came with Wes getting ready to do a Sakura JP and picking her up because he wanted another player to his ship on short notice (he can't resist cute japanese girls... I know ~_^ ) - the late order posting already hint at that much - but this really needs a serious lookover now to stand up to long term roleplay, I believe.

I don't mean to be hard on Chi, but I think the Ketsurui Samurai are an important cultural bit for at least three other forum members - so, I'd really like the above to be taken into consideration (the Kotori likeness bit is not important, though the similar pigmentation does bother me a bit).

I did say that the history part could be dealt with later. It needs to be. I had a more correct bio, but I accidentally deleted it and just whipped up this one out of thin air to have something to stick there so that I could JP with Wes. When I get to talk to Kotori on YIM, the two of us will figure out a more proper history. Though I still stress that Japanese swordfighting is impossible without a pinky.

Although you are, clearly, correct in that... the style used in Star Army isn't necessarily of strict Japanese origin. And really, in a setting of these tech levels, swords are little more than a way to flash one's pretty elitism. I can wave my sword in flashy techniques, but it won't help me a bit when I get shot with lots of plasma at four hundred metres.

Elisa: "It's good to bring a sword to a gunfight. Just remember to also bring a gun."

Remember that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark? Yeah, it's kinda like that. Except NH-27 models can survive getting shot. ...repeatedly.

Add that to the new Sarah, and you have the rare close combat combatant that is actually *superior* to most long-range opponents.

...I think.

<s>I will be re-doing my entire history section sometime later on today.</s>

History has been redone. Please take a look.

The history has improved some. However, for the sake of some others of our forum members, I will raise another concern regarding your character's age and experience.

You have something of an extraordinary history, as far as new characters go. If this was some player whom had been around for more than 4 months or so, I'd be less compelled to raise the issue. You are giving your character a lot of experience you haven't actually lived through, which is kind of detrimental - mostly for you.

I'll explain why: by starting at a higher rank and going on the claim that your character had a very long service in either the Ketsurui Samurai and the Star Army of Yamatai, you essentially shoot yourself in the foot. Your character will be held to high in-character standard that you might not be able to actually uphold in-character. I don't mean that you're a bad roleplayer... what I mean is that everyone - regardless of roleplaying proficiency, takes a good while to really get settled in (ask Wes how many times Kotori confused SAPM with 1st XF command! XD )

It is the opinion of some here that what achievements a character obtains are best earned by getting there yourself. If this was simply an issue of a starting samurai at Santô Juni rank with one or two years of experience, I wouldn't really have to raise this point.

In a way, in giving your character this sort of past, you are also sort of trivializing what it took to get there by just making it 'background stuff'. Call me a worrywart, but I'm really not sure it is a good idea - one, for fairness in regard to other new players whom have to work their way up; and two, for making your character special due to your background and not the roleplayed growth that would have come afterwards. Three, being a Ketsurui Samurai isn't all that easy and you're taking several years of experience beyond training for granted.

Wes can always come around and say that 'it shall be so'. In the end, this character ends up on his plotship... but if this character is kept as is... well, I think you'd miss something.

I've read through every single one of the archives. If I have any questions, I'll ask them before I post an SP or a line in a JP. Sacratic method. This way I can have an enjoyable learning experience.

The character is written pretty well, but the fact that they became a Ketsurui Samurai is odd. It bothers me that a player can have a character that seems to ignore, what I think is a very important detail in the Ketsurui Samurai's description in the CCG.

Ketsurui Samurai are born into their profession but are not required to stay in it.

However, I haven't seen many Samurai played nearly as strictly as I believe they should be played, so don't listen to me. Keep up with the good writing, though :)

I tried to play Chisou as strict as they wanted a Ketsurui samurai to be, and where did it get her? Being threatened behind her back by Rufus. That and she was NPC stomped, so yeah. ~_~

I've been told my samurai character, Kosuka, was done pretty well. Maybe she's worth looking at, if you haven't already?

On a secondary note: why does she need a Lorath Searing Blade? Her SARAH unit, which I'm surprised she has as they're still experimental, comes with aether sabers.

True, it isn't. But:

Searing blade entry said:
Producer Information
Designer: Lorath Warrior House.
Manufacturer: Lorath Warrior House Artisan Division.
(Suggested) Price: Not for sale.
Individual Component Costs: Not for sale.

ICly, how is the character going to get one? Also, would it not be proper for a samurai to use the blade of the Empire, per se?

Unless Wes changed it, Ketsurui Samurai are usually issued with a zesuaium-version of their weapon of choice.

Jo has a single katana blade. Same probably went with Chisou. Kosuka had a Zesuaium tachi and wakizashi. Kotori had a katana and a wakizashi (hers are made of transparent zesuaium, though).

Since zesuaium weapons are almost indestructible and that the only thing they cannot really cut is another zesuaium surface, it'd possibly make it useful in a lot of situations. I bet a NH-27 might even put a dent in a durandium-protected power armor!

As of right now, Lorath weaponry really isn't for sale ^_^; And besides like the other two said, I always figured that a Samurai would take pride in using the weapon issued to her. Sure, Jo bought weaponry, but mostly she uses just her sword unless she is unable too.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back