• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

$15 Character Artworks from Zairyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you remember Zairyo, the artist that did tons of early SARP art for us? Well I contacted him today and he's offering us some really sweet prices.

Here's what he sent me:

OK, so as you may have seen, I've been doing full color "sketches" for the past year or so. These are cheaper than the digitally inked counterparts as they are less demanding. (I'm basically jumping over a whole step with this method and the finished piece is quite similar)

Here's a better way to explain it:

First the rough sketch as always: http://i5.minus.com/i39nEfXocNCIO.jpg (rest of the samples are from a different commission, I'm using this one 'cause it's the only one I kept online. Mostly 'cause I like it even though it didn't get a pass)

Second the sketch itself: http://i1.minus.com/iUg4e5XedMyAa.jpg This is ready for color.

Third is base color and basic shading: http://i3.minus.com/ibuJK0KLB91nNF.jpg

And the final piece: http://i3.minus.com/ibwkvtR9o5aOC2.jpg

These are $15 - $20 each based on complexity, don't see Star Army characters being over $15 since I've drawn them before. While that piece has a background, it's just something generic I threw there so there's no extra cost for that kind of background.

If you want one of these, let me know. Here's the info I need:

Code:
Character Name:
Character wiki page URL:
Character wiki page up-to-date? (Y/N):
Uniform/Clothing Reference URL:
Notes: (Pose, expression, props, etc)

Who is paying, you or Star Army?

If Star Army is paying, answer the following too:

Have you donated to Star Army? (Y/N):
Does your character have existing art? (Y/N):
How long has this character been actively played?: (X Years/X Months)
Plot Character Is In:
Plot's Most Recent Plot Audit Grade:

IMPORTANT: Please read the following notes from the artist:

I don't know Star Army like the back of my hand, I'm very familiar with it yes but I don't know enough to the point of grasping which rank is which, what uniform goes with what or any of that. If the character has previous art (especially if the previous art isn't mine) I take that art as the main reference. When I post the rough sketch I expect all the corrections to be posted with links when necessary (like Wes did here https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/...artworks-from-zairyo.16638/page-4#post-243463 ) if after I post the rough I get approval instead of corrections, I move on to the other phase. Getting corrections after approval means I would have to start over. That delays me a lot, so please keep that in mind, I wish I was good enough to do it like a machine but I'm not, I do my best on every request and doing it twice is problematic 'cause it doesn't look the same even when traced.

Illustrating and designing are not the same thing. I'm charging $15 for illustrations, meaning a design or clear concept should exist. This character is the one exception to the rule (just 'cause I want to keep moving) Any future request to design will have to either pay for the design or change it to something that exists.

Power Armor is extra. It MIGHT not be too bad to draw, but it is a pain to paint and in either case not $15. Too complex for that amount. Besides you're better off hiring someone that draws mech stuff if you really want that one to look as good as it should.

Last edited:
Yori Kataoka

Yori Kataoka.jpg

An important reminder here, I've said this before I think. Illustrating and designing are not the same thing. I'm charging $15 for illustrations, meaning a design or clear concept should exist. This character is the one exception to the rule (just 'cause I want to keep moving) Any future request to design will have to either pay for the design or change it to something that exists.

Character Design

$50 - $100 USD
(it's on my deviantart page)

@Semjax Note that the boots can't be worn at the same time as medals, if you're asking for medals. Also I'd prefer you use one of the authorized boot styles. They'd be easier for Zairyo to draw, too.

@Zairyo I added your notes to the OP.

Commissions Tracking Post

1. Maximillian Keno - PAID (Wes), Completed
2. Tanja Dunst - PAID (Wes), Completed
3. Freyja Oinari - PAID (Wes), Completed
4. Yamashiro Sakura - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
5. Ise Nenene - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
6. Nagato Maki - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
7. Ise Momoka - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
8. Quinn Cathal - PAID (Wes), Completed
10. Abigayl Dorkley (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
11. Hugar (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Lineart, Completed
12. Yori Kataoka (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), sketch
13. Ine'dan'ir Kel'ryn (post #36) - PAID (Aendri)
14. Analiese (post #41) - PAID (Wes)
15. Katayanagi Merna (post #41) - PAID (Wes)
16. Hoshitomo Rin (post #100) - not yet paid (paladinrpg)
17. Charalampos Ambrosia (#121) - PAID (Wes)
18. Patroklos Lambros (#121) - PAID (Wes)
19. Ambriel Cinna (#122) - not yet paid (Aendri)
20. Chūjitsu Anjin (#173) - PAID (Nashoba)
21. Ishikawa Chiasa (#173) - PAID (Nashoba)
22. Matonaka Megami (#176) - PAID (Semjax)

@Zairyo Sorry about that, was looking for suits that would work up until the last minute so I could narrow down the image as much as I could. Thank you for still taking the request even though I wasn't clear enough.

