• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

What Occupation Is The Most Fun to Play?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
What character occupation (MOS) is the most fun to play on Star Army? Is there a particular role or job that just really gets you excited to roleplay?

Which occupation excels in giving you good RP scenarios?

On the other hand, what character occupation(s) don't seem to work that well for RP?

I was mainly thinking in terms of Star Army MOSes but I'd love to see answers for other factions too.

Ranger. Even though it's no longer an MOS anymore, I really love playing one.

I really like starship operator, but I don't have as much experience in such things and I feel like unless you really know what your doing it's harder to write for. Even though I think operating a big space ship is so awesome.

What I think doesn't work so well is pretty much any non combat roll outside of medic. But that's just my preference.

Operative is the best and most fun occupation. They fit well on away teams, can be a nerd on the bridge (or with sciences doing secret research), and are a Star Army party’s traditional rogue/scout/ranger character that takes point/sniper duties/stealther. When assigned to the Rikugun, they’re long range patrol soldiers stuck in the worst spots to watch and report. And then beyond the traditional plotship paradigm, Operatives can undertake a myriad of secret agent and advisory roles. This occupation is like playing Infantry+ and is the Star Army’s true renaissance man occupation.

Not so fresh occupations? From the playable list, the 15 series. Vehicle operators and mecha pilots. They just don’t see play. And I’d imagine the best mecha pilots in the Star Army are just Infantry Neko who have mastered the Immersion System.

There's nothing like captain and it has to be my favorite. When I'm captaining, I'm GMing and that's the most fun I can have on Star Army.

I think some honorable mentions are science officer and analyst. I really like the act of scanning and investigating as a player and I believe it can help explore the story the GM is trying to tell and can propel the science fiction parts of the plot, too. It also puts me into a very cerebral writing realm that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Engineer (and scientist) are the most fun MOSs in my opinion, because if your GM allows it you can quite literally MacGuyver your way out of just about any situation. :3

I think any occupation can be interesting because the main thing is the character dynamics and conflicts that arise from there. I'd say that when it comes to good RP, probably 80% is having a good character. MOS selection is minor. What you want when selecting a MOS is someone who is always going to be close to the 'action' of the plot. In Star Army, most of the time that's infantry.

For my two cents, I personally like medical because it gives you conflict "Am I going to save this person" and gives you a good reason to be near the action "people might get hurt".

Personally I have enjoyed playing a chef. I just feel this role is always in with the crew so opens up many ways to interact. It can be laid back or can be intense or really whatever is required in the moment. Plus who doesn't like getting some cookies and milk.

I'm going to have to echo Frostjaeger and put my vote up for Engineer... or at least however you've renamed the archetype of the Technical Sentry.

I think, for the average SARPer starting out, that it's one of the best occupations since it gives you something to do in the majority of situations involving a plotship.

Ship combat? No doubt you're busy helping the ship stay together, or contributing to give it this extra edge?

Boarders? You're one of the first line of defense against both the dangers and the havok they may cause.

Away missions? You're pretty handy with sidearms too, and can leap inside a power armor as needed. Extended stay away from the ship? You have the knowhow to fixup that shuttle, power armor or accessory.

Equipment touches every crewmember of the ship, so, you have plenty of excuses to interact with people, even the officers on the bridge if an item requires maintenance. Like IT, every branch relies on you to run well. Which, indirectly, makes you learn on the job about every branch too.

And, once you're truly settled and acclimated to SARP/in the plot and that you're participation are allowing you those rank promotions, you get to fairly easily orient yourself toward a more senior ship position. The easiest is tactical (since you're already kind of a combatant), but you're an handy person to fill in any vacancy a GM feels he might have higher-up where he thinks you might shine.

Its no secret that my favorite MOS to play is the Star Army of Yamatai Clerk! I love the organization and paperwork aspect of it. Though I did have a clerk that saw some action and that was insanely exciting as well.

For good RP its a toss up as I have seen amazing things come out of so many different MOS occupations that people play. Soldiers, medics, and science officers have always been a fun read, though to me its really the player that makes the character. So the right player in an MOS that really gets them going could sway my opinion.

Its no secret that my favorite MOS to play is the Star Army of Yamatai Clerk! I love the organization and paperwork aspect of it. Though I did have a clerk that saw some action and that was insanely exciting as well.

For good RP its a toss up as I have seen amazing things come out of so many different MOS occupations that people play. Soldiers, medics, and science officers have always been a fun read, though to me its really the player that makes the character. So the right player in an MOS that really gets them going could sway my opinion.
Rather terrifying, and maybe ironic, that the SARP rep for the Chaotic alignment is attracted to bureaucracy.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back