• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: Bounty Hunts [Bounty 3.1] Eviction Notice

Ground Level, Right Side

With the way ahead clear of further hostiles, the mercenaries started to move up once more. Instead of trading shots with the denizens of the complex, their routine turned into navigating through the uneven terrain and taking care not to end up like the last casualty, blown to bits by one of the many traps their enemy had setup. Some of the mercenaries stopped to check the bodies on the way, only to find out that one of them had been booby-trapped as, apparently, one of their assailers retreated.

The mercenary started to turn over the body, then noticed a thin cable wrapped around its clothing and followed it to find out that the other end of it ended up on a grenade's pin. After that, the mercenaries just decided to shoot the bodies to be sure and move on. Even though the way to the reservoir was a short one in barely under a mile, it still took them the better part of an hour to get there through the terrain as the group took all the measures to avoid the traps laid out, which became thicker the closer they got to the reservoir.

When they finally arrived, they found out why.

After sustaining an invasion and a further reclaiming, the water reservoir barely resembled its former self. Since there were no natural water sources near the industrial complex, all the potable water had to be stored in four massive silos, and massive they were indeed. Each one of the circular structures was about as tall as a six-stories building, and their radius wide enough to part a couple of the shuttles they used to arrive there. Sitting in the middle of the four structures was the machine room, which spanned the same height with several metal catwalks and gantries to access the sides and top of the silos, presumably so that the former employees could do the proper maintenance to it.

Some of the catwalks had already collapsed, while most looked to be well on their way to sharing the same fate, and the main structure, like all the other buildings, was cracked and riddled with scorch marks from the war. The place was also very quiet, with seemingly no opposition.

Ground Level, Right Side

Jaina looked at the water silo complex in front of them and frowned. Easy job, Jacob said. It did not look so easy anymore. Jaina decided that next time Bounty Hunters as for help, she would bring more people. The place looked like disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention all the locals, that could be waiting there to set up a trap. In any way, it was not a nice place to go to, but a job was a job. It had to be done.

"All right ladies," Jaina said with firm quiet voice. "Let's move, stay on the ground level, I don't want a catwalk fumble under anybody's feet. Let's get into that machine room."

Ground Level, Right Side

Duncan hefted his Shot 12, "Damn, look at the size of those things! And those walkways do not look stable. I'm right behind you boss. Let's get this done, I don't want to even think about what this place will look like after we release all this water."

Duncan started a slow progression towards the machine building. Obviously the traps along the way were only a teaser. He stopped often and considered the best route as he went. He had no idea how these jackass crazies kept track of all the ticks but he was determined not to go out by setting one off.

"Gah.... "

As she followed behind Duncan, she groaned.

She quickly looked around ahead of Duncan, just to make sure nothing was in his or her way.

" .... These people really want us killed... "

She mumbled to him

Duncan chuckled aloud and nodded his agreement, "They sure as shit do. It's ok though, we'll make it through fine just keep on watching my backside. It's my good side, after all."

He continued to pick his way carefully forward, making sure not to separate from the rest of the unit.

Reservoir - Outside

The machine room that the mercenaries were supposed to reach sat before them, surrounded by the four massive silos. The squat and robust-looking building had two visible entry points that they could identify from where they were, one was a large gate made of corrugated metal, thoroughly rusted and riddled with bullet holes and supposedly so that transports could load and offload their cargo there; to reach the gate, the mercenaries would have to navigate a downwards slope riddled with debris, with walls on each side. The other one was a simple metal door, so that personnel could enter and leave the building, which quickly enough, the mercenaries reached.

The place was still riddled with traps and, even though it remained quiet, it still felt like a barrel of gunpowder about to explode.

One of Jaina's men, who -judging by the red splatters against his clothes and gear- was the closest to his buddy when he blew up to one of the traps, pressed his back against the wall next to the main door and tried to open it, turning the door handle with an outstretched arm, making it produce a loud, squeaking sound, and then pulling it for a few seconds, until it refused to budge. "Want me to kick it open, boss?" He asked, facing Jaina.

Reservoir - Outside

"Don't risk it," Jaina replied, stacking up right next to him. "Old military proverb says that first one to enter the room is a grenade, but since we do not want this place to fall on our heads I think that is out of the question. Problem is, that if I would put trap somewhere it would be right behind this door, either right above or on the floor. With that in mind, we need to be careful. Duncan check for traps, then we stack up and enter. Got it?"

Reservoir, Outside

"On it Boss, also I got some forced entry rounds, should I load one up," Duncan askedover his shoulder? He moved cautiously toward the door, scanning left and right. His nerves up he wouldn't let the team down again.

