• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Senate: Defeated #81 - Repealing of Taisho Yui's Species Restrictions

FM

Inactive Member
Alphonse spoke not. He let his proposal do the talking.

Senator Maximillian Alphonse said:
The current standing order from Taisho Ketsururi Yui was in the interest of increasing efficiency, however, it is of my belief, and definately that of others, that this order does precicely the opposite.

However, that issue is besides the point. This order is in violation of Military Law #4 - reading, in part:
The Star Army...may not discriminate by not by race, religion, sexual preference, or ancestry.

Thus, we must correct this violation.

Proposal:
  1. The order of Taisho Yui is immediately repealed, with the exception of the orders for the upgrade of currently existing Nekovalkyrja, as they are owned by the Star Army under law and thus not subject to such restrictions.
  2. Apologies are immediately provided for those affected crewmen.
  3. Notices are given to all Geshrin military personnel that upgrading is still in their best interest and should be performed immediately, and that they will be revived as NH-22 should they fall in combat.
  4. Notices are given to Nepleslian enlisted military personnel (not officers) that they will be revived as NH-22 should they fall in combat, unless they have sufficient cybernetics to make such upgrades unneccecary.

He sat and waited as he watched the others. Well, here comes the death of my career.

Hoshi no Iori votes NO, because "the proposal's reason is invalid. The Star Army is permitted to discriminate by species for efficiency purposes. Nekovalkyrja and Yamataians are superior species."

"Ohara votes yes, for two reasons:

One, while I loathe to lecture our Taishos on military strategy, I cannot fathom why sending soldiers home in the middle of a war can be considered good strategy. While this may improve the coherency and operational efficiency of the Star Army in the long run, it has already caused serious disruptions and a decrease in the combat abilities of our military forces in the short run. I remind the Senator of Hoshi no Iori that we're in a war for our survival.

Two, while I am sure that Taisho Yui has the best of intentions, opportunistic politicans on Ohara has been able to use this order to cast the Empire in a negative light. Accusations of Yamataian racism abound in Phodian media. There are still political forces on Ohara that advocate a split from the Empire, and I believe the same can be said for Gashmere and Lor. The image of the Empire is being tarnished.

Finally, I would like to note that this will most likely be a vote on principle. The arrow has already left the bow, so to speak. I doubt that many of the soldiers already sent away will be wanting to come back."

The Senator from Taiie was about to stand up ... but a Nekovalkyrja walked up behind her, bent down and whispered in her ear. The Senator appeared relieved, handed a few things to the Neko, then left.

The Nekovalkyrja sifted through the things for a moment, then put them down. She removed her overcoat, white panels bright against the standard issue Star Army stretchsuit. The rank pin on her chest was that of a Shôshô, Fifth Expeditionary Fleet.

"My apologies, Senators. The Chujo has been recalled by her fleet to serve a most important position. I have been asked to replace her." The Shôshô bowed, short black hair falling just to the bottom edge of her black-furred ears. "I am Shôshô Kazuhiko Minari, and I shall represent the interests of Taiie before this body of government."

"I have been briefed on the measure before the Senate now. It is the interests of Taiie that drive me to speak on this measure, despite its personal implications for me. Taiie has a budding self-defense force, yet even if it had the most elite equipment, the Yamataian and Geshrin minds are inherently flawed in combat. Despite its similar design to that of the Nekovalkyrja, those 'species' are unsuitable for the rigours that must be endured in our long war with the Mishhuvurthyar.

"Nekovalkyrja were created solely for war. It is a 'species' that is good at what it does. Geshrin and Yamataians are the ploughs of the Empire; Neko are the swords. That we allow any species into a situation it is not designed for is utterly illogical and will surely cause more suffering than is warranted. Taiie is especially vulnerable, and I speak for them when I say they deserve the best protection Yamatai can offer, not protection weakened by the minds and bodies of lesser 'species.'

"I need only point to deceased Taisho Motoyoshi Katsuko, Chiharu bless her soul, to point out exactly how mindless it is for Yamataians to be in combat. Had she still been NH-17, or even the weaker NH-29, she would have survived the attempt to kill her and possibly even killed her assailant. Instead, she is dead, and we are without an incredibly useful brain trust -- a trust that could have been tapped safely from Yamatai by vessels in the field.

"Therefore, I feel this proposal to rescind Ketsurui-sama's order is valid. Her order does not go far enough in restricting what species should be allowed to serve in the Star Army of Yamatai. We tarnish the Empire's image by not providing the best protection. Ketsurui-sama's proposal does not go far enough in restricting for purposes of efficiency the types of species entering direct combat, and therefore does not serve Taiie's interests.

Kazuhiko looked to the Phodian senator, her deadpan face cracking along a toothy smile. "You find an ally in Taiie for now, Phodian."

"Taiie votes yes."

The tall neko from Hoshi no Iori was furious. "You @#$%ing idiot. Why are you voting yes? The order in its current state is better than nothing!"

Kazuhiko narrowed her eyes. "I represent the interests of Taiie, Senator. They do not want half-cocked measures that do not cut to the core of the problem! They want to see a professional military machine protecting them, not a self-weakened unit that panders to a 'species' that does not belong.

