• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Wildlife on Yamatai?

Luca

The Ultimate Badass
🎖️ Game Master
My character is going to plan an on-foot journey through the countryside to Kyoto from the backwater where he lives which will take a day or two.

Any flora/fauna/hazards he should be aware of on the way there? More importantly, any other ways there other than hiking with camping gear there?

I think this requires the attention of Wes and some of the GMs.
I've figured out where Luca lives ICly, in Ralt. Cold, Rural, Small time.

I'd assume animals run wild around there.

Chris, it's PANTHEON. You've been here for awhile now; get it right.

Also you people cynically naysaying things about Yamatai, especially veteran members with history on this site, does not reflect well on us or the setting. Please refrain from commenting unless you have something constructive and intelligent to add.

Here is what I do know.

Cultures on Yamatai such as the elves and the trolls typically live on a more rugged level than the rest of the technologically advanced Yamatai and so might be exposed more than other 'more civilized' regions.

Instead of eliminating all insects, I think PANTHEON would go for a controlled natural selection role: most predatory insects would probably bite the dust while others would remain to continue living on either as a novelty or as food for animals. More population intensive regions would likely be much more screened.

As for animals, there is likely a predator/prey cycle going away from PANTHEON supported zones. Yamatai's gravity, distance to its sun, surface gravity and day cycle would support the same sort of lifeforms Earth likely would; except slightly hardier for the increased gravity and more active within its diurnal/nocturnal cycle due to Yamatai's rapid spin.

It's also very likely that large parts of the planet's animal population was touched by the plague and so that most of the surviving creatures were actually genetically engineered; either as copies of the former native creatures or as new lifeforms altogether.

Most of the colder climate regions would likely have been spared that, seeing cold tend to stop disease contagions rather effectively... so, areas like Ralt are likely one of the few havens where native lifeforms still reside (and PANTHEON functions very badly in areas with atmospheric disturbances like ones that get frequent snow).

Also, bear in mind that to this day, most of Yamatai's agriculture and animal raising is done in a very automated manner - most of the animal population on that world is probably very controlled cattle that would be bio-engineered for the best results.

Up north on Yamatai, the big predators consist of mountain lions and bears, primarily.

Lady Xerena said:
No bandits?

PANTHEON or no PANTHEON, the persistence of the criminal element should not be underestimated.
Apparently, there's minimal crime on Yamatai. I think the army and everyone appears to have clamped things down -quite- tightly.

I mean, the YSA (police) are very powerful, the Citizens are all extremely kind and nice most of the time... I can't see any balance in there...
The balance must happen.

Like you say, they're pretty nice most of the time... most of the time.

Perhaps most of the crime is non-violent (like smuggling or pickpocketing) though perhaps occasionally involving violence (like hunting out of season).

You can't catch most crimes you're not searching for, and you don't search for crimes you have absolutely no reason to suspect are happening.

Oh, and lastly, if you want to be able to claim Yamatai is crime-free, you'll have to legalize treason.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back