• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Rejected Submission [Advancer] Advancer Contraceptive Implant

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I can write in that the implant contains a receiver that hooks into the user's CNS and can receive nerve impulses. Is that good enough?

Read over this for purposes of FM approval, and before all that, I gotta say(not as NTSE but as a site member) there are a few things that look weird to me with this. I'm not gonna claim to be an expert on the sciences involved in the reproductive system, but I would think this can't work 'instantly'. I mean it can activate, but wouldn't you need time for the hormones to do their job, and turn 'off' the reproductive functions of the body. Also I'm pretty sure constant use of this would effect the menstrual cycle, because it's not preventing conception but rather preventing eggs from coming out in the first place(again, not an expert though so I could be wrong.) Also there's no mention of how these extra hormones are being flushed out of your system and any protections against formed dependencies or permanent effects after frequent use.

What I'm trying to say is as a GM I wouldn't use this cause the information doesn't seem complete or like it'd work the way it's explained.

As for if it works with Abwehrans...I gotta say no, even if it did work, Abwehrans would likely have a strong distaste for it as it would really interfere with their empathy on both ends. So as the FM, I'd like it if at most this was listed as "Medically unadvised for interfering with hormonal balance and is likely to damage bio chemistry."

Technically, its pretty clear you didn't read the article fully- I point out that it takes a month after activation/deactivation for the hormonal and chemical changes to go into affect. I also did write that it has some effect on the menstrual cycle, because another use of contraceptive implants nad birth control, even in our modern times, is as a way to moderate the affects of women who have particularly bad or uncomfortable monthly flows.

The other arguements about the Abwehrans, though, fits.

The chemical suppresses testicular testosterone production in male recipients, with the maximum effect reached a month after the implant is activated

Blocking testosterone completely causes your testicles to atrophy and eventually no longer work in most cases. This would be akin to birth control by scissors. Not to mention the negative effects of having no replacement hormones if you're not going on estrogen for hormone replacement therapy. No energy, no sex drive, ED, etc. If it just stops sperm production, then that'd make more sense.

Blocking testosterone completely causes your testicles to atrophy and eventually no longer work in most cases. This would be akin to birth control by scissors. Not to mention the negative effects of having no replacement hormones if you're not going on estrogen for hormone replacement therapy. No energy, no sex drive, ED, etc. If it just stops sperm production, then that'd make more sense.

Let me look up the real life chemical - "The medication has been found to profoundly and rapidly reversibly suppress testicular testosterone production in men when taken by mouth once per day for a month.The circulating levels of testosterone achieved with oral DMAU were equivalent to those seen on average with surgical castration (13.4 ng/dL for DMAU, 15 ng/dL for castration). Following discontinuation of DMAU, testosterone levels began to recover within days and reached normal levels within a month.'

It appears that the chemical doesn't cause a chemical castration, because it binds to the same receptors that testosterone binds to while still preventing sperm production.

That's good it's reversable then. Interesting that it claims they reduced free testosterone without the negativity of no testosterone. I'm skeptical since the trial was only a month, but would be cool if it works! As someone whose done HRT, low hormones aren't fun > .>

" the actual contraceptive effects of DMAU in men have not yet been clinically assessed"

"However, Ferlin, who was not involved in the study, noted that "we also need sperm count to go down too. Sperm count has to go way down for there to be complete contraception. The longer-term study should provide us with the answer for this important question.""

^ Snuck at the bottom of the articles that the important part isn't studied yet lol. Oh well, this is a sci-fi setting, the theory is there at least

I missed the line on males, but I'm looking right at the females section and it straight up says
Once implanted and activated, the effects of the implant are immediate, though it will not interfere with the menstrual cycle.

And as people mentioned which I mentioned and you seemed to ignore. The problem here is that there is risk that are just not addressed, when you're dealing with hormones there is always the risk of things like chemical dependency, and your brain responding weirdly to an abnormal influx of hormones. But you're not addressing it in the article on that it happens or how your implant prevents it. That's why I as a player and former GM say this article isn't really complete, it's like saying a gun that shoots regular bullets will 'never miss fire' but not explaining why.

Lol its scifi is not a valid excuse for reasoning in the setting at this time. I, myself, was a corpsman of 7+ years, gunhand is a student in the medical field, and syaoran is no dummy. I agree with syaorans stance on this but wont enforce any hard-logic with those things said. Some changes to the text on how the implant works are necessary to avoid cutting off the flow to estrogen and testosterone and generally hormones to the body from an implant that immediately cuts the flow.

Even something as simple as mimicking what a vasectomy or getting ones tubes tied. I will also note that we are waiting on @Legix to decide the fate of this article seeing as it is marketed solely to nepleslia in the submission entry.

I echo the lads. Syaoran is right that it is a little too clean and narrow, whilst I don't understand why they would bother. Most Nepleslians don't have unsafe sex given the age of birth control is so insanely effective to the point it'd never factually fail in this age. I just don't entirely understand what the need for this item is.

But if the NTSE say it's fine, ping me again and I'll be up for it. I'm just not really sure why this item is needed for basic roleplay.

How about this? Contraceptive implants like this are added to the lit of common tech that's so ubiquitous it doesn't need its own wiki page because they're so common and there's so many manufacturers?

That works for me too. I mean, nobody needs an article for something that's everywhere like cybernetic eyes or arms.

If that is the case im keen to move this submission to rejected/abandoned unless @Firebrand would like to continue the submission but alter it to add to such a page of common-use items/technologies to describe what such an item would do to avoid losing any of his progress he has made in making this article.

@Wes do we have such a page? I know ive seen you talking about it but havent actually seen one of common-anything pages this could be added to if continued?

I think that we don't really need an in depth write up, with Contraceptive Implants being a common technology and all. Then you run into everyone super defensive about their own pet species and whether or not contraceptives work on them.

Since I wasn't needed here and it resolved into its logical conclusion, let's get the NTSE to shut this down. Let people use contraceptives of whatever form they want, as a scifi setting rightly would.

Shutdown/Rejected as per Faction Manager Request @Legix

RPG-D RPGfix
Back