Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

ADVERTISMENT CONTEST

Alright, so here's the deal: Star Army is currently going through the summer slump that all online RPGs go through every year. There are too few RP posts each day and several of the plots have died. Since the 4chan ads have ceased, the influx of new players has slowed to nothingness. The players who stuck around are excellent, but I feel it's time to expand this circle of friends, or at least make up for the roleplayers lost over the inevitable real-life schedule conflicts and such. We're doing well, but I think we could do better.

What we need is some new players. I'm going to be shelling out some serious cash for advertising, but it's not going to work if the forums aren't active and inviting. So, what I need is for everyone to be on their game, keeping their plots running strong. Take pride in your plot ship!

As part of my strategy, I not only intend to advertise on the web, but also in person and through flyers. That's where you come in. Show off your skills, creativity, and advertising sense by coming up with a page-size advertisement for the Star Army RP. It needs to be eye-catching, easily readable, and informative. You can use any of the artwork on the site for the poster, or your own. Upload the poster to starchan and post it in this thread. You can submit as many as you want.

Saturday, July 15th, will be the deadline for these posters (as far as the contest is concerned). At that point, I'll make a poll topic and we'll vote on which one we think will bring in the most quality roleplayers.

Once we have chosen the winner(s), I'm going to make hundreds (thousands?) of copies and distribute it at various science fiction, anime, and gaming conventions in my area (depending on which I can get to). I'd ask other Star Army members to do the same for their areas. Remember, these will probably be black and white copies, so keep that in mind when designing the poster.

Please respond to this topic. Let's discuss what would be ideal information to put on the ads--For starters, they'll need the StarArmy.com URL and a little copyright notice in the corner, and preferably at least one picture.

That is pretty much perfect. I made about 200 copies of it to distribute (along with the winning flier from this contest) at FantaSci, a local convention at my library, that is going on at the end of the month.

Only three days left!

Prize ideas:
USB Memory Stick (aka "Thumbdrive")
Cash (via PayPal or Postal Money Order)
Paid Art Commission
Star Army shirt, sweater, or T-shirt

Prize value will probably be about $30 either way.

I was bored in class again, so decided to take the Yangfan approach and make something up in MSWord.

Preview
.doc

Not much going on; very simple. The preview is just a print preview, so it's distorted. The quote is, of course, the first verse of the Anthem of Yamatai.

Alright, so basically we have two entries, Yangfan's series and Raz's flyer.

As for me, I prefer Raz's because it is more informative and eye-catching. No offense, but the ones on word documents tend to look like a white version of those motivational posters.

Would anyone mind if I pushed back the deadline?

I'll be busy with the Himiko, so I won't be joining this. I would lean on Raz's work as well, as he seems to have invested a lot of effort in this - enough so that I'm not positive I could do all that better anyways.

Yeah, I meant to have a submission too, but Raz's flyer was basically an exact image of what I had originally planned (which is friggin' awesome!) and I'm really struggling to come up with anything better.

Poll's up! Vote for the winner!

I would vote for the first two ... but I can only vote for one. Boo hiss! I think Raz's is just a tad too busy, while Yangfan's might just not be busy enough. But that's saying little because they both kick ass.

Wes said:
Here's an example. It's a bit small and dark for black and white copies, though.

1151945176008.png

The wording on that picture sounds a lot like the narrator in starship troopers.

Raz wins!

What prize did you prefer, Raz?

Ah, well, I don't want to have to put you through the trouble of mailing anything to me (didn't do this for the prize anyway), so the paid art commission should be just fine. Exemplary in fact.

Any preferred artist?

Wes said:
Any preferred artist?

Well, there are 10 "slots" left in Lexxy's second batch of Star Army commissions, and I love her work. If it's not a problem, simply throw my character into slot 11. This seems like the easiest thing to me.

raz said:
Wes said:
Any preferred artist?

Well, there are 10 "slots" left in Lexxy's second batch of Star Army commissions, and I love her work. If it's not a problem, simply throw my character into slot 11. This seems like the easiest thing to me.
I'd be glad to! Thanks again for the ad. I've made almost a thousand copies of it so far.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back