• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Why do created Nekos need to take Basic Training?

mizunoyoroko

Inactive Member
I remember reading somewhere (and I will look it up once I get off work) that Nekos created for use in the YSE are born knowing everything they need to know to do their job. In the military this would include just about everything listed under Basic Training so why do Nekos need to spend a year in basic training.

Which brings me to my next question, why does Basic take an entire year? Even in modern militaries Basic training takes on average 2 months, and it's the generally accepted fact that Nekovalkyrja and even Yamataians are better than normal humans by a large degree (especially Nekos). If the YSE form of Basic takes a year, how on earth is it beneficial in any way to be able to mass produce its soldiers if it needs a full year to even prepare them for combat?

Real life basic is 2-3 months.

The reason it is longer in Yamatai is that it seems to be A-School and Basic wrapped up into one. That is, most soldiers in Yamatai have a lot of technical knowledge they also have to learn, given the generalization of most soldiers in the fleet today.

The reason they need a long basic is because, although they have it wired into their heads at birth, they still need a hands-on familiarization course. Think of it like the difference between book knowledge and experiance. You can know all the facts, statistics and procedures, but unless you have a chance to try it out there's a good shot you're going to screw it up when it comes down to a pinch.

Or, at least that is my interpretation.

I imagine the basics are also on rotation, which means that there are always Valkyrja being pumped out, at almost the same rate that they would be dropped out of the vats. Also I expect that, in emergencies, the basic training could be skipped entirely (due to the initial uploaded information). However, that only means they would have to receive hands-on information in the fleet.

In actual roleplay (when i GM'ed Fort Ready) the course was six weeks long, and they started at one week intervals to each other. Most of the people IN training were either Yamataians, or Nekos whom (as Yoro said) didn't score as well in their initial testing.

Even then though, created nekos already know the stuff (as you've said it's a difference between theory and fact) so that would cut the training time significantly (since they don't need to learn the theory). So do Yamataians and Civilian Nekos need to be in for more than a year then?

Maybe it is a 'Refresher' course, or to better hone the already known skills. Or to further them by more training depending on the individual's specific talents. Personally, when I wrote up my first YSE character, I just rolled with it.

It doesn't really affect me tbh. It just seems kinda silly to say "Nekos are born knowing everything about their future job that they need to know" then saying "Everyone (created nekos included) must spend 1 year in basic training to learn it all first." It's like taking a PhD student and saying that he can't do work in his field until he goes to highschool again.

Just because you're born with a library of instructional manuals in your head doesn't mean you're going to be a great soldier. I think the training time allows nekos to develop their personalities and practice their skills and build memories.

One year may be a little long. Maybe we should go with 3 months?

Could use the time frame from EF-1

But then would we need two sets of time frames? One for production Nekos and one for born nekos and Yamataians?

Or could we say that since Valkyrja and Yamataians have digital-brains, they download the training and both take 4 months to integrate that ?

But then what about a Nepleslian who wants to join the SAoY?

Sorry to complicate the issue.

Yeah, in theory Yamataians and Nekos should take the same amount of time. I'm not sure Nepleslians would need a longer program, though.

I mean, there's only so much training they can get...a lot of their skill will come from experience with their destination unit.

Since the training isn't RPed out anyway and new players often show up with no knowledge of the training, it would make better OOC sense to keep the IC training fairly brief and pass it off as sort of an "on the job training" policy.

As far as I've learned, much of the studying we do, the degrees/diplomas we earn and such in life often end up not being of direct usefulness to jobs we take up - but they hold a decisional factor for employers merely because our studies show the degree of complexity of the tasks we can handle in a way. This is not universal, as many study programs now have pertinent practical knowledge, but the formation of a person does still illustrate the latter point I made.

Given that, humans start with a bit of an advantage over nekovalkyrja given their twenty-odd years of life experience, where they have earned maturity and developed resourcefulness few typical nekovalkyrja have at the start of their career.

Put a human through a similar intensive course (4 months; that 640 hours?) and the qualities I've pointed out before might be most of the time sufficient to have the said human manage decently well if he at all has a care for professionalism.

The way I see it, Nepleslians end up needing to do afterhour studying while the Yamataians go in a bar and get drunk when they go through the training program proper. Perhaps they lose a day off their weekend for more theory classes and exam to make sure that knowledge has been properly assimilated too.

3 months?

You'll have nothing but platoon after platoon of Sergeant Todd.
Cold faced permanently frightened permanently disciplined super-warriors who think everything in existence is out to get them without so much as a nick of personality.

Basic would basically be pre-school for the Neko, calibrating and training their reactions and teaching them utterly basic stuff.

If they have cold-buried genetic memory of other people's memories (lol replicants) if they knew, they'd learn to resent their creators and would feel they were "less" real than say a Nepleslian or Yamataian but they would also feel "more" real in the sense they're born for combat and they have a raison de'etre to cling to.

In this sense, you're looking at girls who begin cute and knowledgeless, who pick up information and then go through the trauma of war and are not expected to survive longer than ten to twelve years. Past the age of about 6, I expect they undergo additional schooling to refine any mental instabilities and set them up for a long-term existence of up to an additional 50 years, ironing out all those insecurities and worries.

Anything less than this would mean they were slaves to the cause, brainwashed and ultra-motivated like the warriors of Soviet Russia.

These are my thoughts.
No drama or insult intended: I'd love to debate these points if I am inherently "wrong".

But on those instabilities:
Roy Batty anyone?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back