• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

FrostJaeger

Chief Parakeet
Banned Member
  • Submission Type: Article Update
  • Submission URL: Linky
  • Original Article URL: Linky
  • Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Nope.
  • Contains Links to Unapproved Articles? Yep.
  • Contains New Art? Nope.
  • Previously Submitted? Nope.
  • Changelog: Linky
Tis' nothing but a minor flesh wound just a little something I wrote up. It - in my humble opinion and with no offense meant towards @Arieg - has the following advantages...
  • It (mostly) preserves the pre-existing formatting of the current template, thereby lessening the visual differences between newer articles and older articles.
  • It does not drastically increase the complexity of weapon submissions, as virtually all of the newly-added fields are not mandatory - they're either "if applicable" or "optional".
  • It does not drastically increase the background knowledge required to create weapon articles - as it doesn't require anything more then the current template already does - and even provides links to several helpful Wikipedia articles.
  • It does not force content creators to include extraordinarily-oversized lists in their submissions.
  • It does not attempt to impose more realism on weapons within the setting.
...over what Arieg submitted here; lastly, I am formally requesting that the checklist be used by whomever reviews this submission.

Last edited:
The template would violate the wiki style guide because all section headers must be followed by some text content. Almost all of the template is bullet lists.

Okay, what if we exchange out some of the bullet lists for small, two-column tables so it looks neater? Thoughts?

Tables are okay for small bits of data and they work better if not in a WRAP.

Sentences don't belong in tables.

Here is an unfinished example of the new template in use for the weapon I intend to submit in lieu of the Charged Aether Rifle. It's very much a WIP and parts have been cut out, but it should be a semi-accurate example of how the template will look in practice.

@Wes I think energy source, weapon mechanisms, and the discharge info should be taken out of tables....those are going to be full of sentences.

That's a good point. Especially for things like "retort."

amrthrowbackthursday.com_wp_content_uploads_2017_09_Retort.jpg

Also, I was thinking on these an in general there's just a huge amount of crap that basically doesn't matter for RP at all. I don't think it's necessary to come up with the stats expected of real guns, we should just be able to put the Damage Tier, fluff, and call it a day. Isn't the proposed template overkill for a space opera RP?

That's a good point. Especially for things like "retort."

View attachment 14855

Also, I was thinking on these an in general there's just a huge amount of crap that basically doesn't matter for RP at all. I don't think it's necessary to come up with the stats expected of real guns, we should just be able to put the Damage Tier, fluff, and call it a day. Isn't the proposed template overkill for a space opera RP?

@Wes - With the exception of the "Power Source" section (as there shouldn't be any need for sentences in that section, in my opinion), I've followed the suggestions @Syaoran made here and converted the "Discharge Information" and "Weapon Mechanisms" sections back to bulleted lists; to help remedy the (understandable) feeling that the template is "overkill", I've made the "[Muzzle/Beam/etc.] Velocity" fields optional like they were in the original template - thus making formatting and the addition of some optional sections the only differences between the update and the aforementioned original.

Edit: After a discussion with Immortal, I've gone ahead and reverted the "Power Source" section to a bulleted list as well.

Last edited:
To be honest I think we're just better off to sticking to the original with some modifications.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back