"Taiie, a planet of proud and hardy people, wishes Yamatai to stand up for itself and practice the ethics it espouses. Yet the Empire compromises needlessly. How sad."

"What is sad is how out of touch you are with the will of the people and they very soldiers serving under you. The possibility of exceptions and the delay for Nepleslians is a direct result of that."

Kazuhiko could only smirk. "What would you know of Taiie, Senator? What would you know of their desires? I am not here to represent my soldiers; they are represented by the likes of the Chujo I replaced.

"These 'delays' you speak of are not the result of my actions any more than they are the result of yours. It is Yamatai's reluctance to clearly define the 'superior species' for what they are, and make sure Nekovalkyrja are the true swords of the Empire! That you cannot or will not understand as much is not my concern."

"This exclusivity claus is most sickening." The Lorath senator muttered as he rubbed his nosebridge after reading it. "An empire that prides itself on it's diversity and will for growth, willingly culling their own military due to "efficency issues." That's a laudable exuse." He said with a slight acidic tone.

"I vote Yes to this proposal, the order negates the very reason may worlds have joined, that is protecting their homes from enemies. Aside from that, willingly cutting back on military numbers in the middle of a war for survival is most inherently dumb."

Standing, the senator leaned forward on his desk. "Is not this order against the law since it states that Nekovalkyrja, Yamatians, and Nelpeslians, of all the races that make up this galactic empire, are the only ones allowed to serve in the military?"

He then looked over to the Hoshi no Iori's senator. "I would also like to bring up something you stated." he said while straightening, "you stated that the Yamatians and Nekovalkyrja are the superior species. Which is bigoted, but not truely relevent to what I want to talk about. Why are Nelpeslians, the baseline humans that the Geshrin and Yamataian body types are based on, allowed to still serve? They're more out of date, and less eficent then the Geshrin."

"I should point out to the Senator from Lor that Neplesians, as part of the order, were banned from serving." Alphonse offered no other opinion. I find an ally in Taiie again today as well...but for how long? Her reasons are perhaps the worst reasons of all to vote 'yes'. Right vote, wrong conclusion.

(Wes, if you don't think I've the time to be a senator or whatnot, just let me know, and void this post. I might get some details wrong: I'm pretty sure I read about Xyainbor being destroyed or invaded or something but if I'm incorrect, again, just let me know.)

Xyainbor had been conspicuously silent over the past few sessions. Not only was the senator busy in dealing with documents and reports concerning the battle over his homeworld, but the planet had a history of conservatism--that is to say, the senator trusted the current government and thought most new proposed laws were unnecessary, or even seditious in cases like Proposal 70. For this reason, Xyainbor often sided with Hoshi no Iori, but in this case, it was a matter of principle.

The senator from Xyainbor was an older man with a low, loud voice and gnarled demeanor. He was impatient and stubborn but put off an air of dedication and willingness to debate for the good of the Empire. It'd been a while since he said anything in the Senate, lately not even announcing "abstain," and thus surprised even himself when he rose from his seat and stepped forward to address the matter.

Don't even know if I've got a vote anymore, but here we go.

"Now, these Lorath, I can disagree with them on many an issue, but here they make a damn fine point. My sentiment's the same as the others: the law says 'no discrimination' in simple terms. Hoshi no Iori can't just make up some exception without putting it through the Senate first. But then, I can understand that you'd not want to because it'd not likely pass."

"Let the Star Army be populated by those who want to serve their Empire." With that, the senator sat down as he announced, "If Xyainbor's still got a vote, it's yes."

The Lorath Senator rubbed his right temple slightly as he glanced at Alphonse

"Might I remind the honourable senator from Anisa, that the exclusivity order allows Nelpeslians to serve non-combat support roles. Though those roles are small, they are roles none the less."

"That maybe true, but unlike all the other peoples that make up the empire, they are allowed, even if it's for a short time, while everyone whom is not a Neko or Yamataian are not." The Lor Senator responded.

"Again, the proposal's reason is invalid. The Star Army is permitted to 'discriminate by species for efficiency purposes,' therefore this is a reasonless proposal and should not be allowed to pass at all."

She sketched up a quick manga comic page to illustrate her point.
Hoshi no Iori's senator said:
Yui: "Here's two muffins."

Kazuhiko: "Waaaaah! I want THREE muffins."

Yui: "Two is better than nothing."

Kazuhiko: "No, ONLY three! I'll starve instead!"

Yui said:
STAR ARMY COMMAND
HEADQUARTERS, KYOTO, YAMATAI

Shôshô Kazuhiko Minari,

1. Your political incompetence is astounding! You'd better change your vote on #81 to NO.

Signed,

Ketsurui Yui
Mistress of the Star Army

The note in her orders file wasn't exactly amusing. The small drawing was, only because it showed how petty and weak the Senator from Hoshi no Iori was. Resulting to comical drawings?

