• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Ryūjō YSS Ryujo, Post-Mission 2

Deck 6, Corridors

Shrii (aka Sakurai-Heisho) came to an abrupt stop, hands akimbo, when she saw all save one member of her squad had come out from the fitness center, and were now arrayed before her. Her eyes narrowed further, and she flinched at Eisei's praise, but the new transfers to her squad received more of her attention.

"Leaving already? I thought you'd just arrived. One-minute workouts aren't your standard regimen, are they?" Her tone was light, but always seemed close to a growl. It was worth wondering whether that, itself, was routine, or more a feature of how she'd been doing the past day. Eisei was used to it, but perhaps that was just special treatment the Heisho gave to her favourite squad member; if her 'favourite' was to be determined by assessing which one she focused on the most often.

Maintenance Tunnels

Argenta didn't need to worry much about pronouncing the name; unless she was coughing up a hairball at the time, she probably wouldn't have gotten the pronunciation right, anyway. It wasn't really made to be spoken through an unobstructed throat.

Zaoggyilo clicked her mandibles once more. The echoes would have been hard to decipher even if Argenta knew the language, but the translator box came through clear enough. "Absolutely, yes, why not? But how?" he continued to fade down the passageway, and Argenta had to follow to still hear clearly. "I may find faults and you may fix them, but who can provide the instructions? If only we were both telepaths. Ha! Ha!" At least she had a sense of humour. What was she up to, anyway?

Last edited:
YSS Ryujo
Still in the Tunnels

"Unless it's something incredibly specific and different every time we discover an error, I'll pick things up quickly." The Minkan chuckled a little bit, at least trying to help lighten the mood with Zao. "And besides, your good mood is going to help out a lot!" The two technicians continued to systematically wander through the tunnels, although the more synthetic one did find the cheeriness odd-best to question it later, while there was actual work to do now.

Deck 6, Corridors

Oh, joy, Fyodor thought, keeping his face as neutral as possible. She’s one of those squad leaders. And she already doesn’t like Eisei? Aye caramba.

“No, ma’am,” the Kodian said, looking past Shrii into the middle distance. “We had an accident, so we were going to get Eisei-hei to the medbay to get checked out and then come back. Of course, we’ll follow your directions if you require something else, ma’am.” Hmm, enough kow-towing or not? Guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Deck 6, Corridors

As Fyodor spoke, Zdena moved over to the left so that the lion could clearly see Eisei's injured arm. She attempted to do this as discreetly as possible, with her hands locked in front of her groin and her feet shoulder width.

Zdena decided that it was best to stay silent, figuring that it was best to let the large Kodian be the voice for the squad as he had the most presence out of all of them.

Deck 6, Corridors

Shrii's jaw clamped shut, and she started past Fyodor, in turn, for a few seconds. Eventually, she glanced over at the wall, apparently to avoid looking at her squad, and pointed a thumb over her shoulder. "Go on, then, I'm sure Eisei-hei knows how to find the med bay on her own. After all, she was just there."

There was definitely a growl, this time. After Eisei had acknowledged the order, Shrii focused and made eye contact with the rest of the squad. "So long as we're here, we'll continue the exercise. No one else is injured. You are not on duty right now, but I would like to know your performance before we enter our next engagement." She started moving on toward the fitness center. At least she seemed feline enough to keep cool and move smoothly, despite being furious.

Maintenance Tunnels

With Zaoggyilo around, there wasn't much opportunity for Argenta to diagnose any problems, so she was free to spend time fixing them. The point where their teamwork broke down was communication. Zaoggyilo wasn't particularly good at explaining what she needed from Argenta, and it was easier to work separately, even when they were in the same corridor.

Fortunately, the Ryujo's internal diagnostics and the ship's computer already had plenty of damage reports, and Zaoggyilo was more concerned with correcting diagnostic faults than discovering problems firsthand. There was plenty of work to do. Much as with the fighters, many components needed to be replaced after having been overloaded by power surges, though only systems near the simulation bay seemed to need this treatment.

