• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[YSS Eucharis] Crashing in Cabin 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightender

Inactive Member
YSS Eucharis

Dropping into action as soon as she reported for duty left Miyako Akane little time to settle into her cabin on the YSS Eucharis. With her first duties behind her, the time had come for her to find her bunk.

The first thought Akane had when she got to her quarters was that she needed to find a place to put her easel and paints. She wondered if Deziarra was expecting her to bring in extra guns and weapons.

Akane had those. They were safely stored with her armor, and she had a few for her foot locker as well.

For the moment, she sat down her things and looked around. The urge to paint was growing, though she didn't know what image she wanted to put on a canvas.

Deziarra planned to quickly get some things from her cabin for the mission and then leave. However, when she got there, she noticed Akane staring at a blank canvas. She figured the newest arrival had an interest in painting.

Although both of them needed to return for the mission, it was not a military emergency. Talking to other members of the crew, both old and new, was certainly an important part of her duty. After all, they were going to be working together. She just needed to make sure she kept track of the time.

"I am Deziarra Lansky," she said extending her hand in friendship. "Glad to meet you. There is still some confusion about who is in which cabin, but we'll have time to sort that out later. Talk to Kale about it, when you get a chance."

"I just try to go where I'm told," Akane said with a smile. She took Deziarra's hand and shook it. "Miyako Akane. It's great to meet you."

Setting her bags aside, Akane said, "I'm sure the room assignments will get sorted out soon enough. I don't think the Shosho is going to want us sleeping at our duty stations."

Deziarra made a few entries on the computer.

"Yeah," Deziarra nodded with sympathy. "I just feel sorry for Kale. I already had this cabin, but I did not know how to list it on the computer until just now. Not a good was to start if you're a technician."

She gathered together the items she would need for the mission.

"Kale requested this cabin after I already spent a night here, and now I've invited you here," she explained blushing with mild embarrassment.

"You could always blame your rank, as long as you're talking about unofficial stuff." That seemed like a bad idea, but Akane had already said it. The words were in the air, unable to float back.

"So, Kale. Do you know each other well?" Akane shrugged and added, "I just wonder if it's you that he's after and not the room."

For the first time ever, Akane felt like she was snooping and she knew she didn't need to act that way.

She pulled out one of her brushes and started to spin it between her fingers. "Sorry if I seem nosy. I'm just curious."

Kale was in the lounge drinking his morning coffee when a notification came through on his datapad.

'Ah the new crew billets.'

He scrolled down the listings until he reached Cabin 5.

"Well this is awkward." he said looking at the three names listed there."

He stood. 'Better to sort this out in person'. he thought as he began to wander towards the cabins.

Deziarra took Akane's comment about blaming it on rank for what it was, an intended humorous comment that was perhaps inappropriate for the situation. She let out a slightly supressed giggle when Akane suggested Kale was interested in her and not the room. They were both technicians and had both arrived at roughly the same time. Like most young Nekovalkyrja, she was curious about the bonding between two people, quite common throughout the known universe. However, she did not have any practical experience with such things.

"No, he did not even know I was already here," said Deziarra. "I hope they can find a place for him one way or the other."

With all necessary items gathered together, she checked the computer for messages. That was when she heard Kale approaching.

Kale traipsed his way along the cabin corridor. He internally shrugged it really didn't matter to him who got the room but apparently the crew had even newer members then him now. He would just go and tell them not to worry about it. Still though the new crew member was female...

Kale cut that line of thought off immediately. In the past his attempts at romance had somewhat backfired. Mostly due to his sister who liked to play 'matchmaker'. Invariably this had lent itself to short term an unfulfilling relationships. He was a little wary of attempting to revive that side of his life.

With that Kale realized he'd overshot his target and backtracked to cabin 5. He knocked on the door.

Understanding that Deziarra wasn't interesting in Kale, Akane nodded. She didn't want to push to topic any further, especially since her guess had been so wrong.

Then she heard a knock on the door. "I'll get it," Akane said. She stepped over and opened the door. "Hello?"

Deziarra was slightly disappointed that she had not received any messages from anyone. On the bright side, that probably meant Kale had no problems with Akane and herself being in Cabin 5. They just needed to find a cabin for Kale.

When she was Kale was at the door, she immediately went over to talk to him.

"Sorry about what happened with the room," she blurted out rapidly. "At least I figured out the problem. I simply forgot to log in. That was why I didn't have access to the computer and couldn't let anyone know I was here. Sometimes solutions to complex problem won't work because of simple errors like - Whoa!

