• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Alex's proposed DRv3 update, v3.1

Alex Hart

FM of NDC
🎖️ Game Master
So I've looked at a bunch of the community's feedback on all the DRv3 stuff going around right now, and I've decided to compile what seems like the best additions or restorations to DRv3 to make DRv3.1

1. Bring back the 8 on tier rule with a slight twist.
    Small (in universe) factions are allowed 8 on tier, medium sized (in universe) factions are allowed 9 on tier, and large factions (in universe) are allowed 10. This allows for some variation to allow factions such as Nepleslia and Yamatai to maintain their superiority when it comes to weapons. Point defense weapons (tier 7 or lower) cost half their normal amount (meaning that you can have twice as many of them as you would normally)

2. Adding some basic rules for missiles.
    Rule 1, a missile weapon costs one on tier weapon slot if its maximum payload is on tier, for ever tier downwards the maximum payload you go, you can double the number of missile tubes while still costing one on tier point. All missile weapons have to have a reload time per tube.

3. Armor;
    An armor classification system shall be created, dividing armor materials into unarmored, light, medium and heavy catagories. Armors can benefit or detract from speed, meaning that there's consequences to armoring your craft as well as benifits

Unarmored craft take damage as if said damage was two tiers higher. Unarmored craft gain a +.05c speed bonus with a maximum of .425c STL
    Light armor takes damage as if the damage was either one tier higher or on the level of the attack (up to the GM). Lightly armored craft gain a +.025c speed bonus with a maximum speed of .4c STL
    Medium armor takes damage as normal. It gains no speed bonuses and has a maximum speed of .375c STL
    Heavy armor takes damage as if the incoming attack was one tier lower than it actually is. It loses .10c STL speed and has a maximum speed of .35c STL.

4. Weapon damage. Damage will now be measured in how much damage you do per second. It will now be up to GMs to determine what a single round does, but well, it'll be less than a lot of rounds do.

If you're so inclined, you can change your rounds for weapons to do less damage to account for this new system, you can determine their damage by taking the weapon's damage and subtracting anywhere from no tiers(for slow firing weapons) to 4 tiers( for really fast firing ones) to determine the single round damage.

Looks very good to me - but there's a couple of things I noticed:
  • What about point-defense weapons for T7-T9 units? Would those be weapons rated at T4 or below?
  • I really hate to bring this up, but how would missiles work with this? Would it be something similar to what you proposed here?

1a: How did you arrive at 8-10 on Tier? Are these numbers the best choices for this and if so why? I would suggest starting the scale at 12 rather than 8, as it seems a lot of the legacy ships like the Plumeria, Sharie, and Primus have their Tier-total closer to 12 on tier rather than 8. I don't have the math written down anymore but from what I remember the Sharie and Primus were close to 11-point-something.

1b: How do you determine small / medium / large size factions?

1c: wouldn't it be better to break this up by tech level rather than by size? We already have speeds broken up by tech level so it would fit with what we already have. Also, for simplicity's sake, I don't think it is necessary to break this up in this way.

2: This models old style missile launchers and maybe the lightweight rotary kind you might see on spaceships but what about VLS style systems?

4: DRv3 was created with the intent of fixing the opposite problem. Under DRv2 the only measure was damage over time which left us a gap in 'how much damage does this one shot do?'. DRv3 of course flips that problem, letting us know how much damage one shot does but at the same time completely ruining slow firing weapons by rating them the same as machine guns. Moreover, DRv3 also penalizes battery-fire weapons like VLS tubes or quad-cannon AA pieces by having to count each thing multiple times rather than just counting the damage over time for the whole setup.

How do we solve this problem? I don't think you can without making major changes to the whole setup. The easiest way would be to rework how damage tiers function: Consider some rate of fire as the 'baseline' and then have a way to increase or decrease the effective weapon tier based on rate of fire. Note that this also solves the VLS problem.

How about we wait for other people to respond before we respond to someone with a track record for harassing anyone trying to improve the DR system and who doesn't seem to care what the community wants, but only what they want?

I don't have as much glowing praise for this as Frost seems to have,

The first point of frustration for me is the name itself. Damage Rating is damage rating. What you're broaching is a ship building guideline regarding weaponry for the NTSE. Seriously: you're just perpetuating an error in perception I've gone to great lengths to dispel.

If find the motivation for the varying weapon allotment misguided: using tech level for motivation on what you can have and not have has always proven disastrous in the NTSE arena for species that started small but were eager to swiftly advance to be included in the broader setting metaplots (the Mishhuvurthyar war being one such and the Kuvexian war the latest example). Seeing those pushing for more as the source of the problem has never proven to be a sufficient deterrent and has always just soured things.