More generally, damage control was required on every part of the life support systems that were still connected to the simulation bay, as there had been breaches earlier, and leaking coolant and gas couldn't be ignored for too long. The ship had many ways to reroute its functions when subject to battle damage. Outside of battle, work had to be done to make sure they'd still hold up until the ship returned to drydock for a full retrofit, which could take months, if one wasn't needed sooner.

Argenta's demolitions experience told her that the damage had been done made little sense if the saboteurs had been deliberately trying to destroy the bay, unless they only decided to do so at the last second, before being caught. They hadn't set multiple charges to go off at the same time, nor did they place them where they'd do the most damage. On the other hand, the ordnance was impressive. If they'd been able to reach the ship's power plant, they could have easily breached it with a single charge. It seemed stranger than ever that they'd been able to climb aboard, most explosives that powerful should have been detectable from miles away. Perhaps they'd fooled the ship's sensors, as well.

YSS Ryujo
The small tunnels for maintenance

After a good long while, Argenta sighed to herself. "I apologize, it seems my skills are put to better use elsewhere... I wish you success, Miss Zao." The slightly informal departure message echoed through the busy conduits, it's speaker hoping that the alien wasn't going to take offense to her waste of time. Regardless, the brown-haired Minkan crawled about until she recieved a message for demolitions analysis, seemingly materializing near the hangars where one such explosive had been detonated.

Odd, she thought, transmitting her words via telepathy passively to those around her, They could have easily annihilated the entire ship with the right placements. Since they were on board as infiltrators, they would have known where the most effective locations to detonate would be... As the other technicians resumed their repair work, Serket joining them in rebuilding the effectively annihilated panels, she turned to a more inward thought process.

They didn't want to kill us or destroy the ship... But they couldn't leave us be either? It would make sense for them to want to defend something, hence being hostile, but they almost seemed to refuse to kill anybody... Several more segments of the area were starting to click together with a full team working on them. But why attack if you intend to not kill... Why not send a message? She shrugged, Unless they were trying to force us to retreat?

Deck 6, Corridors

Fyodor took the opportunity given by his new superior walking past him to roll his eyes. Great, the misfit squad gets a butt hurt squad leader, he thought, taking a deep breath before patting Eisei’s head. “Yes, ma’am, right away ma’am,” he said, turning on his heel and following Shrii back into the fitness center. Just don’t take all your anger and annoyance out on the poor Heisho. This whole mess isn’t her fault. She’s just a convenient target.

"So, what do you want me to do, Sakurai-Heisho?" the Kodian asked, cracking his neck as he got ready to go. Part of me wants her to ask to spar. Sure, being a Neko she might kick my rear, but it'll be a good distraction.

Fitness Center

Shrii waved Fyodor toward the fitness center. "I'll see what you do, for now. I'll show you the ropes when we're back on duty." She eschewed the more complex equipment, instead taking a medicine ball. Since the ball had its own antigravity systems, the exercises she could perform with it included vaulting up onto it into a one-hand stand while leaving it floating at about chest height. "You both have your own routines, don't you?"

Shuttle Bay #5

"No worries. I hope the chief comes back, soon..." Zaoggyilo had little trouble removing panels and doing repairs once her robotic limbs were unpacked, though that took a bit of time when she stopped moving. If she had to face these enemies in combat, they'd likely disarm her very easily with her EMP weapons, and then she'd need help, for sure. For now, it was smooth sailing, though.

Though she hadn't asked, specifically, it seemed someone else who'd overheard the thoughts Argenta transmitted earlier requested answers from the MEGAMI on Argenta's behalf. The computer transmitted to Argenta as she suited up to maneuver into the damaged blast doors into the shuttle bay where Errowyn and Fyodor had done battle, until one of the boarders had self-destructed.

