• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What kind of computer hardware is in use in SARP?

SensualCoder

Some articles mention the processing core as a neural network, sometimes a cyberbrain or other similar device. Some others, like the Misshu, have organic computers, or even actual living brains! So my question is, what is the standard for computing technology in the setting?

I ask because I was thinking about writing up an article on how some of the main computer systems worked, the way OSes are handled in different factions, and the programming languages and interfaces used. It is mostly just for the sake of my own curiosity, though :p

As you already pointed out. The Answer is there is not a single computer technology. Each Faction tends to develop their own, with their own Operating system. The MIKO used by the UOC, was intended to be a Yamatai system, but with the split and the UOC needing their own, it went with them.

Yamatai primarily uses quantum computers using the Kessaku series OSes. Some have AI software.

MissingNo said:
Please don't take this negatively, but why do we need an article or details on the programming languages? Summarizing the differences in the systems sounds good.

Mm, seconded, you only really need to know where the programming will encounter a kludge in interface with other systems. For example when a first contact scenario occurs, you won't have immediate transmission of hails, greetings, and picture of your wife and kids; heck even getting on the same frequency or method of transmission is a feat in and of itself.

The Luna II RP I've been working on with Arieg uses that as something of a device right now.

Similarly, even if translation software for language, programming or otherwise, exists you still have to be able to affect a proper interface of commands between the tech. I mean, you don't just plug a USB drive into a Q-computer, right?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back