• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What are the limits on the standard Mindy CFS?

alhazred23

Inactive Member
I just had a few questions about specifics, as the Mindy CFS seems to have some limitations that starship-level CFS systems do not, such as not being able to raise a Barrier Shield without a [Ke-M2-P2904 Barrier Shield Module]:

1) How do projectile weapons work with the Mindy CFS? Can the Mindy open 'windows' in the CFS bubble, or do pilots need to momentarily turn off CFS to use things like the [Ke-M2-W2905 Shoulder-Fired 50mm Gauss Cannon]? I suppose switching could done to nano-second timing by the computer, but that could still make 'run and gun' tactics awkward.

2) Can a Mindy make 'omnidirectional' attacks with energy weapons through the CFS?

3) What's the difference between CFS-powered Nodal Support Drones (NSD) and Nodal Support Bits (NSB)? Other than size, they seem to be exactly the same, and NSDs are the only armor-mounted slave drones that are 'hand-sized' rather than 'finger sized.' Just curious about this one.

Wes & Co developed CFS back in the day.

"Stuff going in/Stuff going out" isn't really thought about, sadly.

I mean by definition, you could very easily create a weapon that would disrupt a CFS and in moments, the collapse of the field would destroy anything inside it.

Hmm... well, if we assume that CFS bubbles are in some sense still 'tethered to' or partially 'in synch' with normal space, matter/energy interactions between CFS space and normal space could be regulated to varying degrees to produce the desired effects (FTL travel, shielding, etc.). At the same time, the hazards of catatrophic collapse could also be mitigated by consequently assuming that when a CFS space collapses, it's entire contents get violently spat back into normal space rather than simply disappearing.

The problem of stuff going in and out of the bubble is a bit harder to explain. I'd say that if you want to interact with normal space to the degree necessary to fire weapons through a CFS, you would have to either:

A)Program the CFS bubble to 'synchronize' with real space at the exact moment that weapons fire would exit the field. This is problematic because it would create an opening in your defenses at that exact moment in time, and it would mean that starships would not be able to 'run and gun' at CFS-enhanced speeds.

B)Allow the CFS bubble to control the trajectory and exit location of objects passing through the field. This is the justification used for energy attacks; the CFS can determine exact position and direction of an attack exiting the 'outside' of the bubble, regardless of where the attack struck the 'inside' of the bubble. This could easily be applied to matter as well as energy, though it could result in some truly strange effects.

The problem here is that, while your field is acting in this fashion, you are not bending space to a degree that enemy fire cannot interact with your ship. Instead, you have to use the computer systems to do the same thing with objects entering the field; i.e., an unguided shell is flying at your ship, so you alter its trajectory as it emerges from the 'inside' of the bubble so that it will pass harmlessly by. This technique would be harder to use against guided weapons, however, and it also might not be effective against an attack that could blanket the entire area that the CFS occupies in normal space, such as a huge swarm of small high-speed impactors or a ultra-wide field beam weapon.

Quick aside: Mindy CFS differs from Starship CFS in that it lacks the space nestling shield by default. You need either the Sylph Pack or the Barrier Shield Module to get CFS-style protection. Without either of those, the Mindy doesn't have much more than a CDD.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure option 'B' is what happens with matter as well as energy. Most energy is particles anyway so extending it to dense packets of particles (like a shell) is just a small logic jump.

As for protective shielding, doesn't the CFS combine aspects of gravity, magnetic and distortion based shielding? The distortion based part being the reason for this question of course, but it's not the only shield-type in the CFS. Which does aliviate some of the concerns about high speed impacts, wide-field beam weapons, etc.

And yes, to my knowledge if you have full CFS-style shielding (because you're the same as a Starship then - and they can), you can make omidirectional attacks with your weaponry. Most people don't think too much about it, but it's a handy thing to have.

Now, as for the difference between NSDs and NSBs...well I think there was a small mix up with some c/p at one point which made them identical. It's something that needs sorting out though I think NSBs are half as strong as NSDs...I think.

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew the Mindy CFS was limited, but i wasn't sure exactly how limited. The omnidirectional attack capability of full CFS does offer up some rather interesting options; i'll have to see about getting that barrier pack on future missions...

RPG-D RPGfix
Back