• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Yule Tide Holidays

The Nepleslians have Lewis Pasco Day, which falls IRL on Christmas. The rest of the factions may or may not have their own variations, but with Earth being non-existent and planetary seasons not necessarily matching up, is there a reason for such a holiday for every faction?

Not directly opposing it here, just asking the question. Please don't take it as a "no, don't do it" ^_^;

My suggested tweaks:

- Yamatai would not claim to have originated the holiday
- Not sure food should say "these are the minimum" (maybe "these are the most common")
- I see "it's" where it should say "its"
- Elysians would probably see it as a religious holiday about a prophet of God

The reason for the holiday suddenly showing up IC in the RP should be explained by the occurance of three factors:

- Elysia has rejoined Yamatai and some ascpects of its culture and holidays are being picked up by Yamatai
- All the death and destruction of the Second Mishhuvurthyar War prompts people to want to celebrat life, friends, and family more
- Nepleslia can roll some of the Yule traditions into Pasco Day perhaps

Is Yule the best name for this? It's not any less religious of a term than Christmas or Saturnalia. Maybe we should just call it the "Year-End Festival" or "Winterfest" or build it into the new year's celebration.

Other stuff to add: apple cider, gingerbread houses, candy canes, jingle bells, maybe after the holidays, plots that participate can post examples of traditions actually roleplayed.

I like the idea of making it related to the years end, Winter is relative to a planet's orbital calendar.

Year-End Festival. Has my vote, and it can be a week long period that is observed differently by different cultures.

Granted People, I only made a rough version of the Idea. I'm not fully familiar with all the factions and their calendars.
This thread is to first see if anybody wants to incorporate a galactic (at least for friendly factions) christmas into the setting

You already know I'm good with it since I suggested it. I think almost everyone is...we're just ironing out the details.

I agree with Nash. Sounds good, but it should be year-end not winter, just because of the difference in orbit patterns.

I would like to point out, for the record, that Yule Tide as I have it currently written (I will gladly make changes based on this threads' suggestions) does indeed say Year's End, and not winter

Or both? Celebrate the good that was done in the past year, times people want to remember, and then celebrate the coming of the new year, looking forward to what could happen.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back