He is a man of action, he wasn't about to back down. As he arrived at the door he first visually checked the door frame. Making sure it sat right, if any part was sagging orbent. Some wear and tear would be normal in such a pit but any traps would need to be secured somehow.

Reservoir - Outside

"Go for it, it will make the entrance easier." Jaina replied to the man as her eyes looked around on the cat-walks. "So, see anything?"

Reservoir - Outside

Katya looked at Duncan as she stood beside Jaina.
She believed that he was strong, but still watched him as she was getting worried.

" ... Is he gonna get killed? "

She whisphered to Jaina.

Reservoir, Outside

Duncan did his best as he looked for traps but ultimately nothing stood out. He loaded a forced entry round into his Shot 12 from his forearm holder and racked the pump.

"Seems clear as far as I can see boss. I say we bust in and meet the neighbors," Duncan said as he stacked up against wall directly next to the opening latch for the door.

Once the others in the unit were in place Duncan would blow out the latch and kick in the door.

Reservoir - Outside

Jaina watched the merc check for bombs. She whispered back to Katya. "Probably not, we will see," she grinned at the young medic and turned back to Duncan.

"All right then, kick it in," Jaina ordered Duncan. She then pointed at the mercenary standing by the doory and gestured at him to follow Duncan in, once there is breach.

Reservoir - Outside

As she heard the Jaina, Katya frowned.
She then began mumbled her self.

" Probably not.... He'll be fine... "

As soon as she heard the Duncan's voice, she sighed in relief
She then saw Jaina pointing at mercenary, then quickly pointed her shotgun at door.

A big grin split Duncan's face as he pointed the weapon at the latch on the door. "Shotgun," he said loudly! He then fired his forced entry round into the door and moved to breach the doorway and sweep his shotgun around to cover any targets.

Reservoir - Outside

Metal fragments flew off as the breaching round impacted against the latch, which instantly had its effect noticed when the door started to open inwards. From what he could see at the entrance, it was possible for Duncan to notice that the machine room was very dark and very dusty. The light that shone from behind him and a few red emergency lights that were still functional only revealed a thin could of dust that had been suspended by his breach, slowly settling down onto the -surprisingly- still humming machinery on a lowered platform at the middle of the room.

As the mercenary swept his shotgun around to scan the room, however, the door continued to open and the distinct sound of something beeping, followed second audible bang. Whoever set the device up hadn't boobytrapped the door, but the space right after it, and it had been activated it when the door opened.

While the blast wasn't strong enough to even stagger the mercenary, the multiple metallic objects shoved into the explosive were the ones that caused the most damage. Duncan would feel as it someone had batted his shotgun away with surprising force as several shards, nails and bolts felt everywhere in the room, which was good news for him, because his weapon had shielded his face and eyes from the big fragments, making only come out of that with small lacerations and bruises, which were more severe on his forearms.

The blast once again acted as a call for the hostile inhabitants of the complex. As soon as the dust started settling down, the mercenaries could hear the distant howling and shrieking that had followed their ambush from before. They had a few minutes before they were engaged again.

Reservoir

"All right move in! Careful about more traps!" Jaina said and started moving in, sweeping her rifle and looking for danger. "Defensive position in the room, Katya take a look at Duncan. Spread out! Anyone who comes through any of the doors is dead. Do not flinch and shoot to kill."

Reservoir

"Aww, shit," Duncan exclaimed as the shrapnel pelted and shredded his arms and body. He spun giving his back to the room and hunkered down.

As the room calmed Duncan dropped his shotgun onto the floor with a clattering thud. "Damn, that hurts. Shit man look at my arms! Those bastards, I'm going to smash their faces in," he vowed as he looked over the damage to his arms. Duncan had basically injured every part of his body while growing up but he wasn't above showing his pain.

Duncan moved to any place that gave cover and allowed decent light. He turned to Katya, "Let's get some cover here. What do you think? Got some bandages and a handful of painkillers so I can go knock some crazy teeth in?"

Reservoir

As soon as Katya heard the explosion, she looked at Duncan's direction.
She then heard the Jaina, then replied loudly.

" Y - Yes...! "

She then quickly got in, then quickly ran to Duncan, then asked him loudly as she took a look at him.

" Are you alright? Any wound?! Yes, I do have some ...! "

She then quickly reached for her medic kit as she heard him.

Duncan winced in pain and released a small groan as he raised his arms out for Katya. "I'm a bit battered but my arms are the worst. We may have to dig some of this.. argh... this shrapnel out. I'll leave that to you," Duncan said softly amidst groans.

She quickly looked at Duncan's arm as he raised out for her.
She then saw sharpnels, then reached for her medic kit.

" Don't worry... I got this .... "

She told to Duncan to relax him, but wasn't sure, for it was first time she was actually pulling a sharpnel out....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…