Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Asura] Asura III Major Overhaul and Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest sticking to discussion about how to make the Asura III metaplot work rather than going back and forth tit-for-tat. As charming as this is to read it isn't helping anyone.

Well regardless, I do intend for this to be a major plot point for the GAO.

Speaking of which, I really do need to write those headlines.

I've glanced through this thread.

Azura III was supposed to be a playground for the TFL plot before I had to leave, and Kim had to leave shortly thereafter. We were working on a metaplot for it that would have eventually led into some cool stuff that she knew about the UOC, and the whereabouts of its former nobility.

It was going to be really cool, but we hadn't totally hashed out what we were going to do with it before life stole us away.

If you want, I can hit her up and get her ideas out of her, or I can just brief on where it was meant to go in the first place.

Semi-related: I was totally thinking about "What if" there was a Zero Dark Thirty style plot about finding Emperor Tio on Asura, lol.

Total idea rehash.

Alright I'm going to hit the reset button and start with this meta plot idea from scratch stating both intent and idea but let me begin with the way I saw things when I launched on this project. First I did not see Asura as either a significant nor grave site of Yamataian concern outside of the Tenth Fleet plot, heck Asura is what it is because I pushed for both its significant population as well as its level of intactness. It would have ended up as another write off when Yamatai 'evacuated' the area and glassed everything that was left. But anyways moving on....

The idea for this meta plot to begin with is establishing a chain of historical events from the Tenth Fleets arrival and pseudo annexation of the system, the resulting political and social turmiol, and of course the steady decline to where Asura is by YE 37. Which is nothing more then its district governments being left and even some of those effectively being gone leaving their areas of control in utter chaos and anarchy with the rest holding on to what semblence of law and order they have.

The backbone of the plot is the fact that Asurans don't want to be Yamataians at any cost, animosity having been established from them fleeing the empire in the first place with the founding of the UOC and that dislike only growing with the activites of the Empire during the rise of the UOC and its eventual fall. Some of this could be factual some of it could merely be a perversion of the truth being seen through rage red colored glasses. But in the end Yamatai's tenth fleet did cause the slip into their present state by chasing off the Lorath and leaving the system open to all manner of unsavory individuals due to the Tenth's policy toward the planet and star system at the time.

However they where left with a promise (which more or less became viewed as a treaty) to be left alone, for Yamataian not to project themselves on the surface or attempt to blockade the planet. We can assume this is a pseudo promise of independence in the same sence of whats going on between the People's Repulbic of China and the City-State of Hong Kong.

Now from this fertile seedbed of plot we have the rise of the Kongian Liberation Army, officially Pro-Yamataian Asurans, actually off world brigands and power hungry individuals being backed by a Yamataian cabal intent on seeing Asura firmly back in their hands. They can be sanctioned or simply be acting with their own authority covertly, but in the end they are providing assistance both in Non-SAOY manpower and equipment to a militant faction whom since YE-35 has been slowly taking over the surface of Asura one downtrodden district at a time. Imposing their own form of Yamataian laws and brutally enforcing them resulting in both brutal war crimes and increasing hatrid toward them resulting in something akin to an insurgency emerging in the northern territories they control. To add to the issue this force has granted Yamatai control over the former planetary capital of Osaka and the suburbs immediately surrounding it, this along with the steady creep of the KLA is the spark that will eventually result in the opposition forces.

Now the plot is aimed at the beginning of YE-38 and the first time the KLA has attempted to annex a district that is well off and with its own decently equipped and trained security force and will result in a fight that will eventually align the rest of Asura against the KLA and their backers with the assistance of various interested off world groups and this conflict will also represent the catalyst which brings the Asuran districts back together and on their feet toward reestalibing it as a united planet.

Now I'm not going to lie, I don't want this to end with Yamataian control of the planet but at the same time I don't want it to end with total indepednence. The goal for me is Asura to manage to bash and chew its way to a state of being a Semi-Independent territory. A special economic zone free of most Yamataian restrictions but still governed enough to be a functional faction in its own right with their own self defense force. I suppose you could say I want to turn them into SARP's Japan.

