• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Character Yosef Elowhim

Doshii Jun

Perpetual player
Retired Staff
Edited: Changed "memory crystal" in spectacles to memory module using custom organics. Mother is now a crystal embedded into a wristband.

Name: Yosef Elowhim ("Specs").

General Information
Species: Nepleslian.

Family/Creators:
Mother, Adeena Elowhim (deceased).
Father, Yaakob Elowhim (missing).

Faction: Star Army of Yamatai
Current Assignment: YSS Sakura NG-X1-360.

Physical Characteristics
Height: 1.7 meters (5 feet 7 inches).
Weight: 63.5 kilos (~140 pounds).

Build and Skin Color: Average, dark tan.
Face and Eye Color: Sharply defined cheek bones. One dark brown eye (right), one grey eye (left).
Hair color and Style: Black, cut short to his head. Has been known to wear a common skullcap in his quarters.

Distinguishing Features:
His eyes, obviously, are two different colors. He normally hides these behind his "external augment," his spectacles. They have two rectangular "lenses," a black matte steel frame, and three-centimeter tall "wings" that rise slightly angled back over his ears. They also have small "plugs" for his ears; these are actually a collection of microphones, speakers and nanomotors powering equally sized fans.

Psychological Characteristics

Personality: Not exactly healthy. While not sexist, he doesn't have a lot of friendliness to spare for females, including Geshrin and Nekovalkyrija. The military suits him this way -- he doesn't have to be bosom buddies with anyone, and his occupation doesn't lend itself to deep bonds. He has been known to freeze before a larger (even weaker) opponent. Unlike trained Nepleslians, he has no distinct fixation or ability with machinery. He does, however, have a deep respect for storytellers, as he remembers listening to them on Nepleslia. He has a strong, irrational hatred of those who augment themselves.

Likes: Archaic weapons, cooking (mostly for himself, and mostly traditional meals), reading, cleanliness, his glasses and the smell of fine polish oil.
Dislikes: Flirty women, conflict, bad cooking, beer, augments.
Goals: To not incur any more debt, eliminate ties with the criminal organization he literally belongs to, and serve without getting killed. Maybe open his own business someday (not on Nepleslia).

History

On a world ruled by capitalism, Yosef Elowhim and his mother Adeena were part of a lower-class immigrant population forced to live within the dense urban chaos on Nepleslia. Jobs were scarce for those witnhout specialized skills, which came from the schools. Yosef was too busy helping his mother pay the rent to bother much with school. His mother worked as a maid for a wealthy family on the outskirts of "the metro," garnering enough for rent and some meager savings. They couldn't afford implants.

Adeena was killed in YE 18 during a misunderstanding between her employer (read: master and owner) when he accused then-13-year-old Yosef, also working for him at the time, of forcing his 14-year-old daughter down and kissing her. He mashed up Yosef's face with his orgainic arm. In an attempt to stop the fight, Adeena rushed to her son's side. The master used his cybernetic forearm to bat her away and accidentally caved in Adeena's left temple. Yosef was paid a small settlement, which he used to turn his mother's remains into a small, smoke-colored crystal embedded on a custom wristband he doesn't take off. He then took out a loan from a local criminal organization to have special surgery on his left eye, replacing it with one of his mother's "so I'd always have her perspective on things."

The criminal organization, small by Nepleslian standards, had no good use for a boy of nearly 14 without any skills save yard and house work. So they made him the "maid" of their club and paid him little for the task. When the organization was bloodily swallowed up a few years later, Yosef's debt was passed on. He was installed as the maid of a local gunshop owner who partook of the wheat and barley diet too often to keep his business clean. The gunshop owner didn't quite befriend Yosef, who wasn't the warmest 17-year-old he'd ever met, but he taught the boy a few things and introduced him to some regular customers in the business, who in turn helped Yosef in exchange for labor.

Six years pass (late YE 27). His debt nearly paid, Yosef was considering opening his own business. The gunshop owner, who was in poor health in the first place from dieting, succombed to his liver problems. With 1,500 KS still owed and as the only person available to pay the gunshop owner's debts (about 800 KS), Yosef took what he knew and enlisted in the Star Army as an armorer. He signed on, of course, for the enlistment bonus. After he signed the papers, the criminal organization told him he owed about 3,354 KS in unpaid interest.