I don't relate to Zack's point of view regarding the fallibility of DRv3 on single-shots versus shots over time because he's very centered on a mechanical hit point perspective, whereas I'm centered on the people that will actually refer to that information and use it organically in the roleplay.

I do relate with the point of view that the solutions investigated so far haven't achieved a satisfactory result with ammunition-based weaponry, especially VLS tubes and other ammo-based weaponry that are swiftly expended like battery-fire but can be packed in large quantities. When the 8-same-tier-weapon idea was hatched (with the belief - one I still consider justified - that it was a sweet spot between the Plumeria, Eikan and Sharie-class warships; it seems like I calculated things rather differently that Frostjaeger just did), it was meant for weapons that could be depended on to be fired through an entire engagement... or at least a significant chunk of a battle.

That said, I'm not sure I can correctly picture Alex's #2 missile change.

I'm really not behind #3 either. Though this is not the only instance of people being blind to how armor materials where made to matter under DRv3 as qualities to supplement a narrative, rather than just to prop a number higher or lower. The tier was always meant to be married with the description. The Tier is like shorthand, but in essence it's just the bone supporting the flesh and muscle that the actual description conveys.

Finally, #4 just... well... misses the point by a mile. By this point, you're not making a ship building guide, and you're not making a variant of DRv3. You're actually making a new Damage Rating system for what I perceive to be for the opposite of a driving reason for DRv3 to exist: abolishing hitpoints.

This thread was created less to serve as an actual update set in stone and more for me to see how everyone reacted to seeing all the things I've seen suggested by the community addressed in one place. If you think there are better ways to address them feel free, but the issues I've seen people having wanted addressed are as follows:

1. Bring back the weapon limits
  2. address missiles and add some rules for how they're handled
  3. Figure out how fire rate works, since fast firing weapons seem to be so good as to completely reduce the need for slow firing ones
  4. Make armor relevant again, to give people the option of making fights last a little longer.
Now @Fred, I will admit that this is a step in the direction of more rules which I'm not necessarily a huge fan of, but this is what the community seems to have wanted addressed. Admittedly all of these things can be handled by GMs, but people seem to want a consistent guideline for this stuff.

It feels to me like, and I could be completely wrong about this, that you want to avoid anyone changing the system you spent so much time on. Now I can respect the attachment to a project like DRv3 and a desire to preserve the version of it that you created, however it's not just used by you, and your word isn't the be all end all here, because this is for the community first and foremost.

I made this with the community in mind, based on what I've been informed that they want addressed.

Edit: To quote @Legix on the discord, "
It's like everyone on every side of this seems to forget the guidelines do not have a heavy hand over RP, but that people use it as a simple reference guide (as Wes' poll is quickly showing)

It's fine if people don't use it and it's fine if they do: the system exists to keep submissions in check so they don't go 50 yards off the rail and lead to explosive tech wars all over again that leave us with 40-50 articles per wave that never see use on SARP ever again"

This update isn't supposed to define how you RP, forcing you to do damage calculations during your RP. It's a guide to keep submissions having universal expectations, and to help give you an idea of what sort of damage gets done with any given attack.

Last edited:
At the insistence of several community members that I have immense respect for, I'll be taking this out of discussion. Personally, I'll be using this when I GM, but I won't try to push it on anyone else.

Last edited:
It wasn't my intent to have you give up. I took the time to write an honest critique because I cared enough to let you know. I don't mind a DRv4 happening, as long as it ends up being better. Though, seeing at you go, I don't think DRv4 is your actual objective so much as something else.

Now, there's a basis to what I did, and it's largely based on stuff that's experienced in real life. My intent was for DRv3 to actually back the description I've seen Game Masters give and to support being more cinematically evocative.

I've been told by people very well versed in firearms that rate-of-fire (again, in real life) is actually not something of value in the sense of "I'll fire lots of shots to cause tons of damage". Usually, having a high rate of fire equals a higher chance that one of the shots fired will connect with a target, or that with many shots connecting that one will prove to be a kill shot. It's more an exercise of putting probabilities on your side than actually causing more damage (though, yes, someone hit in the torso with 3 bullets is in deeper trouble than someone hit just once).

Another reason why rate-of-fire is not as significant as expected with damage is that it is rarely cumulative in a single salvo. Say you have an high-ROF heavy anti-personnel weapon like the LASR fire at a M6 Daisy power armor. You'll very rarely hit the same spot on your target, especially if it's in movement, if you're in movement, and if you're dealing with other things like dodging, being hit, recoil from launching your leg missile packs, etc... so, it'd be pretty reasonable for a GM to feel that if the shot would hit with good accuracy, they could go...

