• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

$15 Character Artworks from Zairyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you remember Zairyo, the artist that did tons of early SARP art for us? Well I contacted him today and he's offering us some really sweet prices.

Here's what he sent me:

OK, so as you may have seen, I've been doing full color "sketches" for the past year or so. These are cheaper than the digitally inked counterparts as they are less demanding. (I'm basically jumping over a whole step with this method and the finished piece is quite similar)

Here's a better way to explain it:

First the rough sketch as always: http://i5.minus.com/i39nEfXocNCIO.jpg (rest of the samples are from a different commission, I'm using this one 'cause it's the only one I kept online. Mostly 'cause I like it even though it didn't get a pass)

Second the sketch itself: http://i1.minus.com/iUg4e5XedMyAa.jpg This is ready for color.

Third is base color and basic shading: http://i3.minus.com/ibuJK0KLB91nNF.jpg

And the final piece: http://i3.minus.com/ibwkvtR9o5aOC2.jpg

These are $15 - $20 each based on complexity, don't see Star Army characters being over $15 since I've drawn them before. While that piece has a background, it's just something generic I threw there so there's no extra cost for that kind of background.

If you want one of these, let me know. Here's the info I need:

Code:
Character Name:
Character wiki page URL:
Character wiki page up-to-date? (Y/N):
Uniform/Clothing Reference URL:
Notes: (Pose, expression, props, etc)

Who is paying, you or Star Army?

If Star Army is paying, answer the following too:

Have you donated to Star Army? (Y/N):
Does your character have existing art? (Y/N):
How long has this character been actively played?: (X Years/X Months)
Plot Character Is In:
Plot's Most Recent Plot Audit Grade:

IMPORTANT: Please read the following notes from the artist:

I don't know Star Army like the back of my hand, I'm very familiar with it yes but I don't know enough to the point of grasping which rank is which, what uniform goes with what or any of that. If the character has previous art (especially if the previous art isn't mine) I take that art as the main reference. When I post the rough sketch I expect all the corrections to be posted with links when necessary (like Wes did here https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/...artworks-from-zairyo.16638/page-4#post-243463 ) if after I post the rough I get approval instead of corrections, I move on to the other phase. Getting corrections after approval means I would have to start over. That delays me a lot, so please keep that in mind, I wish I was good enough to do it like a machine but I'm not, I do my best on every request and doing it twice is problematic 'cause it doesn't look the same even when traced.

Illustrating and designing are not the same thing. I'm charging $15 for illustrations, meaning a design or clear concept should exist. This character is the one exception to the rule (just 'cause I want to keep moving) Any future request to design will have to either pay for the design or change it to something that exists.

Power Armor is extra. It MIGHT not be too bad to draw, but it is a pain to paint and in either case not $15. Too complex for that amount. Besides you're better off hiring someone that draws mech stuff if you really want that one to look as good as it should.

Last edited:
ibxjDZb2BUa2AR.png

Commissions Tracking Post

1. Maximillian Keno - PAID (Wes), Completed
2. Tanja Dunst - PAID (Wes), Completed
3. Freyja Oinari - PAID (Wes), Completed
4. Yamashiro Sakura - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
5. Ise Nenene - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
6. Nagato Maki - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
7. Ise Momoka - PAID (Gunsight1), Completed
8. Quinn Cathal - PAID (Wes), Completed
10. Abigayl Dorkley (post #11) - PAID (Semjax)
11. Hugar (post #11) - PAID (Semjax)
12. Yori Kataoka (post #11) - PAID (Semjax)
13. Ine'dan'ir Kel'ryn (post #36) - PAID (Aendri)
14. Analiese (post #41) - PAID (Wes)
15. Katayanagi Merna (post #41) - PAID (Wes)
16. Hoshitomo Rin (post #100) - not yet paid (paladinrpg)
17. Charalampos Ambrosia (#121) - not yet paid (Wes)
18. Patroklos Lambros (#121) - not yet paid (Wes)
19. Ambriel Cinna (#122) - not yet paid (Aendri)

I know I was trying to be subtle, but I didn't expect to be that subtle so I'll just go for it. I'm illustrating not designing (I charge a lot more for designs) So when I read

Ears: Abigayl has the typical ears of a Nepleslian.
That says nothing to me.

Uniform/Clothing Reference URL: Its really just a pair of Shorts...
Um...

