• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Wow!

Doctor Thaddeus Hemlock

Inactive Member
So I am a long time RPer (like... 16 years?) and a HUGE scifi fan.
While everything looks awesome here, I gotta say- this site hands down has the best design I've ever seen. It looks like everything was made custom! WOW. That's totally insane!
Looking forward to getting involved!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

So I have been reading the wiki. Is there a good place to get an overview of the site's history? I am reading as much as I can but I'd love a "synopsis" page or something.

Also, I was thinking about making a kinda "JAG" or some kind of military investigator. If that's not really possible within one of the major factions- I might go unaligned as a PI but it sounds like that is probably not going to be great for my first character.

The Timeline has pretty much all of our recorded history in it, with the major wars and stuff listed on the main page, and the meat is basically starting in YE 25 and onwards. I know it still needs some work. But the neat thing about the history is almost everything in the YE 25 to present years has been actually roleplayed on this site. There is an investigator (MP) character occupation in Yamatai, although the challenging part would be finding people for him to arrest, etc, especially since a lot of plot ships are small ones full of mainly other people's characters.

Would it be smarter to go independent? Or would that give me no plot at all? Would one of the other factions be a better fit? I want to go Yamatai but I also want to make sure I have the best fit possible.

There are independent plots, too, like the Black Vipers, The Fringe, and The Wayward. It's also possible to do your own thing and make your own RP threads, although you should gather some players to RP with you in the OOC and Planning forum first by doing an interest check. It might help to join someone else's thread to get a feel of the setting before you start on your own, too.

Hello and welcome! Lets be good friends, if you require any help don't hesitate to contact me on here as Semjax, or on the IRC Chat under Kia, Semjax, Sorin, or KiaNyah!

You can be an MP. I'm just saying it might be challenging to find ways for him to do his job in the RP if you do, so you'll want to be prepared with a plan of some sort.

Hmmm... Ok. As I'm new here, I am not sure what sort of plan I could do?
Like is the default assumption that new players just play some kinda generic soldier or something?

Players can pick nearly any occupation for the service they're joining. I'm concerned that, due to a lack of criminals and crime in most of the Star Army of Yamatai plots that are running, that an MP might not have a lot to do and will probably end up doing infantry work (fighting the enemy) more than policing. I'm just being honest with you here so you don't go in expecting something unrealistic. I don't want to end up with you being bored. So when I say 'have a plan' what I mean is we should know he's going somewhere where there's things for someone of his job to do.

Note that I speak for Yamatai. In Nepleslia, there might be a better chance as there's more drunk marines getting into fistfights, their cities are filled with crime, and they might be fighting rebels and terrorists like who need to be arrested. Also any plot dealing with space pirates might be ideal for an MP to work in.

As a backup plan, is there another occupation that catches your interest?

Oh.. ok :-(
I mean I guess I'd have to look through the other occupations to see if there was one that was worth doing.

Edit: I dunno. I might do a big bruiser of from Nepleslian Marine.

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm still kinda new to the site as well. I have RPd off and on for many years, but never in a forum setting. I would love to see your character become created and develop through this particular setting!

Btw I am still dwelling on this character. I really wanted to fit in with the main group... I dunno.
Well, it's also possible to make your own group if you don't think you'd fit in Bounty Hunters. All you need is a juicy plot concept to capture folks' interest.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back