Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

New Submission [Advancer] Advancer Contraceptive Implant

Firebrand

Should get this out of the way first, with the compatible species.

@Arbitrated is my writing that the Implant should work with all Elysian sub-species without problem something that passes muster?

@Soresu the same question as for Arbitrated but for Iromakuanhe.

@Legix And for Nepleslians and ID-SOLs?

@Wes And for Elves?

Ametheliana

Sensei
Staff Member
Submissions Reviewer
FM of Nepleslia
FM of the Iromakuanhe
Game Master
Because of the quasi-organic-ness of this, yes for Iromakuanhe, though some Iromakuanhe will have symbiotes that could filter these out. Those Iromakuanhe are rare enough to not need to mention it in your article as the symbiote user/player would already be aware if they wanted ther symbiote to work or not.

Arbitrated

The Smollest Smol
FM of Elysia
Did a bit o' thinkin' on this.

Would this work on Elysians? Yes, other prosthetics and implants work on Elysians. Would it not have problems?
...No. The regenerative effect Elysian bodies have naturally would aggressively fight the implant. While some features such as the "biologically neutral outer casing" help reduce the effect of this, it'd still end up causing irritation and, eventually, a loss of function (probably after a few months at most) in the implant.

This is a cool idea for sure, I like its addition. I gotta ask - how would it handle say, a Mishhuvurthyar interaction? Those were said to be able to bypass Neko pregnancy control, iirc.

Firebrand

Well, the implant doesn't affect things like parasites or infections. All it does, for women, is release a hormone that stops egg production (like modern contraceptive implants); for men it releases an anabolic steroid that cuts sperm production. Still, if it doesn't work on Elysians, there goes my main line of selling it to the SAOY, of something they could stick in their non Neko, non synthetic races to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Arbitrated

The Smollest Smol
FM of Elysia
I mean... While Elysians are more common in the SAoY than other non-synthetics, they're not exactly a "market dominance" degree of common-ness. As I've deducted from the information I've seen, Elysians still make less than 1% of the military force in Yam. Trying to target 1% of the population, even if it's billions on billions on billions of people, isn't typically the best of ideas.

There's still plenty of other places to sell this thoug, in and outside of Yamatai. Nepleslia is the obvious choice, but the NDC I could see being able to use these often if they wanted. Large companies like Origin might want these for their workers depending on position. If the Neshaten weren't 500% isolationist, they might consider these...

Actually, idea @club24 - Kingdom Fall force-implants these into Daur they don't like. If they can stop people from finding out how to disable the implant, they could effectively starve the impure population out, Half Life 2-style.

club24

Everything Is Magical
FM of Neshaten
Game Master
you're not wrong, it would just take several hundred years on account of nesh lifespans. While it wouldn't be sold in Neshaten you're free to include them on the list if you wish orm netion that the terrorist organisations would have access on account of them acting outside the kingdom now and then

Soresu

FM of the Iromakuanhe
Pretty much what Ame said in relation to Iroma, Fire. For the Iroma it'd also have to be custom tailored to their specific genome to lower rejection chances especially if they have symbiotics.

Firebrand

I don't think it'd work on Neshaten- they're too distinct from humans to the point where we can't even tell if they use hormones to regulate their cycle, and if their hormones are similar to the ones more human species use. Its the same reason I figured that this wouldn't work on Separa'shan (They lay eggs and their young are just snakes) and Lorath (They also lay eggs).

How about this, @Arbitrated : "The Elysian version of the implant is roughly double the base cost and includes a week long waiting period before implantation, as the recipient's DNA is used to grow the biological portions of the implant to prevent rejection"

and, @Soresu : "The Iromakuanhe version of the implant is modified slightly to account for the morphological differences between more human members of the clade and Iromakuanhe."

Arbitrated

The Smollest Smol
FM of Elysia
Hmmm.... I like it! It fits pretty well with the biotech theme of Elysia (using their DNA in the implant itself), and since it's not really a "computer implant" (such as the SPINE system or the Geist) it doesn't have any other major conflicts.

I approve! ^v^