• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission Aether Sidearm

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
In general we’re just trying to communicate the right idea. If the general user of this gun fires, what happens? It’s easily beyond a human’s threshold, gotta be at least a Neko or Mil-Minkan. I don’t believe the recoil is either too high or too low, but rather we want an idea communicated.
The idea is:
If you fire this gun with out properly bracing, it’s not going to just leave a bruise, it’ll either break your wrist or bruise the bones around the butt of the stock(Also referred to as a contusion. It’s like a bunch of tiny little breaks from flexing the bone which causes internal bleeding.). However, if you fire this weapon while it is handled safely and properly braced repeatedly, it will basically do the same thing anyway! And that’s for a Neko.

The question is, how do I communicate all of that into a brief statement?

"Unsafe for use when unarmored. Unarmored use will likely cause mild to severe damage to an unarmored user's wrists, shoulder, and arms."

The intro paragraph also states, "... secondary weapon while also supporting usage by unarmored users." If it is unsafe for unarmored, it wouldn't be passed off by a respectable military as usable by them.

Firebrand's text might work. And Ame you have to remember this isn't actually a weapon "for unarmored use" it's A PA weapon, that happens to work unarmored. The reason it hurts the user is just a necessity though so that it's not 'free' to cross the damage class line. Otherwise we'd have people just making a bunch of PA tier weapons for infantry with no problem.

All of you make great points and Fire, you’ve put it succinctly, old boy! I’ve reworded the opening text and recoil in discharge information.

can you put a not under ROF like "when not paired with a power armor it becomes semi-automatic"? (I know it's mentioned in other places in the article, but it's so that it can easily be found when someone is skimming to see if they're interested)

In order to keep a clean appearance I’ve added semi-auto to the fire rate with a footnote to the unpaired restriction. Will this work?

EDIT: additionally the stock is no longer in attachment, I remembered the Kalamari and endowed my creation with a mighty, shapely, internally collapsible stock. Now it can be used like an uzi! I will have to change up the art a little bit when I get home.

Last edited:
If you already have art for this, I would like to see the art before approving it, since technically art does have to be looked over for approval (not super high scrutiny but yeah) I'll also have to do a run for grammar and spelling since it seems like now it's not really going to change the wording much.

Okay this is mostly done, just can you put an 'effective' range on the weapon. I know the format doesn't have one. But I went through looking at Yam weapons for PAs, and it's hard to tell the range they're meant to be used at, but we all know people aren't firing from 100km away, especially in atmo.

I really wanted to avoid that. I have no idea what a reasonable effective range would be. I'd need advision and would probably differ to anyone else's expertise.

In atmosphere I would say it's 'effective' range, sine it's not a sniping weapon, would be a kilometer of less. And in space maybe 10 to 15 times that?

Okay I'm gonna go ahead and APPROVE this now.

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Make sure to post this on the appropriate pages

This doesn't have any backlinks to any type of SAoY, YE 41, or countless other pages it should be plastered all over. Can you make sure that many pages have this so that GMs and players like me actually know that this exists @Rizzo?

@Syaoran I guess a post approval checklist would work for this, too, so I am going to drop one, but you did ask Rizzo to do what I am asking in your last post here, so you were looking out back then, even.

Thanks again for submitting an article to the wiki! Time for some final steps for the reviewer...

[~] 1. State clearly that the article is approved in the submission thread
[~] 2. Move the wiki article to its permanent (destination) location on the wiki
[~] 3. Move the submission thread to the Approved Submissions subforum or get a moderator to
[~] 4. Edit the article to add a link to the approval thread in the OOC Notes section
[ ] 5. Remind the submitter to link to the newly-approved page wherever it makes sense to do so.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back