• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Want input on new species

AWanderingMage

Inactive Member
Ok, so in response to the last sarptalk I decided to try my hand at creating a species for star army. My focus right now since I don't have a name is to try and flesh out as much detail as I can while I mull over some ideas. But first a quick overview.

My main influence for the appearance of my race is from the Protoss from Starcraft, and the varsai from sins of a solar empire. The appearance of them I really enjoy and think would make a fine addition to the universe with a few changes in ability and look for originality sake. The description can be found on the wiki page I have started for them.

Their culture I'm intending on using a mix of sources. A combination of minmatar and amarr from eve online for their government and social structure and drawing more influence from the Protoss for their tribes strengths. I'm also going to be using celtic influence for the faith such as druidism and wickianism and for some of their culture as well.

Over all I'm looking for some feed back to see what the initial response is to what I have so far. I'd also like to get a feel for what is required of a background race so I can better fit it into the universe. I've done my best to keep things level and not give them any super abilities that don't have drawbacks and I scratched the ESP/telekenisis bit in favor of a slightly different way.

So what here is the link https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=species:unamedwip&#to_do , tell me what you think.

I think the main article should have a history, biology being the focus with culture and politics having seperate articles.

I'll definitely have the history be the main page and have the culture and physiology as subarticles. Right now I'm still setting a frame to work the history back from. That way it fits easier with the current universe and can be utilized easier.

My ultimate goal with this race is making it PC capable but I know that is years off...lol.

What is its point to the setting? It sounds you're just making this because you feel like it. Not because you've seen a place and need for it.

Im not going to lie and say im not heavily interested in making this race and contributing to the setting in some way. I view this more as a positive thing that I would be willing to see this creating through this long process so it actually has some meaning for the community than just another footnote flavor text addesuave maintained for a small time only to be discarded via lack of interest. I'm not accusing by saying this but I know that is whatom up against suggesting this race considering I am still only a veteran role player here and not legendary status or more.

However I do see a place for this race once I have been able to really add a great deal of depth and scope to their background and detail. The niche Iforgiving for is a zealous tribal society revrent around nature that is looking to expand. They aren't aggressive as to start wars they don't need and the type of technology they can develop would use a crystalline technology I haven't see any other species develop enmass. If there is another species that fill these rolls I've listed please let me know...lol. I'd rather not double dip with another and make things harder for either of us, but as far as I've looked I didn't find any like my ideas.

Abwehran Commander said:
Wouldn't the reason be Wes' cry for diversity?
Yup! Link to his topic for reference.
Link:https://stararmy.com/roleplay/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8425
That is also the main reason for me to start really putting my ideas to the grindstone so I can contribute to the growth of this community. I hope this answers your questions.

Abwehran Commander said:
Wouldn't the reason be Wes' cry for diversity?
While it may provide the impetus for the creation, a species without any OOC point to their IC existence in the setting is simply going to sit and rot. As has been pointed out multiple times, we have NUMEROUS unused species with existing wiki pages.

Diversity for diversity's sake accomplishes little if there are no other criteria to ensure its quality and usefulness.

To a word: No. You have not answered my question. What is this race's contribution to the metaplot? As Nepleslian GM, I am happy to see new players show such interest in the setting. But at the same time, you need to convince me that you have a solid idea of what to do. This is the same thing I throw at everyone who thinks they have a great idea for a race so I'm not picking on you (since I do it to everyone). I am here to ensure you know that I am here to pick apart every detail to make sure your submission is so waterproof, liquids evaporate on contact.

That is a very valid point that I have not developed yet. I will have to study the other main races a bit and see what kind of place mine could fill. When I have that idea I will post again, and no I don't feel like you are picking on me. Heck I'm happy it's getting this much scrutiny too! Will only serve to make a more solid addition to the universe if I can figure it all out, So thank you!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back