• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[Yamatai] On'nin Ikemen - 隠人イケ面

Re: [Yamatai] On'nin Ikemen

I came back just to see this article come about. It is beautfiul.

The article links to the problems Star Army soldiers might have with gum and eating in public while walking, but that's only while in uniform — pretty easy for them to leave uniform when they leave Kyoto Base and do whatever they want. And without soldiers, there's only the smoking, which could work, I suppose. Big smokehouses and such that scrub the air before it leaves the building.

I think they need to be harder criminals if they're going to exist. Criminals that kill, that fight in turf wars, that inhabit cities. Maybe cities that don't get a lot of love, such as Jskita and Ternifac. Obviously they should be in Kyoto too.

It's not about about being hardened criminals, it's about community leading and interacting with the common man.

Doshii Jun said:
I think they need to be harder criminals if they're going to exist. Criminals that kill, that fight in turf wars, that inhabit cities. Maybe cities that don't get a lot of love, such as Jskita and Ternifac. Obviously they should be in Kyoto too.

I think their actual violent activities have been glossed over (at least in my contributions to the articles), because those parts are hugely boring to write about. Every crime syndicate kills people.

But how many of them drive space trucks and chew gum?

Yeah, but having that in there shows they're an actual crime syndicate. They kill, sling drugs, prostitutes, that kinda stuff. It's only boring if it's written that way, but it still has to be in there, or else they ONLY are guys that sling gum and drive space trucks, which explains why they're left alone.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It's like a bunch of lower class people trying to act high-class. They tool around like they own the place and do petty criminal stuff-- but they also are heavily involved in the community. They strut around in garish clothes and rides, but that's just them posturing. They're still just hard working lower class dudes.

If that's the case, that's OK. I just want it to be clear one way or another — do they kill people, or just get in fights at bars sometimes? Are they Yakuza or much less?

It can be expected that some of them rough people up pretty badly or even kill them, but they'd probably let Yamataian nationals off with just a beating. Foreigners trying to take over the underworld might get it a bit rougher.

These are violent nationalists who just disagree with certain laws currently in place and feel marginalized to a degree.

And if there are contradictions between what different people are saying about the Ikemen, it's intentional. We're intending to write up different families to represent differing vision on them.

Doshii Jun said:
do they kill people, or just get in fights at bars sometimes? Are they Yakuza or much less?

I feel they're about as bad as Yakuza would ever be allowed in Yamatai. So they do the latter.

Exhack said:
And if there are contradictions between what different people are saying about the Ikemen, it's intentional. We're intending to write up different families to represent differing vision on them.
Maybe we ought to wait to approve them, then, until the families are ready? I mean, get a rough approval of the concept, so work isn't wasted, but final approval when the families are ready.

Raz: You're awesome in general.

They're basically football hooligans in suits and pompadours, without football, and with some borrowed hypertech and low-level smuggling.

Yamatai has unilaterally declared war on any organization that has done more, so this is about the limit.

The article has a number of factual inaccuracies:

• The nodal system is no longer present in the air of Yamatai (it was removed for health reasons in YE 28).
  • Cigarettes are not snuffed out by the nodal system.
  • It is not illegal to eat in public.
  • I can't find a reference to chewing gum being illegal (but it's culturally taboo--Yamataians think it makes you look disgusting/retarded and sound obnoxious).

Thought Ex was doing that. Updated to remove references to illegal chewing gum (though they still sell chewing gum and provide places for people to hang out). Added references to mindware piracy as Wes suggested, as well as Neko body piracy. Fat Yamataian nerds everywhere can rejoice. Now they can become a Neko and pay off their debt with their new bodies!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back