Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Azorea] Continued Contact

"It is a matter unrelated to Azorea, though a cause for concern...apparently a group within a race known as the Freespacers announced its plans to hack the computer system my society uses to survive and function. In retaliation, my government used force...what some would consider excessive force.

Our own Princess was killed, rebelling and trying to protect the alien race. My race has been painted badly in the media for it...though judging from our entrance into your history books, charging in head first is all we know how to do...decades of war have set the militaristic in their ways...while it pains me to tell you this, it is a fact I feel would be wrong to omit."

Raytim nodded slowly. "I understand what you are saying, and I can tell you that there are those of my own people that are the same. They would throw the teachings away to pick up the sword against his neighbor... for just a bushel of kelp.. instead of in defense of his other neighbor. These are sad times we live in..." The Viceroy sighed, noticeably showing and feeling his entire 70 cycles.

"It seems we're getting very close...how are you in this pressure, Lyshana?

Also...which building are we going to?"

He asked, looking around...

"Fine" Lyshana says with a nod "Pressure's not too bad..." She says "Politics" She shakes her head "Senseless. I'm more interested in the important stuff. Comparative biology, and how things work."

Raytim pointed to the center-most spiral, "That is the halls of which the Parliament will meet." It seemed to be a bit taller then all of the other spires, but there wasn't anything special about it other then that.

Alraniss remained quiet at what Lyshana said for a moment before saying, "It is true that politics was rather... stupid, at time, but it is necessary for the peace and safety of our society. I suspect that it is the same in all cultures, correct?" The Azorean female floated gently through the water as the familiar sounds of the hustle and bustle of the citystate reached her ears.

"Politics" Lshana said "Are a side effect of the herd and pack instincts present in most intelligent creatures. It is little more then people operating on instinct, and without the knowledge that they are doing so. Frankly, I find it slightly disgusting. There's nothing wrong with acting on instincts, but we're intelligent creatures, and we should be able to admit to ourselves exactly what we are doing. Maybe if people did admit it they would get less caught up on things like public appearance, or perhaps they would be more willing to simply help others."

She snorted, then shakes her head "Not that I want an anarchy... but people need to see the instincts involved in a more detached light, or politics inevitably becomes more about 'how can I raise in the ranks' then 'how can I help others'."

From the looks on her face, it was clear that she had had some painful memories involving the subject, and the vehement way she spat the word public appearance might give some thought as to why.

"Well..." Toshiro said, thinking.

"We're the first aliens most of them have ever seen...perhaps if we keep such a thing in mind when we act, they'll take notice? We're representing what is supposed to be the potential of alien sentient life to these people, and should hold ourselves accordingly...

While I am surprised that the government left such a situation to untrained civilians, I do accept the responsibilities...it is better than Ketsurui-Taisa appearing after the actions preceding this meeting. After all...Nekovalkryja have little experience dealing with other societies diplomatically."

Alraniss seemed lost in Lyshana's words, but she tried to understand while nodding. Raytim stroked his chin as they finally arrived. The ocean floor was still quite a distance downwards, but many shapes and shadows moved this way and that in an orderly, yet busy, fashion. The two Azoreans swam over to what appeared to be a balcony. Where the door should have been, there was none, and the 'hole' in the main spire was fairly large. There was plenty of room for Toshiro's suit.

As they entered, the sounds of many voices could be heard. It seemed to echo throughout the spire. If Toshiro and Lyshana looked forward, all they'd would see was the floor and circular walls. If their gaze moved upwards, ledges with judges sitting on them, staring intently back, could be seen. Thus, in essence, the main spire that they had entered was completely hollow, which made voices echo clearly and effectively. Several holes throughout the spire served as windows as well as escape routes as they were large enough for an adult Azorean to crawl through. Raytim excused himself from the group as he swam to a pedestal located directly across from the entrance and the highest point in the halls. The viceroy soon called for order, which echoed down to the aliens as well as everyone else in the room.

Toshiro waited where he was left by the Viceroy, waiting for the meeting to come to order...he expected the Viceroy to brief them on the situation thus far, then call him to speak...

Sugoi...it is an auditorium with passive acoustic qualities...

There as Relgemal watched, the people from a different place, from the windows as he floated there alone. The normal Azoreans still stayed a ways away from him, making his anger flare. As he saw one inside what looked to be a metal exoskeleton. Why that is new- he thought as he observed. While he watched a plan formulated in his skull.

Lyshana watched everything with curious eyes in her thin, biological, protections, the excited flapping of her wings making her position slightly erratic. Her excited eyes surveyed everything with meticulous care, noting everything there was to see. She whistling to herself a somewhat sad sounding tune as she surveyed the surroundings.