Build and Skin Color: Hugar has the build of a standard Helashio whom has spent his life doing hard labor.
Note that the profile has no link to Helashio, though sure I can just look it up. But looking up this and that, things add up and wastes time. same with Minkan.

Then there's elf ears. Most cinematic elf ears are nothing more than Vulcan ears. However my fantasy inspiration for elf ears are from anime, namely Deedlit, Pirotess, Arshes Nei, Marlene (yes I may have a thing for these types of Dark Elves)

What I'm trying to say is, if you have an image in mind of how the character should look like, try to gather the references. And this is not limited to this commission but everyone listed should check. If you are OK with what I come up with then that's fine, the main difference between designing and illustrating is the back and forth. Designing is more like sculpting than drawing.
I really don't want to sound "entitled" (especially 'cause I hate that word with a passion) but it's something I mentioned and is still important to understand. I am thankful for the work but can't expect the work of a $50+ commission on a $15 one.

abigayl pencils.jpg

Ok, @Zairyo, thanks for the info. I will update my post for my two that are listed so far with references as soon as I can. I know I have a bit of time, but still don't want to wait too long. :)

@Zairyo The problem with finding a reference picture is that, particularly for Hugar, I have no way to find one cause the Helashio are not completely humanoid, they have tails, they have cat ears, they have no body hair at all. Finding all this along side the right hairstyle would be nearly impossible. The best I can tell you is to give his body the type of body Arnold Schwarzenegger had back in his body building days. Here is a reference picture: Arnold Schwarzenegger

If you want something for the shorts I guess you can go with something akin to this: The only real difference is that its up at the knees instead of as far down as it is in the picture.

Here is a Helashio Female: Saja from the Helashio Wiki Page Unfortunately it doesn't show the tail that they have in that pic as its just a bust so here:

Male Helashio are often 5’5 to 7’5 feet in height. They tend to have a compact muscular build, one that would be suitable for an acrobat, or an Olympic runner. Male tails often are shorter, and less flexible than the tails of female Helashio. Male Helashio often maintain a physical appearance of youth until their middle age years. Helashio Males tend to live to be the age of 110 human years.

and

he distinguishing features of a Helashio are eyes with large pupils, a complete lack of body hair on the body other than the head of the individual, and a prehensile tail that varies in length from two feet to five. Ears of Helashio have been noted to have a radical variation between those drawn close to the skull, a common trait among most humanoids, to ears which appear like those of a primitive primate, perched upon the skull.

Helashio's don't have a lot of information to them so I apologize that I am incapable of finding sufficient data to help you. That being said the only really important things about Hugar is he's tall, he has cat based ears, and he has a tail, and he's very muscular.

Furthermore, he has shoulder length red hair, I'll give you a reference picture for that as well Heres the hair length and style and finally the shade of red I want: Here is the shade of red

And here is a Nepleslian ear: As far as I know this is as close of a representation as I can get

If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask, I guess.

Also, I like how you're going with Abigayl so far. I approve for the next step.

Last edited:
Well you can frankestein references like others have done.
A big dude again... not very good with those, you can ask Wes, he knows how bad they turn out. I will try it but yea, be ready to change characters if you don't like the result.

Well you can frankestein references like others have done.
A big dude again... not very good with those, you can ask Wes, he knows how bad they turn out. I will try it but yea, be ready to change characters if you don't like the result.

I respect that, and do have other characters in mind if it doesn't turn out good. Just do what you can :)

I actually like the second one with white and purple. Her skin needs to be a bit darker though, like Caramel Chocolate mix, not completely dark brown, but a decently light brown.

OK, this is the second dark skin character wearing dark clothes when the background color is known to be dark blue.

Abigayl Dorkley base 2.jpg

At least this one is showing enough skin for appropriate highlights to be added. Speaking of which, that tone OK?

Reactions: Wes
Oh Abi looks nice.

Also @Zairyo I have a more 'narrowed' reference line for the image of Kataoka Yori. I gotta get @Semjax to post it on the original post, but I'll post it here too, since you're moving fast.

(This replaces the current 'Uniform/clothing' line)
Uniform/Clothing:A green and black mechanic's jumpsuit similar to http://skiorh.deviantart.com/art/mech-pilot-337771933 in design(form fitting, not skin tight, light armoring at limbs) with visible 'hardpoint' connectors like in this picture http://jarloworks.deviantart.com/art/Robot-Suit-Remaster-78007668 . A black sports bra.

Edit:Added a reference to her character page for her ears too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back