Anyways, carry on the discussion.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:53 AM - Wes: I've updated our site rules a bit: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=guide:rules
Dec 17, 2015 at 10:54 AM - Wes: Notable tweaks: Don't get into edit wars with mods, what images are okay to upload
Dec 17, 2015 at 10:58 AM - Moogle: What about theft of other user's work, hm?
Dec 17, 2015 at 10:58 AM - Wes: What do you mean?
Dec 17, 2015 at 10:59 AM - Moogle: I saw the revision history of the asura article.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:00 AM - Wes: Star Army users have the right to edit other stuff on Star Army. So if User A adds an article, User B can make changes. That's how wikis work.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:00 AM - Wes: These changes should be for the good of the article and based on what's happening in the RP, if applicable.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:01 AM - Moogle: True. But if it's an unsubmitted article and the user wants to scrap it, they should have the right to.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:02 AM - Wes: Ultimately content contriubuted to Star Army is for Star Army's use as a whole, not for any particular user, even the author.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:02 AM - Wes: Just because someone leaves in a rage doesn't mean we're going to remove their faction or whatever from the Star Army universe.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM - Wes: That would break our RP, potentially.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM - Wes: So our TOS is that once it's on here, it's Star Army's to use as we need.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM - Zack: is there an official policy on an active user requesting their stuff not be used by other users? Such as editing their wiki articles or color shifting someone's artwork?
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM - Wes: Not presently.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM - Moogle: I said unsubmitted work, wes. Not submitted and approved.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM - Wes: For purposes of TOS, submitted means it exists on the site. Someone uploaded it or saved it.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM - Moogle: :s
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:06 AM - Wes: There may be room for some more clear rules or policy on this. Something to discuss in a forum thread perhaps.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:07 AM - Wes: But basically there's no technical reason right now why people can't mess with the stuff you added to SARP and add their own stuff to it.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:07 AM - Wes: It's supposed to be collaborative. If people are disagreeing over the nature of an article, they should work it out on the forum.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:08 AM - Wes: When things can't be worked out, it falls to me to make the final call, since I'm the guy who controls what is canon.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:10 AM - Wes: That said, we should try to be generally respectful of other people's creations (at least as long as they're a member).
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:12 AM - Wes: Also you have to account for faction managers having a bigger say over anything happening in their area of influence.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:13 AM - Wes: For example if I add a new uniform to Nepleslia, I need FM approval.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:13 AM - Wes: Anyway, those are my thoughts on that.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:13 AM - Aendri: I think what Mog was referring to was editing an in-progress article without the author's consent should not be something that is allowed. Once it's complete, or if permission has been asked, sure, but if I have something up that I'm working on, I don't want someone else poking it just because it's up on the wiki, and therefor SA property.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:17 AM - FrostJaeger: XD
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:17 AM - Foxtrot 813: Wew lads
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:18 AM - FrostJaeger: Well, time to move all of my WIP articles over to my private JP pad
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM - Dragonnova: The take away is: Don't put incomplete or in progress things on the wiki. At all
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM - FrostJaeger: Yep.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM - Wes: It was a WIP for my faction, Aendri.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM - Aendri: It was a WIP, is the point, Wes. It wasn't submitted, up for approval, or anything.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM - Aendri: You have no idea if you would've liked the end product.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM - Dragonnova: You are wayyyyyyy too protective of 'your faction', wes. You're doing that thing again where you're acting less like a GM and more like a FM with a power trip
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM - Aendri: If you don't like how a submission looks when it goes up for approval, then speak up, but that random editing of other people's WIP articles just pushes people away from putting anything up until the second they submit it.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM - Zack: This is SOP for any site with user submitted content. legally you couldn't operate a site without this kind of setup... if you don't want people to touch your stuff when you're on a collaborative endevor then you're going to have a bad time.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM - Dragonnova: You're sidestepping the issue, Uso. Get off of wes lap for a second.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM - FrostJaeger: 1.481234843e10394/10 DN
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM - Wes: I don't appreciate you being disrespectful to Zack.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM - FrostJaeger: XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM - Aendri: It's about common courtesy, Zack. The user hadn't asked for input from anyone, the article hadn't been posted for approval, or anything. It was literally him putting down ideas at that point. If I can't THINK without it being interfered with, I don't want to take part.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM - FrostJaeger: oh gawd!
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM - FrostJaeger: IT'S THE THOUGHT POLICE!
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM - Dragonnova: And everyone doesn't appreciate his snark when they have a concern and are trying to present it calmly.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM - Aendri: Part of what makes this site great is that we CAN work on our own projects on the side without having to worry about them mysteriously changing. If we can't develop our own articles for submission freely, then why should we bother?
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM - FrostJaeger: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:26 AM - Dragonnova sighs.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:26 AM - Dragonnova: I don't think I can contribute to this without hanging a lampshade on your attitude towards your players wes. I'll bow out here.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:26 AM - Wes: Maybe one issue is that sandboxes are currently not really even allowed and certainly not considered protected spaces.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:26 AM - Zack: Then mark it as such on the wiki page, you options for resolving this problem that don't involve breaking the site's wiki. You also have a setting discussion forum and a GM forum (maybe) to get on the same page with your FM
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM - Aendri: It WAS marked as a WIP.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM - Aendri: And WAS being discussed as part of a setup for a plot.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:28 AM - Zack: WIP not 'please no one touch this without asking' WIP is the standard, no one touch would be a special exception you're asking for.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:28 AM - Zack: Make it clear what your wishes are, and how you want people to interact with you.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:28 AM - Aendri: And either one of those was violated, since nobody was asked. Thanks for trying, though.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:28 AM - FrostJaeger: XD
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM - Foxtrot 813: I didn't know you also had to put up a plaque saying people not to touch a painting you're working on.

