Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Asura] Asura III Major Overhaul and Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wes you're really missing the big issue here. The problem isn't about the numbers. It's about the RP itself. The RP idea that Arieg had, can't work with this giant base here. You say "80 thousand is small" But it's more than enough to stamp out any form or uprising before it gets started. And Yamatai is not known for being 'passive'. Look at their security network that essentially nullifies the possibility of Piracy. A Yamatai presence that big essentially means that nothing shady can be done. You claim you're doing this cause it was Yamatai's second biggest population, but you had the article saying it was Yamatai's even last year. But you put no base there. You're essentially worried something will go wrong and the planet will be over run. But you're totally over reacting. Arieg suggested a Yamatai presence to be there likely because he had no intentions of overrunning the planet. There is no need OOCly speaking to put this base there. No one wants to conquer it or over throw it, and honestly if someone tried Yamatai could get a fleet there in probably an hour.

You want the setting to grow, and SARP to gain and retain it's players, then slack the leash a little. Let people have -room- to grow the setting. Let people do some things -they- consider fun and not have to do things by your way or the highway and then we will have a growing setting and a population that increases.

It's my planet. I'll put a base there if I want. I already made an IC news post for it, even! Look, I'm willing to work with you and let your plot idea happen, but this is the only kind of base I think Yamatai would put on the planet.

Its your factions planet and a valuable and interesting tool for GMs to use to create fascinating and attractive plots and you can put a base there as long as you've established the roleplay and submitted the setting article for review for it to be established and talked to anyone who may be involved with working on that particular world. You did none of the above aside from a simple news post, however I'm willing to work with you and not throw away several dozen hours worth of work in taking a bare bones planet article and changing it into something great simply because you chose to plop a poorly detailed setting element in the middle of it.

Now first of all I'm willing to allow the fort to happen but only if its integrated into the metaplot of what will be happening on Asura over the coming year, its not something I want to appear on the surface overnight by some handwave or simply because Yamatai feels like expressing its superior power over those it sees as lesser. There needs to be strategic and political reasons to increase their presence from a merely guarding the senator (as agreed with the other two nations in the historical bits once I finish them up) to the deployment of a significant and threatening installation.

Additionally I will be writing Fort Asura's article and the tech associated with it, if I have to setup a new Yamataian surface installation type so be it but I'm not going to allow simple articles for something that may become very central to both the meta plot of the area and any GMs that may wander in.

I'm with Arieg here, this whole idea to revamp Asura came up when we got to discussing scenarios for my future JTF plot to be involved in, whether it was proxy ground wars or peacekeeping efforts in a fractured powder keg. The nearby space here is actually even my antagonist Mitsuya Satoru's homebase, and now GAO hotspot, -- all this ICly derives from the meta plot of the planet being only very tenously in the grip of the YSE, and many former UOC Jiyuuians not willing to go along with its dictates to give cover to these subversive elements and the idea of rival nations & militias.

So, as someone with a fair bit of skin in this game, I too think that suddenly placing this massive base there in the control zone is going too hard and fast with things. The news article announcing intent is fine, but as mentioned before why not give Arieg the license to at least construct the base in such a way as is more fitting his idea, or keep it "under construction" status for awhile to then allow for plot-building events/ random incidents among the people where the unfinished base is picketed by protesters or even sabotaged or defaced in some way. This brings the situation alive and shows why its really important!

I've changed it so the base was under construction, and started making a series of RP posts talking about how far along is is (right now, it's just a construction area undergoing logging and dirt moving). There are Star Army troops there, but they're just keeping my base safe, they're not meant to interfere with your plot idea.

I think there may be an issue of trust from you there that you felt you needed this at all. It feels like it's about "those scheming PLAYERS of mine are gonna take mah planet from me? Not on my watch. >:( "

I was very patient about Asura back when Gallant was running things in that area, and held off on Yamatai putting its feet planetside for his sake. So now that he disappeared and is no longer running a plot there, I kind of see this as my window to do that. With ideas of a plot there starting to form, I knew it was either I had to act now, or be stuck unrealistically holding Yamatai back once more. I know Asura's won't become mainstream Yamatai overnight, but I needed to at least make some progress on the matter while I had the chance.

Considering there was no communication sent to me and I never gave permission for Asura to be updated in the first place, I've been very flexible and patient with Arieg about this, and the intent of the base was actually to help with writing the planet page. I know it was bigger than some people expected, but that's how Yamatai's main planetary bases usually are, and this is not in a particularly welcoming area so being well-defended is a must. Anyway, I'm still not entirely clear on what Arieg's plans are.

To me, this seems like an RP opportunity for Star Army RP groups, who are working to restore the planetary government and undermine the influence of corporations. Yamatai doesn't want to "invade" the planet by force, so it needs to work through diplomacy and subterfuge. I could see SOFTs or SPPs sneaking out of the base to arrange for corrupt officials on corporate payrolls to have "accidents" and Yamatai might even have secret bounty hunts going on, too, which would let the indie people in on the action. Meanwhile the factions of Asura can fight it out and Yamatai and the GAO can have a sort of proxy war.

I need some soviet-era propaganda posters for this, I think.

Also, @Gallant is still around. Sometimes. You should try tagging people when you talk about them.

Just remember: Former UOC means there's going to be a LOT of unhappy citizens about Yamatai moving in on their turf.