"We are not talking about food, Senator," Kazuhiko said smoothly. "We are speaking of the Star Army, and we leave ourselves vulnerable with any less than the best. I believe Yui-sama knows full well how necessary a properly staffed military is."

A lie. Not that she had another choice, but Kazuhiko had to say it. I'm not here to make Yui happy. I'm here for those who were honorable enough to memorialize the Taisho.

"Besides which ... if the Star Army does not feel like listening to the Senate, what's to stop them? I do not believe the Star Army is duty-bound to give a damn what we say here. They do have all the guns."

Kazuhiko said:
To: Taisho Ketsurui Yui, Mistress of the Star Army
RE: Vote change

Taisho,

I am confused, Taisho. Is that an order?

shosho_x5_tiny.gif

Shôshô Kazuhiko Minari

Yui said:
STAR ARMY COMMAND
HEADQUARTERS, KYOTO, YAMATAI

Use your best judgement. Oh wait, you are apparently lacking in that area!

I shouldn't have to make it an order. If you had any sense of logic, you wouldn't be supporting a senate bill that directly interfere with proper functioning of the military!

You're demoted to Taisa. I can't have admirals that are going to let the senate molest the Star Army like this.

Signed,

Ketsurui Yui
Mistress of the Star Army

Kazuhiko was surprised at the speed of the response. She had always heard Yui had some kind of omni-connection to PANTHEON. Looking around the Senate chamber, she smiled a little. Yomitomo would expect me to be a good soldier, but that is only because she knows nothing else. What would benefit Taiie more -- maintaining my military rank, or standing up for the constituents?

She looked down at her rank pin. The blue petals shined in the light. It had really been a surprise she got it at all.

She'd never wanted to be Shôshô anyway. She took the rank pin off and left it off. I am sure Taiie will want me for a military advisor of one sort or another. At least then I would be able to command troops instead of sit in a cold, nearly empty room with politicians. The 5th is headed for the abyss regardless. Taiie needs a Senator, not a Star Army admiral. Besides, they might give me a diplomatic vessel.

Kazuhiko said:
To: Taisho Ketsurui Yui, Mistress of the Star Army
RE: Vote change

Taisho,

1. I resign my commission without protest.

2. As Taiie has no official Senator at the moment, I will change its vote to "abstain" until I have confirmation from Taiie's colonial government that I am still fit to be their representative. If confirmation is obtained, I will return, but the vote shall remain an abstention.

Kazuhiko Minari

She looked up from the small screen in front of her desk. A small sigh wafted out from her mouth; she hoped Taiie would let someone else be a Senator.

"Taiie changes its vote to abstain for the duration of this proposal's debate. Excuse me, Senators." Kazuhiko bowed slightly and left to find some clothes and a hyperspace communicator.

Hoshi no Iori's senator said:
Yui: "Here's two muffins."

Kazuhiko: "Waaaaah! I want THREE muffins."

Yui: "Two is better than nothing."

Kazuhiko: "No, ONLY three! I'll starve instead!"

"Two may be better then nothing, but three are better then two, and five are better then three, and ten are better then five." The Lorath senator stated quite clearly in response to the Hoshi no Iori's representative. He noticed the Taiie substatute leave, but payed it little mind.

"Restriction by species is inherently bigoted and it is also very childish. Taisho Yui, despite being the head of the military cannot restrict the entire standing army to just Nekovalkyrja and Yamatians."

He sat back down at his desk and motioned for his servent to fetch him a drink, he was getting slightly parched. "I'm not too sure if everyone knows, but the forces that attacked my homeworld were not just the SMX, but Nekovalkyrja. Floating in a massive cloud of debris, are bits and pieces of Mindy powered armor suits, aswell as several destroied Star Army classed vessals."

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, he then exhaled and opened his eyes as his servent returned with a glass of water. "With all due respects Senator. I'd much rather the forces that defend this empire not be solely of the same race that nearly wiped mine out."

"That's an outright lie, you Lorath scum," the senator from Hoshi no Iori pointed out. "Restriction by species is important to the military. For example, if our soldiers are humans, a biological warfare attack could much more easily kill entire units...with upgrades freely available, there's no excuse for not using them. That's like a soldier refusing to wear a space suit and expecting to fight alongside fellow troops in a ship with hull breaches."

The Lorath Senator let the insult slide. "You're pretty hot blooded for being a politician." He replied to her outburst. The military makeup is also not that simple. Normal humans, or Nelpeslians make up less then one percent of the actual military personnel density."

He paused as he though for a second. "Oh, and it would make your side of the argument look better if you didn't act like a child who was denied their candy when people vote against you." He stated, clearly in regards to her actions. "That encludes insulting other senators and treating others of your race like idiots. Not everyone, even other Nekovalkyrja, act and think like you."

Eyce Tee came in late and without an enormous amount of enthusiasm. Almost all of the people under his jurisdiction were Nekovalkyrja anyway.

"Perhaps senator the law would be more acceptable if people could have assurance that if they upgraded to Nekovalkyrja they would be able to retain their basic cosmetic features - preferably their sex and their looks? Do the cat ears really add to a Nekovalkyrja's performance?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back