About halfway to the door, she tripped and went crashing to the ground.

The door opened to quite an unusual scene. A woman wih long red hair on he ground whom he assumed was Dezierra due to her red uniform. The other seemed more the other woman at the door, who oddly enough also had crimson hair seemed as surprised as he was.

Since Akane seemed frozen in shock for a moment. He went over to help the fallen girl up.

"Are you alright?" he asked extending a hand.

Between the sudden arrival and Deziarra suddenly falling to the floor, Akane was lost to what she needed to do. For a moment, she froze, long enough for the young man at the door to step inside.

He quickly approached Deziarra and extended a hand. Whoever this guy was, he clearly had good intentions.

Akane shut the door and moved to help as well. Turning toward the new arrival, she said, "Welcome."

"Yes, I'm fine," Deziarra replied accepting Kale's help.

As she got to her feet, she double checked her equipment to make sure she had everything she needed for the mission. Once she did that, she reminded herself that anything she wanted to say had to be said quickly. Quality over quantity a technician like herself might say.

"I suppose we have time to talk," she said checking the time. "However, we need to make it fast. If we take more than five minutes, they will come looking for us and they will not be good for any of us."

After helping Dezierra off the floor he realised he had entered uninvited his face reddened slightly.

"Oh sorry I didn't introduce myself. Im Kale, nice to meet you."He said somewhat awkwardly. Trying to keep himself from blushing his eyes darted around the room. The place was nicely decorated with paintings even so his eyes kept being drawn to the duos crimson hair.

'Why do I end up in these situations?' he thought. Though this time at least it wasn't one of his sisters failed matchmaking attempts.

Akane decided this must have been the same Kale that Deziarra had mentioned. She'd been expecting someone who would overwhelmed with rage. Instead, Kale turned out to be a kind person, at least as far as first impressions went.

"Hello, Kale." Extending a hand, the newest Infantrywoman of the Eucharis said, "I'm Santo Hei Miyako Akane."

"Pleased to meet you, Akane" he replied shaking the proffered appendage a smile upon his face.

Inwardly he breathed a sigh of relief. The duo didn't seem to be angry that he had entered uninvited, and he hated to get off on the wrong foot with other people.

"I was just popping in for a few minutes to tell you not to worry about cabin arrangements. I noticed a spare billet with Chief Engineer Takeyu. Im going to ask about it after todays outing. How are you two settling in?"

"Things are going fine," Deziarra assured him. "I'm glad we could got that confusion about the cabins out of the way. Akane has an interest in painting. Maybe she'll paint something for us when we're not so busy."

She looked around the room once more and then added, "If there is anything you would like in return for letting us have the cabin, just let me know."

"I love to paint. In a lot of ways, it's who I am when I'm not on duty." Akane understood that her artistic endeavors were a major part of her makeup. She'd been designed to balance herself between warfare and aesthetic beauty.

Looking at Deziarra, Akane said, "Once I get everything set up, I'll try to make a new piece, something to mark the beginning of my time on the Eucharis. I'm not sure what it'll be yet, but, if it comes out right, I'd love to mount it."

Glancing at Kale, she added, "I don't mind if you want to come check on my progress."

Kale smiled.

"I'll be sure to do that. Unfortunately for me, outside of my computer I'm not an artistic person." he shrugged. "Makes it more then difficult to find presents for people though. Though personally I would want to mark my first assignment with something that was dedicated to the whole ship and its crew. For yourself or perhaps the crew lounge."

"Dezierra I'm not and never will be a materialistic person. I don't really need anything I haven't got." he smiled. "Though it would be nice if we could be friends. Both of you that is. I've been here..." a glance at his watch. "Fifteen hours and twenty three minutes. Apart from a couple of people who I met in the crew lounge yesterday I don't really know anybody here."

At that last sentence he rubbed his left wrist absently. Unintentionally showing the tattoo there. The one that he and those he had been close to in past years bore. He had to admit. It wasn't nice to be alone.

Deziarra felt she had said all that needed to be said. It was time to wrap things up. After all, they had a mission to complete.

"We've both been here for even less time than you," she reminded him. "You definitely have my friendship. Perhaps sometime we could invite Yosmet to our group and have all the new crew members together ... but it will have to be at a time when we are not so busy. Good luck."

With that she left the cabin for whatever awaited her outside the Eucharis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back