• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

YE 45 Planning Thread

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
I want to get your feedback before I set the calendar up for next year. Let's do some brainstorming.

History

As you know and voted on, we decided to back from the experimental slower-paced (2:1 Monthly IC-OOC) calendar to the traditional (1:1 Yearly IC-OOC) calendar. In order to align the months, we did this at a point that allowed us to have a faster-paced (1:1 Monthly IC-OOC) Calendar for YE 44.

New Opportunities

Next year will be YE 45 in the RP, and the question is how do we want to allocate our 9 months of IC time into 12 months of IRL time. There's a couple of different ways and options we could do this:
  • Just divide it evenly using a spreadsheet like we used to (I always found this a little awkward)
  • Give some IC months extended or double time, for example if we know there will be a lot happening in them such as major IC events or holidays
  • Give each month 1 month OOC, and then use the remaining 3 for some other purpose
    • non-contiguous calendar months, maybe 'flashbacks' from earlier years or something
    • wildcard months where you just write whatever you need to catch up on
What Do We Want?

The biggest reason we went back to the 1:1 Year calendar was to line up holidays so we want to make sure that IC and OOC holidays will more or less match, and we want to include events for all IC holidays in our plans/YE 45 Calendar.

What are your ideas or thoughts on these ideas?

I propose we make months 2, 4, and 8 double-long.

Gregorian MonthYamataian MonthReason
22Love day / Valentine's
32(love day threads often go long)
75Kikyō no Sekku / Independence
108Candy Festival / Halloween
129Year end

This lines up Love Day and Valentine's Day, Kikyō no Sekku and Independence Day, Candy Festival and Halloween, and Year End with the end of the year.

Last edited:
I was more or less going to suggest what Hyralt said, but I also think that having a month that is 'historical' would be fun. June is probably a good month for it.

I thought there would be more feedback to this but everyone's had a reasonable time to reply and it looks like the consensus is to use Hyralt's plan. So that is what we'll use!

I think we should try Hyralt's plan, but I had an idea for a future year. October, November, and December could be months used for flashbacks or catching up since people's IRL get busy those months anyway.

I propose we make months 2, 4, and 8 double-long.

Gregorian MonthYamataian MonthReason
22Love day / Valentine's
32(love day threads often go long)
75Kikyō no Sekku / Independence
108Candy Festival / Halloween
129Year end

This lines up Love Day and Valentine's Day, Kikyō no Sekku and Independence Day, Candy Festival and Halloween, and Year End with the end of the year.
I like this plan a lot, I was going to suggest shifting one of the double lengths from month 4 to month 8 but then I realized it would throw everything else out of alignment. Great work on this!

I'm not 100% on what the diffrences are. Star Army has had a lot of variability in how fast time goes in it's history. YE 45 is going to be 1 IRL year to 1 YE year.

hi hi

So, I made myself a little date converter to help ballpark backstory times and dates, and maybe in the future help convert forum post dates into IC dates. (At least going by thread start date.)

Should I continue to use the old conversion rate, or apply the new variable rate conversion retroactively?
It's going to be complicated to automatically convert because next year some IC months are one OOC month and some months are two OOC months.

hi hi

It's going to be complicated to automatically convert because next year some IC months are one OOC month and some months are two OOC months.
I was able to do it using a vlookup, and checking the ratio of Earth days to Yamatai days each month. (Varies between ~1.16 and ~0.57 depending on the month.)

I was just thinking about putting some less vague dates into my character wiki page, but all I have to go by are forum posts in Earth time, and was wondering if I should use the new method on old posts or stick with the old one.

Your converter is so helpful!! I still use dates, they feel very comfortable and add extra detail that I thrive with. I'd like to keep using it!

Before I got to your last post I was about to suggest the same method (just without excel verbiage) for conversion of specific month's day ratios, but you're on it.

You know too much for me to feel comfortable giving you my answer that the new method would only take effect in YE 45. But that's what I think you mean.

hi hi

You know too much for me to feel comfortable giving you my answer that the new method would only take effect in YE 45. But that's what I think you mean.
Thanks! I suppose if the schedule for each past year is in the wiki, I could make a table for each and check which one to use. I'll have to look into it more, but I'm glad to know it's useful. :)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back