• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Wormhole Powered Stargates!

club24

Everything Is Magical
Hey all I'll keep it brief, asked a couple times in the server with only a couple people seeing (damn timezones).

But with the teleporter pad ame did recently it got me thinking about the wormhole drive GH has had since around 2018 or 19 which was originally inspired by the Poku having something similar.

I'd like for GH to be working on a "stargate" kind of transport ststem utilising their research and current wormhole knowledge and tech to have point to point style system with a single planet that would likely only be suitable for small ground vehicles at most.

I think those who have seen me around for ages know I don't care about trying to have the biggest high powered stuff and currently i dont plan on this being a tech they sell more of a narritive piece to expand on over time given its very weird science.

I'm looking for peoples thoughts on how to help it fit in besides just me saying "they invented it" creative wording for how they figured out how to harness similar faults on a planet or something, and making sure im not about to commit a cardinal sin against another faction.

So there has been a long history on SARP of wormholes and similar FTL methods. I recently introduced the InfinityGate network and Ame has introduced her pad. But there have been the leylines, NovaCorp and the Zvonock gates. There are probably more that I'm forgetting. You don't have to have Yamatai level tech to make them. This is a general article on the tech: Wormholes on Star Army Space Roleplay

Ill have to read that on lunch, i haven't looked into wormholes in sarp since i made this yonks ago and back then i believe they were very niche, good to know!

Could be interesting to have the prototype have a slight issue with correctly placing the destination, leading to a Lost in Space scenario where you have to keep jumping randomly through the galaxy/sector etc. :p

Goold?

9TOQC3d.jpeg

As has been said, wormholes are permitted as a type of Star Army FTL. They actually feature big time in the Wes-directed Third Mishhu War. The one snag you might find is the misnamed Hill Sphere ruling that says FTL methods cannot be used within a certain distance from a system's star. But there's no harm in submitting your idea and seeing what your reviewer has to say in the approval thread.

Could be interesting to have the prototype have a slight issue with correctly placing the destination, leading to a Lost in Space scenario where you have to keep jumping randomly through the galaxy/sector etc. :p
Actually the space version that already exists it gh catalogue is based on finding weakpoints... so it could definitely happen if you skip the maths or damage the spires

Goold?

9TOQC3d.jpeg

As has been said, wormholes are permitted as a type of Star Army FTL. They actually feature big time in the Wes-directed Third Mishhu War. The one snag you might find is the misnamed Hill Sphere ruling that says FTL methods cannot be used within a certain distance from a system's star. But there's no harm in submitting your idea and seeing what your reviewer has to say in the approval thread.
That rings a bell and i believe my falcon drive includes something about too close to planets or stars as well but haven't checked as im at work, its part of why i want to keep this as a point to point within a single planet and small since that way it doesn't come off as a bypass of such rulings, ill admit down the line id like to continually work on this stuff as GH realistically would do IC, and maybe one day do some funky prototype personal grade but thats speculation for now.

Appreciate the input

Teleporter PTSD intensifies
If it’s instantaneous travel and facilitates interstellar travel a charge up time would be a beautiful thing to see. 🥺
It’s to preserve the spirit in which the speed standards were written and approved.

Wait a second I just thought of something. Wormholes also only form outside of a Hill Sphere don’t they? And suppose one had a critical failure, could it lose control of the wormhole SUCKING THE PLANET THROUGH AND DROPPING IT OUT AT THE DESTINATION CAUSING TWO APOCALYPTIC EVENTS AND COSTING BILLIONS OF PEOPLE’S LIVES!?¡¿…

Meh, should be safe enough. 🫠

When you put it that way it makes we want to write that as part of a somehow redacted history of a prototype, 2 barren uninhabitable planets were used as testing and somehow got smashed together would make a great set piece lol

But with the current response im happy enough to start working on this page now as you all have more or less expressed that you don’t outright think its impossible or shouldn’t happen and i appreciate the feedback

Prepare for funky writing and australian spelling!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back