Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC 4th Fleet OOC Thread

Re: [4th AASP] OOC Thread

AusGre said:
I suppose you're right, the more I look back at his background, I do see your point there. So, I'll leave the spot blank for now and decide what should go there down the road. It made me a bit agitated when it was put down on the skills section and there was a reccomendation not to take it. Personally, it raises the qustion as to why even have it on the skill list. Perhaps it should be something given with rank, because as it stands most lower ranking people or privates, like myself will never have the opportunity to have it. Considering that they do not teach it in the Nepleslian Military.

And I have to agree with Cedric, during my time at Marine Boot Camp, they taught us about leadership in depth. Maybe not to the degree of an officer or their schooling, but enough.
It is there for veteran players who are creating officers or leader characters. Most GMs make use of it in their GMNPCs. I used it for Valken.

Sigma said:
AusGre said:
I suppose you're right, the more I look back at his background, I do see your point there. So, I'll leave the spot blank for now and decide what should go there down the road. It made me a bit agitated when it was put down on the skills section and there was a reccomendation not to take it. Personally, it raises the qustion as to why even have it on the skill list. Perhaps it should be something given with rank, because as it stands most lower ranking people or privates, like myself will never have the opportunity to have it. Considering that they do not teach it in the Nepleslian Military.

And I have to agree with Cedric, during my time at Marine Boot Camp, they taught us about leadership in depth. Maybe not to the degree of an officer or their schooling, but enough.
It is there for veteran players who are creating officers or leader characters. Most GMs make use of it in their GMNPCs. I used it for Valken.

I can vouch for this. I used it for my only officer ever, an Abwehran Leutnant.

Long story short, first time I made officer character was about year and half after I joined. Information on the sight is massive and even if you read whole wiki, you still get the feeling by playing. Then you can get together with a GM and talk to him if you can make officer character.

Other problem is, that many character start as privates and Santo Heis and they had to be around for a while and get to hell and back to get promotions. And suddenly someone would just make officer character and joined the plot. So while someone was busting his ass to get promotion and make leading character from the position of private, somone new would coma and starting with that position. Which is why when I made officer character it was for the plot that was just starting.

But anyway like I said you could have keep the skill you know. But it would have to look different. If you write it differently it should be okay.
For example:
"Alrik had tough time in gangs. He had to make other ganger trust in him and believe him. Which is why he learned to look inspiring and confident even in tough times. He simply can lead by example. While he stil lack real knowledge of leadership, he can be very inspirational in battlefield."

And there you have basic skill for leadership you can work on and make it better how plot moves on.

Well, now I think the rule is that newcomers must start with an enlisted character.

EDIT: I give all remaining Marines on Tange 36 hours from this post to get aboard the Destiny. We'll leave without you :D

Well, making characters that are intended to be officers from the start is fine. What I guess I'm trying to say is that it shouldn't even say, "this is not recommended for new players." When it should be banned from new players, so the community doesn't have this issue. Anyway, I will finally post in the battle, I suppose I had a bit of a disadvantage when I first posted with the Hostiles. I didn't even know there was a Wiki page for them. Although, I do have a question about the Hostile's Sensors, is it possible to overload the radar system enough to effect those using a radar system within a close range?

Not really but I won't stop you from trying that if you think its a good idea. Can't say whether or not you'll enjoy the consequences.

I won't be giving away hints :) But I can give you all an IC debriefing afterwards.

AusGre said:
Well, making characters that are intended to be officers from the start is fine. What I guess I'm trying to say is that it shouldn't even say, "this is not recommended for new players." When it should be banned from new players, so the community doesn't have this issue. Anyway, I will finally post in the battle, I suppose I had a bit of a disadvantage when I first posted with the Hostiles. I didn't even know there was a Wiki page for them. Although, I do have a question about the Hostile's Sensors, is it possible to overload the radar system enough to effect those using a radar system within a close range?

How exactly do you mean? "Overload" the RADAR to affect those around you? That doesn't make sense. It's a passive detection system, so you couldn't overload it in the first place, and even if you could, you'd just end up burning it out or something. It's not an ECM. o_O

Sigma is there chance to speed up Funhouse a little? Checkign room by room would take another month.....

I agree. Especially since Kampfer/Koenig doesn't seem to be a very regular poster. Will think of a way to speed it up.

