• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Interest Check Catgirls And Spaceships: This Podcast Is Absolutely Canon

Tbh. If i can get in contact with an old buddy i served with i can get our old homebrew system we made off monster of the week. Get a couple people to help turn it into a sarp system RPG if all things go well and we can get a system going for anyone who wants to do the same thing in the future~

Also heres a totally legally acquired and uploaded copy of Monster of the week rules and system that you dont have to pay for for anyone whose interested...

Monster of the week.

Monster of the week seems to be a call-of-Cthulhu-esque thing right? I saw a couple other systems, though admittedly they're much more complex. Would it bear thinking about how well the mechanics of that game translate into SARP, and vice versa?

It's supposed to emulate things like Buffy/Angel, Supernatural, Monster Squad, etc. There's no insanity meter, no hard and fast magic rules. It's very relaxed with lots of room for interpretation, which is why I've enjoyed it.

There are some full sci fi conversions for the base system out there, but they're a bit too complicated for what I want to do. I have a few ideas for how to tweak MotW to fit our setting. I think it'll work, but we'll have to try and find out! Like I said before, we might basically wind up modifying it into our own new thing. I also enjoy FATE, especially for creating new characters, so we might give that a shot as well.

I think maybe use the shadowrun rulebook? It's fairly simple from what I've played with it and is highly sci-fi as well.

I think we should follow Reynolds lead for now, though we can definitely discuss this when we talk tonight.

I haven't run Shadowrun in a long time, but it's fun. A bit too crunchy for this, I think.
But yeah, we'll see how we all feel.

@Charmaylarg Dufrain, I do have some youtube channels and I mentioned getting a youtube channel for this would be an option to Reynolds a bit ago, as it is so easy.

After our little meeting, we've assembled our cast:

Alex as the Human Mundane Cook
Ame as the Neko Flake Scientist
Soban as the Separa'Shan Initiate Infantry

There's a few house rules I settled on that I told Alex about, too:

Weird is just Tech (which fits our Flake well, since they usually have +2 Weird and can get it to +3 easily)
Neko start with a bonus "Neko" move that is just their wiki entry, basically
Minkan would start with a bonus "Minkan" move that is the same, but since they're generally 'weaker' they also get to take one bonus move from any playbook, counted as a level up/advancement bonus, to represent their experience
Humans get a free bonus move from any playbook and need one less experience check to level up/advance

I wasn't expecting a snake and don't know much about their race, so if you have a suggestion for a starting bonus for them? I was thinking they just get their "Separa'Shan" move with the drawback of needing custom equipment. Should they maybe have a bonus to one stat, compared to the other races?

Over the next two weeks we should get the characters officially created and approved, then I'll start a wiki page for the plot/podcast. Next Saturday at 7 PM Central we'll record until around 10 PM Central, I think. Then we'll see how long it takes me to edit everything, heh.

This is is going to be delayed a bit. No worries, I expected a few hiccups, since we're trying something new here.

I've received some character info from Alex, but I still need you other two to PM me here or on Discord. Need to get some concepts, then set up wiki pages, making sure to include their character sheet as well. Once I have our lineup I can set up the plot/ship stuff and sketch out a first episode with some rough ideas for a plot.

I have not received much more information or communication about this, and I am currently working on securing a new job, so this will likely be delayed/postponed. I will probably not be doing any posting until I am fully settled, either.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back