• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What should I do for Molecular Welding?

Abwehran Commander

Inactive Member
A long time ago, when I created the Abwehrans, I gave them a specific list of technologies they were able to use. This was back during the days when I didn't do very much research into my technologies and was just throwing out ideas.

Now that I am older however, I know better. Unfortunately, I'd rather not retcon technology without good reason so I've decided to ask SARP.

The Abwehrans have been able to use Molecular Welding since the beginning, but I've never been able to properly explain it. Because of this, I'm having a rather hard time completing the basic Tool Kit for military Field Technicians.

After a bit of research into Basic Welding techniques and Molecular Bonding, I've come up with a few ideas for a portable Molecular Welding System. Unfortunately, I don't know how believable either system is, so I'd like some opinions on the matter.

The first style of device I was thinking about would be an Electron Particle Beam Welder used to excite the electrons of atoms in a molecule in order to force a bond between two similar molecules.

The second style of device is a Laser Welder that can work in a similar way to the first style.

The final method would actually be a chemical catalyst rather than a mechanism. Applying chemicals to a duct tape style applier, the tape would be placed in between to piece of material that are touching and create a chemical reaction that would force similar molecules to bond.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter, but if none of them are feasible, I'll probably just settle for a miniaturized version of welding techniques of today.

Well, Basic welding of two pieces of the same kind of metal, or two compatible pieces of metal really is rearranging the metal and bonding it together on the molecular scale. It just so happens that the welds usually aren't tiny.

Well I think that any race that has had contact with another faction in SARP and has FTL is allowed to have

Well wielding can primarly by: (<--editing to provide links)
Plasma Torcher wielders (civilain)
SARP repair kits (only the Premium is non-civilian)
Utility Goo and CASTER TAPE (last one or two months)

Because the Freespacer are one of the two original engineering races on SARP, I believe that at one point the Freespacers had their one unique form of wielding and construction. Since your faction allows for Freespacers on more equal terms than any other race in SARP, I have asked raz to personally provide his input rahter than say what I think

Aside: The other special engineering race on SARP is the Azoreans. The Azoreans have a special form of atomic wielding called ultrasonic wielding. Unlike other forms of wielding, ultrasonic wielding is invasive, so you don't run the risk of over-melting the material. So ... you don't have to be a technician to wield or repair you ship. However, my experience on SARP lately tells me I am not sure if people want ultrasonic wielding especially considering the alternatives. I know for a fact from talking to Wes and Fred that the orgins of the technology itself are very unpopular.

Molecular welding is middle tier nano-scale construction. Simply put, instead of taking bars of metal and alternately heating, pressing, and hammering them into the desired form you take more-or-less prefabricated sections of that metal (like a lattice of iron packed with carbon) and squeeze them together until the macro-molecules chemically bond from the heat and pressure.

The advantage of this form of fabrication over traditional macro-fabrication techniques we're used to today is that the design flaws are almost universal across every item produced on the same assembly line (or vat, aerosol chamber, etc).

I would hazard aguess that this method is also somewhat faster and cheaper compared to atom-by-atom nanoassembly, though your prefebricated sections would probably be of this type anyways. By fabricating multiple pieces and then joining them together in a repeatable process across multiple products you cut costs for very little reduction in overall quality. It's the same thing as modern ship construction.

EDIT: on the subject of a portable MolWeld kit, it might be some sort of contact force-field welder, a nanite reliant device, or maybe something of the two ocmbined; however, I know how much we don't want to use nanites in our tech, so I'd suggest the force-field method. I recall reading an article about a company that is currently poineering the technology with shaped EM fields, so it's not entirely science fiction.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back