GM: "You hose your target with the LASR, and while your initial shots miss at the enemy armor dips and weave, you manage to track it and finally nail it with several shots going diagonally across its breastplate, leaving deep gouges in the armor. None of them actually breach it, though."​

That's a high rate-of-fire weapon at play here, in the most common outcomes it would have on being used successfully when not caught flatfooted.

Which then empowers the player to do other things.

Player: "Alright. I'll maintain fire and try to focus my shots where I've already damaged it on the left side of its breastplate. With any luck, I can breach through."​
GM: "Your target is already pretty leery of being in open space while barrierless, so it's too evasive for you to hit it with any precision."​
Player: "I'll make a show of reloading to bait it into thinking my guard is down. My barrier is still up; I can chance it."​
GM: "Nice idea. Your temporary pause has your enemy turn to risk a shot. Though your barrier is hit and depleted by a direct shot of its plasma rifle, your own shots chew over the already abused left side of your target's breastplate. You see the Daisy flinch and then abruptly slump - one of your rounds managed to punch through the already damaged armor and probably hit near the heart! Though you know the Daisy's hemosynth insert might be able, given time, save the life of its wearer."​

And then, an example of how cumulative damage from an high-ROF weapon would count.

Player: "I'm not letting it recover. I aim at its helmet and go full-automatic on it. Maybe I can get salvage without totalling it."​
GM: "You open fire, and by this point it's practically an execution. The torrent of rounds your LASR unleashes on the relatively motionless Daisy have no problem sawing the usually sturdy helmet open and putting to ruin everything inside. The M6 power armor is knocked on its back, gore messily spilling out from the ruptured helmet."​
So, basically, you're told what a single shot of the weapon does, and then you count on the best computer we have - the human brain - to do what rules can't: imagine the result and then describe it. DRv3 along with the weapon's description is just supposed to give you an idea, the rest is up to you, as GM, to handle (hence why I'm not alarmed by house ruling if that's what you feel you need).

That said, the second point of contention is ship building (and I consider fitting weapons of a ship to be a different matter to know how much a weapon hurts on a single shot). But even if high-ROF weapons appear to have an 'unfair advantage', consider the size difference between a single-shot pistol and a semi-automatic pistol. Or a machine gun and an hunting rifle. Is it really that much? No? Then why should we expect the same at greater
scale? Is a weapon that fires 5 rounds-per-second truly be five-times the mass-weight-value of a weapon that fires off just one?

It seems more art than science to me. Humans do art better than rules do. That's where I come from. That's why the 8-same-tier thingie came up. While testing things, I found proportional commonality across three high-profile ships in the most iconic faction of this setting; so I propped them up as 'the example to follow' because it seemed to make sense more of the time while some flexibility could be employed. I never expected it to be perfect, but I never expected it to be inflexible either.

Last edited:
Here's the thing now though, people are getting away with just blowing that out of the water all over the place. I was attempting to make the rules more flexible. However, it's not you who has mad me give up, but one or two complaining people on the discord who have shown me that people would much less rather listen to others than to themselves.

So I've looked at a bunch of the community's feedback on all the DRv3 stuff going around right now, and I've decided to compile what seems like the best additions or restorations to DRv3 to make DRv3.1

1. Bring back the 8 on tier rule with a slight twist.
    Small (in universe) factions are allowed 8 on tier, medium sized (in universe) factions are allowed 9 on tier, and large factions (in universe) are allowed 10. This allows for some variation to allow factions such as Nepleslia and Yamatai to maintain their superiority when it comes to weapons. Point defense weapons (tier 7 or lower) cost half their normal amount (meaning that you can have twice as many of them as you would normally)

2. Adding some basic rules for missiles.
    Rule 1, a missile weapon costs one on tier weapon slot if its maximum payload is on tier, for ever tier downwards the maximum payload you go, you can double the number of missile tubes while still costing one on tier point. All missile weapons have to have a reload time per tube.

3. Armor;
    An armor classification system shall be created, dividing armor materials into unarmored, light, medium and heavy catagories. Armors can benefit or detract from speed, meaning that there's consequences to armoring your craft as well as benifits

Unarmored craft take damage as if said damage was two tiers higher. Unarmored craft gain a +.05c speed bonus with a maximum of .425c STL
    Light armor takes damage as if the damage was either one tier higher or on the level of the attack (up to the GM). Lightly armored craft gain a +.025c speed bonus with a maximum speed of .4c STL
    Medium armor takes damage as normal. It gains no speed bonuses and has a maximum speed of .375c STL
    Heavy armor takes damage as if the incoming attack was one tier lower than it actually is. It loses .10c STL speed and has a maximum speed of .35c STL.

4. Weapon damage. Damage will now be measured in how much damage you do per second. It will now be up to GMs to determine what a single round does, but well, it'll be less than a lot of rounds do.