"The boarders' main goal was to disable the ship to avoid pursuit. We have seen them to be averse to using lethal force at any time, unless they or their technology is destroyed or compromised, in which case self-destruct mechanisms are employed. They were not able to reach the command and control or engineering sections, as they intended."

The inside of the hangar was still exposed to vacuum and lacked internal gravity, except in a few spots, but sparks were no longer showering, all leaks had been plugged, and Errowyn's battered Kawarime had been lashed down securely to ensure it would not bounce around the deck if the ship engaged in another battle. It wasn't in great shape, but could probably still be jury-rigged into operation.

The shuttle launch bay itself hadn't fared so well, and the bay doors may as well have been one giant hull breach at this point. Argenta wondered if anyone had thought about how to keep boarders out without doors or force screens... though, at least they wouldn't be riding fighters inside, here, anytime soon.

YSS Ryujo
Shuttle Bay Ruins

Much appreciated, MEGAMI.
[/I]
The brunette's artificial brain, processing the damage of the hangar in its own time, focused on the mentioning of pursuit-or more specifically, the lack of such that seemed to be the goal of these mysterious attackers.

MEGAMI, what are the nearest star systems that we have not yet explored on this mission? The fightercraft could wait, at least until something could be done about the gash in the starship's hull. Argenta vaguely recalled people joking about placing turreted weapons instead of vehicles into these bays, though the idea seemed silly-a sabotage to this section would be just as effective if not moreso depending on which weapons were used.

Another questions was delivered to the AI, Where are the nearest electromagnetic-related anomalies, such as pulsar stars? It's possible the extreme radiation from such a unique entity could have given these... Assailants, she'll call them, the ability or necessity to create tools such as this.

Fitness Center

“Sure,” Fyodor replied, heading over to the weights to pick up some twenty-pound dumbbells, before going to the treadmill. Time for a jog, he thought as he pressed a few buttons and started his routine, pumping his arms as he worked away some of the annoying feelings that he held for his brand-new squad leader. Just focus on the mission. Get your stuff back. Worry about the rest of it later.

“So,” the Kodian said once he had settled into a rhythm, “You going to tell us what instructions we’re supposed to implement when we fight the-“ Boarders is too generic. Hmm… “-Assailants next?” Throw flour and grenades all over the place?

Shuttle Bay #5

The MEGAMI replied to Argenta, "There are thousands of unexplored star systems in this region of space. We are far beyond the frontier, following the hyperspace trail left by the enemy carrier group. There are three pulsars within three hundred parsecs, above us, to port, and to starboard."

Fitness Center

Shrii didn't slow down her routine while answering, if anything she seemed keen to show off her multi-tasking ability. "Not exactly. It seems I should tell you, our job is to detect and contain them. Fighting them ourselves is to be a last resort. Ideally, we would capture and detain them. Failing that, we can pin them down until the assault team arrives. Suppression fire, or..." She faltered a moment, but managed to catch herself before receiving a face-full of medicine ball. "...We do need a way to defeat their camouflage. But, we don't know how it works. They can defeat radar, sonar, and infrared, not just visual inspection. We can't all carry around science equipment. Other teams have been saying we might be able to use a 'spotter'."

Fitness Center

“Well,” Fyodor said, taking a moment from his weight lifting to increase the speed of the treadmill a few more kph, “we can use any edge we can get. Sounds like we need a good spotter if can’t use the usual senses to see them.” So going to bring a pair of grenade launchers along though.

“Are they going to assign those spotters to squads or what?” the Kodian asked, glancing over his shoulder at the multi-tasking Neko. Wonder at what point she’s going to complain about me talking too much, he wondered. “Either way, the sooner we can integrate them into the squad, the better.”

Shuttle Bay #5

Hmmmm.... The brown-haired technician thought to herself, wondering what else the assailants could have been working towards. She had to admit that she was stumped for the reasoning of these beings, and of course their actual potential origin.