How exactly do you mean? "Overload" the RADAR to affect those around you? That doesn't make sense. It's a passive detection system, so you couldn't overload it in the first place, and even if you could, you'd just end up burning it out or something. It's not an ECM. o_O

It's not that hard, considering there's a computer connected to the systems within the Hostile's suit, it would be possible to have ample amounts of energy boosting the radar, but the ideal effect would be to have the radar pushing out an enormous signal to the point where those nearby using their own radar would be considered blinded, due to their own systems not calibrated to handle the frequency of the user's radar. It's similar to the Noisemaker ability that the Hostile has. I'm sorry, we were able to do it in Star Fleet Battles, I know that's not this game, but it was fair question.

So... use the Noisemaker if the effect is similar and you don't run the risk of me killing your radar? :?

This ain't the Federation! WE gots warships! Though, I can give you a red shirt if you want one.

EDIT: I am now instituting call signs rather than names. Do you want to use nicknames or numbers?

Wait what?

Callsigns? Nicknames? Er, no offense to anyone, but I don't think we're quite LEET enough yet for that. XD

Eh, we could always try.

So long as the names (if we go with names) aren't used to excess, like just in daily conversation with one another.

I am not against callsigns. But they should be more like nicknames. IE you should do something to deserve it. Like let's if Lisa would listen to Aethersperm extremely loud while rocking about, other could start calling her Metal-head or something : )

Also, I might suggest mixing them, and going with the Army style for radio identifiers.

So to shorten the name that was decided, Volkov's Cavaliers, the call-signs would be "Cavaliers" when out in the field. However, we would need to work out squads. As so:

Cavalier 6 = Phaedra, Team Leader.
Cavalier 7 = Cedric, Second.

Cavalier Whiskey Actual (Just for name sake)*= 1st Squad Leader.
~ Cavalier Whiskey 1-# = The members of the squad.

Cavalier Juliet Actual = 2nd Squad Leader.
~ Cavalier Juliet 1-# = The members of the squad.

* = The squad leader would not identify themself as "Cavalier Whiskey/Juliet Actual" when addressing "Cavalier 6" or "Cavalier 7". They would simply identify themself as "Whiskey Actual" or "Juliet Actual". This is just a modified version of the US Army radio procedures. However, OOCly, we would have to make sure everybody (especially new players) would know who was identified by what.

Cedric said:
Also, I might suggest mixing them, and going with the Army style for radio identifiers.

So to shorten the name that was decided, Volkov's Cavaliers, the call-signs would be "Cavaliers" when out in the field. However, we would need to work out squads. As so:

Cavalier 6 = Phaedra, Team Leader.
Cavalier 7 = Cedric, Second.

Cavalier Whiskey Actual (Just for name sake)*= 1st Squad Leader.
~ Cavalier Whiskey 1-# = The members of the squad.

Cavalier Juliet Actual = 2nd Squad Leader.
~ Cavalier Juliet 1-# = The members of the squad.

* = The squad leader would not identify themself as "Cavalier Whiskey/Juliet Actual" when addressing "Cavalier 6" or "Cavalier 7". They would simply identify themself as "Whiskey Actual" or "Juliet Actual". This is just a modified version of the US Army radio procedures. However, OOCly, we would have to make sure everybody (especially new players) would know who was identified by what.

So if I'm figuring this out correctly, Phaedra would be Cavalier Wolf(or whatever I put here) Actual, and any of her squad members would be Cavalier Wolf #number#, but she would address herself as "Wolf Actual," and address squad members as simply "Cavalier #number#."

And as for Callsigns, I do not oppose them, but Phaedra already has dibs on "Wolf." :twisted:

I'm gonna have to veto the military style, Cedric. Considering its only one squad of players, its too complicated.

Well, its something we'll play around with in the JP. If it doesn't work well, then I'll scrap it.

Phaedra has dibs on Wolf but we got a character NAMED Wolf. Confusing, isn't it?

Sigma said:
I'm gonna have to veto the military style, Cedric. Considering its only one squad of players, its too complicated.

Well, its something we'll play around with in the JP. If it doesn't work well, then I'll scrap it.

Phaedra has dibs on Wolf but we got a character NAMED Wolf. Confusing, isn't it?
Well Volkov means Wolf, and even if she had that as a callsign she'd probably be addressed as Sergeant, or address herself as such. So actually this is a moot point. 8-)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back