I just saw this in the morning today and honestly I'm somewhat surprised that this is the way its going to be, I understand things got to a rough start do to a lack of informing but to handle it this way? To effectively legalize what would have been considered wiki vandalism if anyone else had done it? This more or less means the skype discussion was a waste of time or including a concept you didn't seem to understand. This rule change allowing unauthorized edits before even approval shits in the face of the content creators on the site. I can understand some formatting adjustments or spell correction but the nature of what your suggesting is effectively theft even if its intended for your faction in the long run.

I'm sorry to say this after putting effort into this project and attempting to turn it into something great but I'm afraid I can't proceed, not if this is your attitude toward setting creation and people's projects as a whole. I can understand your concern about your faction portrayal but this is getting to the point of idiocy, your grasping Yamatai and its related setting elements, even those that have yet to the light of canon so tightly your strangling it. Theres no flexibility with you, there no compromise for the good of the story, and with that rule change I'm afraid I can't carry on. As of this post all assets I've worked up for Asura are to be committed to other projects and any involvement with Yamatai in the alternate to this one are going to be to implausible to work so I'm afraid your factions out of the loop. Its unfortunate I'm going to have to abandon Asura to its fate but at this point I can't see a work around or trust that canon efforts won't be altered in a manner that is beyond belief.

That log was from like last week bro. No clue when your skype conversation took place.

Look, I'm not surprised here. Arieg you create so many concepts for the site and they almost always get scrapped because either we figured out nobody had a use for them/wanted them or because you're unwilling to work with other people. In this case you were setting up a plot that, apparently, nobody wanted to GM.

I'm actually kind of glad you're bailing on this, because I think it's been very stressful for both of us and it'll be nice not worrying about it anymore.

Update: I've started remaking the (canonical) Asura III planet page to replace the concept one that Arieg deleted. This new version is based only on stuff that occurred in canon RP.

Doing this allows us to work without interfering with each other's edits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back