If you're so inclined, you can change your rounds for weapons to do less damage to account for this new system, you can determine their damage by taking the weapon's damage and subtracting anywhere from no tiers(for slow firing weapons) to 4 tiers( for really fast firing ones) to determine the single round damage.
1: We do not need this "rule" because it was never a rule. This was proven at the time to not work and never actually get applied because DRv3 was a guideline. Wes spoke against it and, even if I think the limit helped gauge where weapons landed, it didn't work. This is why it was removed. It's not a rule and it's not fixed in stone. It shouldn't be because it turns weapons into a numeric game and will encourage people to go back to maxing out their weapon loadouts.

If someone can't defend the amount of weapons on their vessel logically and in many ways, they shouldn't get X amount.

2: Why do we need rules for missiles? Missiles are just a weapon. Aside from this being a guideline, no weapon should be treated differently because of what it is. The type of payload does not change the weapon slot. That being said, it should be capped at its largest payload's tier. This means that if a rocket launcher can fire a T6, then it should be a T6 weapon. However (as a prime example from my upcoming SMASH micro-missile launcher), it shouldn't be treated only as a T6 weapon if it's being used exclusively for an X payload on something. A good example of this currently in RP is the fact that Curbstomper Torpedoes are scattered across the board into various tiered uses.

3: As I said in Discord, we do not need this. Period.

"But it promotes consistency!"

No. You know why it doesn't? Because DRv3 is a guideline. If people aren't following it/are choosing to be inconsistent, this change will not help solve that problem. This is a person-related problem that can be fixed by talking with that person for a staff-based discussion related to the setting itself. Adding the additional tier modifications onto what we already have is ridiculous because it adds more calculation. So any GM that does use DRv3 will start to use this as Old Testament and start arguing with anyone (such as myself) who does not use DRv3 as the be-all-end-all.

This addition, at best, will do nothing for the setting. It's smoke and mirrors. Worst case, however, it will promote arguing between GMs and possibly even between GMs and Players because it gives players more cards to go "but it's lightly armored so muh attack should do better".

And that's before mentioning that more emphasis on armor value will put a bigger emphasis on weapons and their tier ratings.

Yes, you heard me right: why, you ask?

Because when someone is considering that their target is a heavy target and they're using DRv3 as "rules" (which is apparently a mistake many newer members are having), then they'll start leaning toward a bigger weapon instead of one that might have been effective before this change.

DRv3 is something that should NEVER have any chance of modifying the outcome of RP. It's here to balance ships/streamline creation. More rules, more decisions, and more numerics will bring this closer to something that messes with RP.

4: No damage per second. This needs to be kept vague. Make it "damage per use" or "damage per action", as I suggested before. This stuff is kept vague because the idea is that weapons should be treated similar.

"But missiles and guns and stuff will lose value!"

No, they won't. People want to use a missile or a gun because the written picture and scenic portrayal. I'd hope that's the case, because if they're using it for stats then they're not my kind of people.

"But low rate of fire weapons and high rate won't be different!"

They never were. This must have been some sort of mentality that rate of fire was a problem because of Arieg. The problem I raised with his missile boats and everything is because he wanted to min-max damage via assigning damage values per missile and trying to turn it into a stat-based interpretation/hard ruleset. Rate of Fire has never been a problem to me as a player, GM, FM, or creator.

Now, all that aside.

I do not "hate" this change. I find it fundamentally flawed and have stated why multiple times. Being accused of being a hater "just to hate" is honestly one of the most disrespectful things that happened to me today. I've been told my "opinion" (which still has more experience than those who've been apparently in hard support to DRv3) isn't knowledgeable but the fact that I was agreeing with Zack on certain points, the fact that I was echoed by Rizzo that additional "rules" were bad, and with Fred that this is a step in the wrong direction.

The only reason I approved of DRv3 in its current state back when it was originally discussed is because it was always intended to be a guideline. All of these changes make it seem like a move to make it law. This is the fastest way to make members like myself lose interest in DRv3 when it worked perfectly fine before. This is adding things just to add it and does not really "help" but promises to do so. This is something that could be done simply by sitting down and better wording the document (such as my solution for #4) and ensuring people understand things like the fact that regardless of RoF or weapon type, all weapons should be treated equal if they're at the same tier.

If someone wants to make a high RoF weapon act like a shredder, then the valid solution is to speak with them and explain that it shouldn't be different effective-wise as one that's low RoF. This doesn't seem like it's hard to understand, but it is because we're here trying to make it super-clear that a weapon should be judged on damage per second which already seems wrong to me.

Every change here can be done by simply communicating with DRv3 offenders. We don't need to give in and throw more numbers (armor weighting being forced into more value) and specific rules for types of things.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back