• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Yamatai Flag Update

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
I've been trying to come up with a new version of the YSE flag that's more in line with the principles of flag design. Here's Yamatai's current flag, for reference:

yse_flag.png

Here's the issues with the current flag:
  1. Having text on it is not ideal
  2. The flower is too detailed and uses too many colors.
  3. The red text doesn't have very good contrast with the background.
  4. The flower and the background don't have great contrast with each other.
In response, I've started toying around with possible candidates for a replacement. Here's some I came up with so far:

new yamatai flag concept.png

new yamatai flag concept 2.png

new yamatai flag concept 3.png

new yamatai flag concept 4.png

The above designs use a text-free flag with the simple Japanese bellflower design used on the Star Army of Yamatai officer cap, which is the symbol of Yamatai. They have bright, contrasting colors, too.

I'm looking for your opinions of which ones you like and why, and also if you want to suggest your own, feel free. Here's a flag maker tool that you can use (and if you have a faction, it may come in handy).

Don't like 1 & 2 there is too much blue, green and white which is the Nepleslian flag.
3 at looks like a follow on to the current flag. Although some bling i think is warranted. Perhaps some sort of gold wreath bordering the white field

Not keen on # 4.

I like #3, but I think it needs at least a little bit of red on it in some form, to tie it in with the old one, make it seem like a more natural evolution as opposed to a radical departure from the old.

fetch.php

Something like this Kai

The reason the first two have blue, white, and green, is those are the colors of Uesureyan Star Empire, which is Yamatai and Nepleslia's "parent" nation they emerged from. So it was an homage to pre-SARP history.

One of the objectives was to eliminate text on the flag. After feedback, I'm really leaning towards #3 also. It's close to the existing flag and meets the requirements of my OP post and the principals of flag design. For symbolism, the blue represents the vast endless ocean of stars around Yamatai, and the white represents Yamatai's sphere of influence, a region of peace and tranquility. The bellflower represents life, and the Empress of Yamatai.

I think we can live without the red, but if we had to, a red teardrop might work.
  • Ketsu = blood
  • rui = tear(drop)s
However I don't see a good place to put it.

Keep the current flag, but make the flower flat. Red has been a common theme in Asian flags for many years, and would continue to serve well in the context of Yamatai's flag. Plus, text on flags is not unheard of, and would do well to encourage Yamataian school children to practice calligraphy for the sake of reproducing the flag. It would encourage literacy in an IC context.

However, I do like flag #4 as a basis for a fighter craft roundel.

I agree with doc, just edit the current one a bit. I mean you can just look at the Saudi's flag if you want a RL example of a flag with text.

aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_thumb_0_0d_Flag_of_Sau1b78f8629ac288d4dd93ad5224e5ca14.png

Here's some additional variants I made based on feedback:

5. Adding some red
new yamatai flag concept 5.png

3A. with "Hisshou" in brighter red, vertical in the "honor position."
new yamatai flag concept 3a.png

3B. with red border
new yamatai flag concept 3b.png

Nashoba's suggestion (I still would prefer to avoid text):
new yamatai flag concept nashoba.png

Current flag but with new flower (kind of crowded looking)
new yamatai flag concept remake of current flag.png

It looks like 3B is a possible winner, then. I like it too.

stararmy__79980.jpg

How's this sound?

The flag of Yamatai is a white circle, bordered in red and containing a Platycodon grandiflorus, set againt a blue background. The blue background symbolizes the vast sea of stars surrounding Yamatai, while the white circle symbolizes Yamatai's peaceful and prosperous sphere of influence, with the red border symbolizing the sacrifice of Yamatai's soldiers who fight for the Empire. The bellflower is the symbol of the Empress, and represents life and culture.

Although should n't it be containing a Yamataian bellflower since Japan doesn't exist in the SARP.

Fixed. I just used the scientific name.

My only feeling about the flag is that the flower should be symmetrical. The flower right now feels a little too organic/traced.

My only feeling about the flag is that the flower should be symmetrical. The flower right now feels a little too organic/traced.
One reason is I didn't want it to get mistaken for a star.

I also thought about using a more stylized one like the one in this town flag of Tajimi (Gifu):
kanji_flag_38.jpg

Or maybe one of these type of mon (family emblems):

sakura100.jpg KamonKikyoW.jpg
66156754_1288855440_25_kikyomon.jpg

On the last image, the third one looks close to our flag.

Wikipedia has an open-source SVG of this we could use.

However, we've already made all the graphics, had a public discussion, and made a decision so I don't want to go back into the design process after all that. Maybe the flag can evolve again later, but for now I plan to stick with the new one we just approved.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back