Skills

Communication: Yosef is familiar with basic radio operation and procedures and can make transmissions to and receive transmissions from other characters through headsets, starships, power armor, and shuttles in both combat and non-combat conditions. Yosef is fluent in English and Hebrew. He can speak and write both correctly and efficiently, and can write reports, fill forms, issue orders under fire and so on.
Fighting and Physical: Yosef received hand-to-hand combat training by way of loading all the necessary related knowledge into his spectacles' memory and then following up with a rigorous training program. He is relatively skilled in combat both in Yamatai-like conditions and in zero-gravity, with and without weapons. Weapons he is trained in include energy pistols, knives, and power armor. Because he is an enlisted soldier (despite his occupation), he also can operate energy rifles and grenades. Unofficial training includes chemically propelled firearms, handheld mass drivers and basic throwing weapons.
Information Technology: Yosef is capable of operating any computer system that uses the Kessaku OS, which is found on all Star Army starships. He is proficient in data entry and retrieval. He also knows a few things about older Nepleslian systems.
Mathematics: Yosef received basic mathematics training, including algebra and trigonometry. This does not, however, mean he is particularly good in either subject. However, he excels when it comes to finance -- mostly because he was forced to complete several loan applications and financial statements when the "banks" came knocking, as the gunshop owner was usually dieting.
Domestic chores: Yosef acted as the "maid" of the gunshop and the owner's home (albeit with complaints) to pay off the debts he owed for his surgery and his mother's burial. He learned to be a decent cook as well, since the owner's choice for breakfast and dinner was usually limited.
Basic firearms construction (form of masonry): In addition to being the "maid," Yosef also worked as a journeyman gunsmith. Though he saw weapons of all types during his six years there, chemically propelled firearms were his speciality, with mass drivers as a distant second. He has a distaste for energy weapons.
External augmentation (maintenance and repair): Instead of working with standard Nepelisian cybernetic implants and augments, Yosef worked with some of the regular customers at the gunshop to learn about "external augmentation" -- devices that act like cybernetic enhancements without sacrificing the original organic parts. This was a way for him to obtain a speciality few customers desired, but paid a hefty sum for. Yosef's spectacles are an example of such enhancements. He cannot actually build such devices without a prefabricated kit, but he is familiar enough to maintain their use and engage in some repairs. This does not necessarily help him with other techs.

It seems more likely he'd be in the Star Army of Nepleslia, but that's not a problem if you want him to be in the Star Army of Yamatai.

Character approved (mostly). Interesting history (the eye part is sad :( ).

What's a "memory crystal?" That one little part may have to go.

Bit of an explanation . . .

I went for Yamatai only because the timing seemed to point to it. The history said Nepleslia didn't split until YE 28, so I figured the Star Army of Yamatai would have recruiting posts on the planet's surface near the poorer neighborhoods (large army looking for talented engineers, maybe?), while Nepleslia was trying to recruit harder from its own ranks (the educated ones, that is). Perhaps this is stretching it.

As for the "memory crystal" -- I tried (not very hard, admittedly) hunting down the way computers store memory in this universe, but I didn't find anything. That's why I was hoping for some feedback from the technical folk around here. I figure if that doesn't work, the mom will be a piece of jewelry instead (her name is a misspelling of the Hebrew "Adina," which means decoration, or so my limited research tells me).

Don't doubble post.

Odds are you have a memory stick or data pad to store data in the form of custom arranged molicules and the like.

Sorry 'bout the double post . . . a little eager here (and unemployed). It wasn't my intention.

I can see we think alike, at least in this situation. My worry was a memory stick using custom molecules/nanomachines wouldn't be able to store all the data he uses. Basically, his glasses also act as a recording device; anything that enters his ears is recorded. I thought the crystalline method of storage would work best, as you could have a huge amount of memory without the possibility of the nanomachines breaking down or the molecules malforming. I'll admit I don't know much about the science in this case . . .

If you want, I can continue this in the science and tech board. Thanks again for the approval.

Unless your trying to store something like a paradox loop then you really shouldn't ever run into limitations on memory storage on current devices.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back