• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What skill area does creative writing fall under?

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
This is going to be quite a short question I think, but I was just wondering, under what cattegory falls the ability to write creatively?

Art and Vocations (sculpting, painting, drawing, anime, gem cutting, etc.)
Biology (Includes genetics, xenobiology, zoology, etc.)
Chemistry (terraforming, creating new substances, etc.)
Communications (proficiency in communication; writing and speaking, Includes cryptography)
Construction (masonry, carpentry, nanoconstruction)
Culinary (bakers, chefs, butchers, cooks)
Demolitions (explosives identification, manufacture, handling, disposal)
Domestic (Includes things like laundry, basic cooking, cleaning, infant care)
Engineering (designing and building something)
Entertainment (acting, storytelling, belly dancing, performing, sexual techniques, playing an instrument, singing etc.)
Fighting (Martial arts, power armor, hand-to-hand combat, weapons)
Humanities (psychology, sociology, anthropology, diplomacy, and philosophy)
Knowledge (History, law, reference, memory)
Leadership (public speaking, intelligence, command, diplomacy, recognizing ambush points, etc.)
Maintenance and Repair (The skill needed by a technician and/or mechanic)
Mathematics (Includes accounting, statistics, dimensional theory, quantum physics, etc.)
Medical and Science (Surgery, pathology, medicine, cybernetics installation)
Physical (acrobatics, running, etc.)
Rogue (Pick-pocketing, pick locks, slight of hand, "streetwise," seduction)
Starship Operations (Astrometrics, stellar cartography, navigation, helm, etc.)
Survival and Military (Finding water, land navigation, shelter construction, hunting, signaling, camouflage)
Technology Operation (Computers and networking, nodal system)
Vehicles: (Mecha, tanks, cars, trucks, hovercraft. [Power Armor goes under Fighting and Physical])

I couldn't see it anywhere, and the character I am creating at the moment (someone for the acadamy plot that may be finaly running!) I would like to give him that ability.

Currently it looks like it would fall under Communications, but perhaps it would be better under 'Arts and Vocations'?

Actually, I'm not certain this is the right forum, it is quite possible it should be in the setting forum instead.

I'd say definitely art and vocation. Entertainment seems to be more focused on physical activities for the given examples while art and vocation mentions paining and the like.

Humanities: if your char is good at writing political essays, social commentary, philosophical musings, speeches, formal treaties, etc.
(ex: Thomas Jefferson, Colin Powell)

Entertainment: if your char is good at writing novels or other writing that would sell well.
(ex: Anne Rice, Stephen King)

Arts and Vocations: if your char is good at writing, but his work is less popular but has a more timeless quality, and would start selling well some decades after he's dead. :p
(ex: Leo Tolstoy, James Joyce)

The examples are a bit extreme, but those are the people that your char would aspire to, had he known them. There are analogous people in the Star Army universe to aspire to, of course.

I would assume storytelling is more to do with oratory and actually telling the story to an audience than the actual writing of the tale. I could imagine that sort of skill in the hands of bards and the people of a traditional mouth-to-mouth eductation system.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back