• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Vector Randomization Module

It looks perfectly fine to me. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on such matters but it should be easy enough to create a software programme to do what you want. In all honesty, I was planning on piloting my power armour that way anyway so I don't see why the drones can't get in on all the dodge-y action.

I think a Mindy would be able to use that fine.

I remember Toshiro asking me about this and the recommendation to make it drone only came from me.

He initially wanted to apply it to power armor and starships, but the VRM was a tool which automated maneuvers instead of having the pilot actually roleplay out certain maneuvers. Personally, I saw it as something unbeneficial to the roleplaying side of the pilot profession.

Frankly, I'd rather have Masako and Yukari pull off evasive stunts instead of just activating the VRM. On the other hand, drones are sort of sitting ducks so something to identify how they don't always just hover there and remain targets seemed to have some sense in it.

Do keep in mind that the "anti-inertia" effect is caused by the propulsion system used on Yamatai vessels (CDD) and while the ship itself is "inertialess" (being at a stop relative to local space) the whole field-ship system is not. This is due to the immense energy needed to maintain a space-time distorting effect. While it may be able to change the direction of this field very fast (in actual effect, it would occur extremely slow due to the immense mass-energy of the field) it cannot be instant.

Then how does the ship turn normally? If I didn't read your description right, I'm sorry, but I draw that turning is difficult for a CCD from that.

Actually, a ship with a Continuum Distortion Drive doesn't actually need to turn to navigate. Most of the movements done are actually translations: you can move just as much in full reverse as you can move to the side.

You have three reasons, however, why you want to change the ship's facing. The first is to take advantage of your fixed, mostly forward-facing sensors. The second is to expose different areas of a ship's hull to enemy damage; to hopefully protect damaged area and spread the harm done to the ship's armor to insure longer running time at peak performance in a battle. The third is to take advantage of your firing arc, namely the most powerful weapons generally being front-facing.

As to how turning works... either you do it through the CDD/CFS with the drawbacks Vesper pointed out, that you do it with your gravimetric engines or through your maneuvering jets. All still work inside the CFS bubble.

What happens if the bubble collapses?

You're within a sheath of space so the collision of un-neuralized spaces against one another must have some effect.

...This is to satisfy my curiocity alone.

This looks like a good submission.

Maybe the drop in CFS power automatically restabilizes space, simply resulting in the dropping of shields or dropping out of FTL?

That's the best I can think of. Otherwise every ship to lose shields might fall through a rift in space, be destroyed, and/or damage the space it occupied at the time it happened. We'd have p(l)otholes all over space.

If a ship in a bubble of space has that bubble collapse in on itself then the ship would be almost instantly crushed. This could result in a micro-singularity from the debris being returned to space but most likely if the ship is destroyed then the bubble of 'space' would pinch off and become its own miniature universe.

Again, plotholes. That means a Yamataian vessel would be destroyed every time its shields were pierced or dropped, or everytime it disengaged FTL.

Perhaps we should assume the CFS to be an active destabilization of space, which will immediately restabilize once the forces it puts out are no longer applied. You may or may not be scientificly correct, I do not know in this case, but my idea is easier for IC history.

The energy in the field does not disappear when the control systems fail (i.e. the shield has failed). Since a distortion-based system (never mind one with a huge number of overlapping distortions) is inherently extremely unstable it would rapidly fall apart, sending out immense waves of gravimetric shear into the area inside the shield (outside the effects would be much less serious, the inside of the shield has the focused effects from the entire shield) which would tear through the ship, killing everything on board and rending the ship apart. It would not be a pretty sight (from inside, it would be distorted as hell viewed from the outside).

To the pinching off business, I am not sure one way or the other, but either way the events following the collapse of a distortion-based shield would be unpleasant in the extreme for the generating ship.

Well, we have an entire history that indicates that shields failing is not a death sentence for the ship. Accepting such a thing as canon would be disasterous and cause plotholes all over.

Now, let's get back on topic. VRM suggestions?

Maybe Yamatai just has a smart system that can safely deactivate when it senses the field is compromised.

...But I bet if it's compromised quickly enough, the desired effect can take place.

I am going to guess that most failures are not total. They are just where a weapon locally breaks through the shield. And yes, they probably do have systems that while detect when the control system is going to fail and turn off the shields (though this would have a time minimum on it, so the shields energy release wasn't in the form of a explosion).

What I said is what would happen, however, if the shield control system just crapped out on you. Not good.

Guys, this is the VRM discussion thread. I let it be discussed a little, but I can't let my thread be derailed.

Please restart this discussion in a more fitting forum. This is for the VRM submission.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back