• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Why is the SARP universe 2D?

Kai

Retired Staff
Honestly, why? it's space, why isn't our world 3D? I would imagine making the entire galaxy a 3d place to travel would add many levels of strategy as well as make it possible for more planets. The 2D map may be simple and all, but I think it might be beneficial for us to find something that can let us make a 3D map of our universe.

kai said:
Honestly, why? it's space, why isn't our world 3D? I would imagine making the entire galaxy a 3d place to travel would add many levels of strategy as well as make it possible for more planets. The 2D map may be simple and all, but I think it might be beneficial for us to find something that can let us make a 3D map of our universe.

The universe is 3D and there is nothing keeping you from roleplaying it as such.

Personally, I like to think of it in the way that Crest of the Stars and Star Control II depicts it: common 'hyperspace' technology sending ships on a flat, 2-dimensional plane of travel.

Of course, it's not really that... but it'd justify why our maps are drawn the way it is - in accordance to hyperspace coordinates rather than realspace ones.

It isn't 2D. The map is 2D because it's simpler that way, as previously mentioned.

It is vaguely impossible to make a 3D map and make it a ~map~ on a 2D, static image without inserting lots of contour-ish numbers and such, making it overly complex and hard to read.

See: Homeworld 2

Making the map 3D would require multiple perspectives of the map on at least 3 planes. It's possible, but a bit annoying and complicated. It's like Earth maps: not everything on the planet is on the same elevation, but they use topographic lines to get the point across. If you can come up with a good method to add height info to the map, it might be simple enough for everyone to use. Perhaps just labeling each system with their height on a vertical plane in comparison to the Yamatai system?

ex. Nepleslia is [+40] and Tami is [-13], meaning Nepleslia is 40 AU above Yamatai on a vertical axis, and Tami is 13 AU beneath Yamatai.

I'm not 100% sure how making things 3D will change things, but that's my suggestion if you want to make it user-friendly.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back