Her mind worked better when she has multiple things to think about, so she shifted gears and moved to the nearest damage control station, making her way over to a sparking junction shortly after picking up the necessary supplies. She worked the junction by the book, requesting any additional information from the battle what a technician of her rank would have access to-visual feeds, communications, and the like. She wasn't paying too much attention to the chatter of the pilots and some of the bridge crew at the time, only listening for orders directed at her or her profession.

"We have no reserves, so they're going to be squad members," Shrii explained. "I'd like to know if any of you can explain what your jobs are..."

Eisei reentered the medical bay, meanwhile, putting a cheerful spin on it. A quick scan revealed her arm cast couldn't be cut off and replaced, because the fracture had compounded. The ship's chief medical officer was still too weak to perform surgery, but the Heisho of the ship's medics cracked her knuckles, apparently eager to get some practice.

The evening shift was nearing an end, though much of the crew would still be working overtime. This perhaps wasn't the best state to rush into battle, but for whatever reason, the captain wasn't willing to wait.

Medical Bay

"Arm is hurting, Doctur. I'm sorry. Had to sacru-fice it for the greater good again..." Eisei just smiled wearily at the medical Heisho, by now having visited the bay enough for it to be considered routine, really. The re-broken arm was held up like the kind of 'present' a housecat might drag back into the house, but the attitude was still placid and respectful despite this, like a child's version of acting formal.

Thoughts returned to Fyodor and Shrii whilst her limb was achingly twisted, scanned, and reassessed... Fond ideas of Zdena, too, attempting to hide her injury, even if the pink-haired neko was a little confused about why she did that...

Eisei didn't mind the harsh looks from the squad leader, nor the pain or embarrassment. They loved and respected a soldier of the light, and an inability to make friends with them hadn't changed that. Indeed, the NMX neko had tried civilian life, and the only results they could manage seemed non-sequitur, alien and cruel... That realization hurt. They simply weren't built to leave.

"Is... Is it okay to go to battul with this, Hee-sho?" A toothy smile, through strain still revealed itself around the edges. She just wanted to return to the exercise bay. Prove she wasn't totally undone by a simple busted limb. "Think eets gonna need hemo-syeenth?"

Last edited:
Fitness Center

“Well,” Fyodor said, taking a couple of breaths as he kept up the pace of his jog, “I’m essentially a cheap SAINT at this point, thanks to me being stupid yesterday. So, non-official investigator that is also a good bullet sponge and who the Captain doesn’t like that much right now.” Hopefully you don’t take the bullet sponge part too flippantly though, he thought, I’d rather not die for my country if I can help it.

Medical Bay

"That's one of the things it needs," said the acting chief of medical. "I'm going to knock you out to fix these breaks, anyway, and this way you won't wake up until it's done healing... so you won't be able to undo my fine work~!" The Heisho seemed fairly thrilled with the power that went with her present position, and eagerly waved Eisei toward the operating table.

Fitness Center

Shrii stopped her exercise to look at Fyodor flatly, as if she were about to blow her top, briefly, then seemed to cool off, taking a deep breath. When she spoke, she didn't address anyone in specific. "As security team five aboard the Ryujo, we are the first line of defense against shipboard threats, both internal and external. Our mandate is, primarily, the fore section of the lower decks. We patrol for intruders. We respond to threats. And we report any suspicious behavior, or technical malfunctions."

The Azorean grinned nearly from ear to ear from where she was holding her pose on the mat beneath, apparently finding this description very amusing. Fortunately, Shrii wasn't looking her way.

Fitness Center

Ahh, Fyodor thought, as he looked back at Shrii, what’s the job we’re assigned to, not what our individual responsibilities in the team are. I really need to stop and think about these kind of rhetorical questions before I talk.

“Of course, ma’am,” the Kodian said, keeping up his run. He glanced at the Azorean, sighed, then focused on his routine. When will I learn to keep my mouth shut? Like Dad always says, you have two ears and one mouth for a reason.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back