Once Raytim had everyone's attention, the viceroy spoke to them all: "Brothers and sisters, today, we have two guests. These guests are from the stars and a distant nation. I will allow one of them to speak with you, if you have no objections..."

During the brief pause, several voices could be heard echoing, but it was difficult to tell where they had come from. The most notable were: "Why have they come??" "Have the come to finish us off?!?" "What?? They're going to eat us?" "No, you fool, I meant... ah, never mind, you treglo!" "What did you call me, barnacle-brow?" The room soon became flooded with loud voices that drowned out Raytim's attempts to reclaim order.

"...Please do not be alarmed. I will explain what has happened to cause the debris to rain on your cities, and try to paint a picture you can understand...I must ask for your attention first, however."

Toshiro said through the Ironman's loudspeaker, as clearly and concisely as possible, in Azorean.

The strange noise that came from the metal man, in the Azorean tongue as well, startled all of the judges into silence. Raytim regained his own composure first, "Are there any objections in allowing Master Yuki to present his case?" No one did. Either they feared the loud, metal man or they felt he had the right to speak was unclear.

"The incident in which your planet was located was an odd one. I was the first to locate you, having detected radio waves announcing the formation of your government.

This was approximately 35 Light-Cycles away. My government sent the ship, the YSS Eucharis with Ketsurui Hanako-Taisa, and she and I went off to take a look...however, this carried us close to the territory of a neighboring nation which detected us, and pursued using a technology called stealth, which makes them difficult to detect. In short, they snuck in behind us to see why we had ventured so close to the border of their space.

I attempted to initiate contact with your ship in space, so as the information of my existence would be filtered through your government, but Hanako-Taisa is a bit more...hands-on with diplomacy and first contact, going straight for this planet. When the Nepleslians followed her ship into your atmosphere, she detected them and was unable to identify their vessel. Fearing that the unidentified vessel was about to attack your world, she opened fire upon it and destroyed it.

Debris from this ship sunk into the ocean and rained down upon a city, injuring several of your race....something which I deeply regret, along with the shock and any damage to your society...I feel the reactions out in your cities and inside these halls, which killed several and wounded the Viceroy, could have been prevented with more tact and care. At the very least, Hanako-Taisa was able to restore your Viceroy to health before leaving."

He gave a sigh.

"Technology does not solve all problems or politics...even the most advanced races have moments they regret unfolded in certain ways..."

Lyshana flapped her wings energetically, excited, ricocheting around the room accidentally. Her thin biological wrapper was tough enough that she was not seriously damaged. "There's injured?! Wh did no one tell me! Can I help them? This will be a great way to learn about a foreign physiology. I'm versed in the physiology of hundreds of races!" She says, without taking a breath "Show me to the injured so I can help treat them!"

She seemed unaware of the havok her hyper bouncing was causing. It was clear that she had trouble controlling the twitching of her wings when excited, and underwater this was more of a problem then it was in air.

"Lyshana! Calm down! Don't frighten these poor people! I understand that you want to help, but please relax!"

He said, trying to calm down his subordinate...

As this information sank into the judges' minds, one of the judges from the referred citystate piped up, "Fortunately, there were no casualties. Only a few injuries were reported, and none of them were life threatening. Akeira Construction, a local company, was able to repair any and all damage caused by the debris to the citystate's structure." As this was being said, some of the judges gave strange glances to Lyshana, whom seemed to be over-eager to of some use... which caused her to seem suspicious to them.

Raytim nodded in approval before saying his own piece, "That is good news. I am grateful, as well, to Lady Hanako for her assistance in saving my life. However..." He paused to draw everyone's attention before continuing, "I am troubled at the recent activities both inside and out of our small nation. I would like to reevaluate all of the data for later review. If Master Toshiro would send the accurate historical information to our archives, I'm sure the Parliament would appreciate it." The viceroy glanced down towards the Yamataian with a nod.

Yaichiro nodded, loading historical data to archives accessed earlier...

"There is a massive quantum computer network called PANTHEON which records all in its view...so the history is extensive. I have ordered it to summarize events giving too many clues as to the operation of advanced technology...but you'll find that space is not the utopia of peace people dream of...politics, alliances, war, all still exist...only grander in scale..."

Several of the judges nodded at Toshiro's word of caution, but only one spoke up, "I can understand this. It may seem hard to believe, but our own world is not much of a utopia either. We are plagued by many things, namely overcrowding and prophecies of..." He fell silent, as every Azorean in the room acquired grim features on their faces. Whatever that seemed to trouble them appeared to affect them all deeply. Raytim carefully continued for the judge, "In any case, escaping into space is a necessity for our people. Not only to expand and grow as a civilization, but also for the survival of our spawns and future spawns."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back