She does look great though and so does the suit. Only thing is the hair braid hanging down on the right side is missing.

The hair braid was there (granted a bit too light and only as a few lines) unless you wanted it front which is doable but would take more time.

Yori Kataoka pencils.jpg

Yes that one is also digitally finished since it has many details that I just can't do on paper. Again not something I plan on repeating too often 'cause it takes me centuries. I know you probably see people draw very fast or at a decent speed. I'm not one of those people, this video has parts that are time lapsed 16x, most of them are 8x and none are in real time 'cause it's just not possible. In fact the first time I recorded a video of me inking something, I took so long the app crashed and the whole inking video went to hell.

Last edited:
I was referring to a small braided strand of hair she has made out of the red part of her hair. It's just face length and thing, but only do it if it wont take long. Also I'm fine if you stop on just flat colors on this. I don't want to take up too much of your time with her and I'm happy enough she even has a picture now.

Time is money Enansel, so you can't have someone spending all their time on something if you don't pay them for it.

Argh damn it. Read it wrong then, sorry and yes it would take a bit of extra time unless I didn't merge the lines. Will check and post the revised version if I didn't merge them, or post the base colors if I did.

"Time is money Enansel, so you can't have someone spending all their time on something if you don't pay them for it."

Exactly.

EDIT:

OK like this?

braid.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't realize you were posting the edit on the same post, I was waiting for a notice saying there were new post.. Yeah that looks good.

Sorry for the delay I had to take a break then things happened. Anyway here are the base colors if you're OK with them, if not lmk which color to change. There's also the shadow map so you can have an idea of how the final image can look (granted it's missing light which I can't do until I know the colors are correct)

Yori Kataoka  base.jpg

AND I just noticed I left the tools orange... my bad,changing them now.

Hmm colors look great actually the only thing is the hair, can the red part be a little darker and a little more saturated, just so it's a little more noticeable that it's red(unless the light will make the difference more noticeable. The color selection you used works out better than the one I was imagining too.

It looks awesome!

9. Abigayl Dorkley (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
10. Hugar (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Lineart, Completed
11. Yori Kataoka (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), sketch
12. Ine'dan'ir Kel'ryn (post #36) - PAID (Aendri)
13. Analiese (post #41) - PAID (Wes)
14. Katayanagi Merna (post #41) - PAID (Wes)
15. Hoshitomo Rin (post #100) - not yet paid (paladinrpg)
16. Charalampos Ambrosia (#121) - PAID (Wes)
17. Patroklos Lambros (#121) - PAID (Wes)
18. Ambriel Cinna (#122) - not yet paid (Aendri)
19. Chūjitsu Anjin (#173) - PAID (Nashoba)
20. Ishikawa Chiasa (#173) - PAID (Nashoba)
21. Matonaka Megami (#176) - PAID (Semjax)

Verifying my PayPal summary shows that Hoshitomo Rin is paid, Ambriel Cinna (correct on the list) is not paid yet (no rush just keeping track) and Matonaka Megami which shows as Paid on the list is not paid. Nevermind, found it. Fixed the numbering which threw me off.

Last edited:

10. Abigayl Dorkley (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
11. Hugar (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Lineart, Completed
12. Yori Kataoka (post #11) - PAID (Semjax), Completed
13. Ine'dan'ir Kel'ryn (post #36) - PAID (Aendri)
14. Analiese (post #41) - PAID (Wes)
15. Katayanagi Merna (post #41) - PAID (Wes)
16. Hoshitomo Rin (post #100) - PAID (paladinrpg)
17. Charalampos Ambrosia (#121) - PAID (Wes)
18. Patroklos Lambros (#121) - PAID (Wes)
19. Ambriel Cinna (#122) - not yet paid (@Aendri )
20. Chūjitsu Anjin (#173) - PAID (Nashoba)
21. Ishikawa Chiasa (#173) - PAID (Nashoba)
22. Matonaka Megami (#176) - PAID (Semjax)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back