I haven't read the page on there, but Asura must be worth something extremely valuable for you to decide that there needed to be progress at all on something that would cause friction for rp plans, but perhaps that is my fault for not being fully appraised of the situation...

I guess I don't understand why you need to intrude on others plots. But again, I don't know the whole story, so I'll just leave it be for now.

I was very patient about Asura back when Gallant was running things in that area, and held off on Yamatai putting its feet planetside for his sake. So now that he disappeared and is no longer running a plot there, I kind of see this as my window to do that. With ideas of a plot there starting to form, I knew it was either I had to act now, or be stuck unrealistically holding Yamatai back once more. I know Asura's won't become mainstream Yamatai overnight, but I needed to at least make some progress on the matter while I had the chance.

Considering what happened in character more then likely they'll never become mainstream Yamatai and I mostly intend to portray that and I'd imagine those who will be playing in this planetary arena will portray that. It doesn't make any sense for them to suddenly start waving Yamataian flags around. Considering whats happened to them since YE-34 and what they've been through as a result Yamatai is practically the great satan to these people. Right now they only real reason you seem to be invested was because I created that special little zone (which I'm now greatly regretting) to give a good funnel for Yamataian plots to become involved. Whether or not its realistic for Yamatai to be held back is determined by the plot and whats happening, not how you feel out of character its not fair to me or anyone involved in this that you feel the need to interfere in a way that upsets the plots immersion and frankly this 'I knew it was either I had to act now' makes me wonder if I should continue this at all if its going to be an example of future actions in this effort.

Considering there was no communication sent to me and I never gave permission for Asura to be updated in the first place, I've been very flexible and patient with Arieg about this, and the intent of the base was actually to help with writing the planet page. I know it was bigger than some people expected, but that's how Yamatai's main planetary bases usually are, and this is not in a particularly welcoming area so being well-defended is a must. Anyway, I'm still not entirely clear on what Arieg's plans are.

I've sent you PMs in the past you don't respond to and this time I expect no difference so I simply bunked off of Paladin and naturally you watch the wiki like a hawk so you could have stopped me at any time instead you waited to this was near completion to give yourself and Yamatai an overwhelming advantage in a situation where Yamatai should never have been a factor outside of assistance. Above all... quit editing the page without saying a word it hasn't been submitted for review yet and its not a toy you can keep playing with, it happens again I'm killing the project and all assets are going elsewhere (art, statistics, etc) because this amount of meddling out of character and in character is becoming bothersome.

To me, this seems like an RP opportunity for Star Army RP groups, who are working to restore the planetary government and undermine the influence of corporations. Yamatai doesn't want to "invade" the planet by force, so it needs to work through diplomacy and subterfuge. I could see SOFTs or SPPs sneaking out of the base to arrange for corrupt officials on corporate payrolls to have "accidents" and Yamatai might even have secret bounty hunts going on, too, which would let the indie people in on the action. Meanwhile the factions of Asura can fight it out and Yamatai and the GAO can have a sort of proxy war.

Primarily and above all this is a Joint Task Force Kaguya plot and anything that interferes with that fact gets a seat at the back of the room no matter what. The next priority would be to independents which admirably this arena is perfect for since none of the issues present in other Yamataian areas are present (big sister and her big club) and again anything that could interfere with this is taking a seat in the back of the priority que. Remember Yamatai's presence in this war was purely out of curtasy and so far you've done nothing but walked all over it despite everyone telling you what your doing is a terrible idea. Now you can have your special operations and subtle influence but just be aware your putting money in the center of the table. If you wish to use the special control zone as a method of funneling arms and men into the war effort and as a springboard for special operations into those nations that are fighting against your efforts you need to be prepared to lose it all if the plot swings that way and its discovered.

If you'rd upset with Yamatain involvement here why not just move this to a planet outside their sphere of influence so that Wes has a good IC reason to have yamatai not involved?

If you'rd upset with Yamatain involvement here why not just move this to a planet outside their sphere of influence so that Wes has a good IC reason to have yamatai not involved?
Because theres no other planet where this situation could happen sadly.

Then make one, Space is big enough and there is plenty of UOC grey area from when they fell apart.

You seem to have a clear idea of what you want and don't want to have someone dictating terms. FMs having total control over their assigned faction is a thing for better or worse and the best you can reasonably hope for here is to strike a deal with Wes on how to use the planet and how Yamatai will react.

If you're uncomfortable with that, your best option is to move things outside of Yamatai's area

Also reverting back to the old Asura III article and moving the work in progress off site, tired of dealing with ninja edits.

This change in circumstance does not mean that the people who hate Yamatai aren't on Asura. it just means they aren't as fleshed out :p

I am very torn because I think this is a great idea at its base that I'm looking forward to seeing mature and shouldn't just be pushed away... but the fact that it requires a good deal of cooperation and compromise between competing GM and FM interests makes it ripe for drama like this to break out. Asuka really is the only significant place such factionalism could happen on the political scale required for an important meta plot element for Yamatai...

Last edited:
Couldn't help but notice a wiki tug-of-war going on through the revisions. Arieg has a right to his writing, and if it hasn't been submitted, then there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to remove his effort and put back what was on the page before he started working on it.

There is also no reason why the FM for this planet couldn't make changes at will.

The problem here is a failure to collaborate on a work in progress. FM rules are pretty clear on who has the right on the final say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back