• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

OOC 21st Squadron Discussion

Gab, just so you know, Breaking Left is throwing the stick over and causing the aircraft to make an abrupt turn, it's a basic manoeuvre but it can cost a fair amount of airspeed. In this case Silic is telling Yaeko to turn into the enemy and try to make them overshoot.

In the atmosphere you are constrained to a max speed of Mach 6. And while the Combined Field System ignores Gravity and Time outside of its 'bubble' I saw nothing saying that friction in the atmosphere couldn't slow it. In fact, I think because there's a statistic at all means that friction does mess with the speed of the craft.

I'll leave the final decision up to Nashoba, though.

That is correct. The Kawarime is a Endo/Exo Atmospheric fighter. It uses airfoils and controls such as airlerons, elevator, flaps in the atmosphere.

Even the battlepods when in the atmosphere are constrained by the fact that they are moving through a medium.

I used "air speed" because of the current atmosphere, plus the fact that I was relating to a real life manoeuvre. Perhaps I should have used the term kinetic speed, but even if Kawarimes didn't use air foils, the CFS would cause drag with the air.

I prefer to explain things simply, needless complications were once my greatest flaw, one I have been working to get rid of for years. I'm also an experienced dog fighter with Newtonian physics, and I can tell you this much, Star Wars ain't got noth'in.

I'm going to be gone starting Monday (March 22nd) for about a week. Expect me back around the 28th-30th.

-Sam

Meanwhile, I'm going to take advantage of the fact that the Kawarime is two times as fast as the SR-71, and more manueverable than a Modern Fighter.

While the Kawarime is faster than the SR-71, since it doesn't have to worry about fuel etc, for dogfighting and maneuvering you have slow down to about half that speed unless you are just looking to blow past the enemy.

Erm, you do realise that the Cobra Attack Move is theorised to suicide combat, used only when you know you're gunna get taken down and want that other mofo to feel a missle coming towards him? I say theorised because it's never been used in battle, and only aircraft with vector thrusting have been able to pull it off at air shows.

Also, Shin just make himself a stationary target...

Jimmy said:
Erm, you do realise that the Cobra Attack Move is theorised to suicide combat, used only when you know you're gunna get taken down and want that other mofo to feel a missile coming towards him? I say theorised because it's never been used in battle, and only aircraft with vector thrusting have been able to pull it off at air shows.

Also, Shin just make himself a stationary target...

That wasn't a Cobra.

A Cobra is when you go up, you stall a bit, then fire. What shin did was change direction entirely

Don't be pedantic.

It takes time for something to accelerate, hell, the plane will still be "braking" backwards for at least a few seconds.

Jimmy said:
Don't be pedantic.

It takes time for something to accelerate, hell, the plane will still be "braking" backwards for at least a few seconds.

CFS is a hell of a propulsion system

CFS effectiveness is reduced in atmospheres apparently. If this is the case the g-force would have likely ripped the flesh from Shins bones. Just saying, maybe not the smartest idea, think it over.^^

P.S. Did you watch that dogfighting youtube vid I linked you to about a week ago?

The Kawarime uses the CFS primarily for protection. Switching to it for maneuvering means reducing your shield strength just like the starships.

Also in atmosphere the Kawarime uses aerodynamic lift, aka the air moving over the wings, switching to CFS to maneuver and then return to atmospheric causes that lift to be disrupted and the Kawarime will in fact stall and drop until it gains enough airspeed to generate lift.

Sorry about the absence guys, went away for spring break w/o internet access and totally forgot to post something.

No problem, at least I didn't use you for kaboom like Wes' has done in the past hehehehe

RPG-D RPGfix
Back