• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: LSDF Akahar [Chapter 1.1] - Staring Back Again

Mist had been rather unceremonious in boarding the shuttle and took his seat. "So who's ready to see if the toy box is a deathtrap?" His tone was obnoxiously lighthearted. The Lmanel looked around the shuttle to see what peoples responses would be.

Mars was looking over Vathr'dal's shoulder at the HUD and the pictures. She tapped on her helmet for a bit, thinking about what to do. THat ship was just weird and approach will be quite hard. "Vathr'dal I will leave the approach to you. You are the pilot, but let's check them out before we try to contact them. It could still be a trap." She said to the pilot and returned to Merril and Mist.

"That ship is in bad shape," she told them with a sigh. Mars sat down, took her rifle and put in a battery and magazine with live ammo. She made sure that the safety was on and put the gun between her legs. "We might even have to spacewalk. I hope you guys have some experience with it."

"Alright Mars, I'll keep my distance till we've got a better idea of what this ship is and what the distress signal is all about," Vathr'dal said to the large Fyunnen. He then shifted his attention to the HUD and the process of taking off from the hangar. He analyzed the display for a moment, trying to discern a pattern in the movement of debris. With this quick observation over, Horizon clutched his metal hands on the flight controls and prepared for takeoff.

"Bridge crew, I'm taking off now," he said over the comm channel. "Alright, ladies and gentlemen," he called to the people sitting in the back of the shuttle,"Here we go." Horizon's voice echoed through the Wayfarer at this announcement, and simultaneously the ship sprang to life.

Vathr'dal pushed slightly on the lift controls, bringing the vehicle off the ground and into a hover a few feet off the deck. He then eased forward the thrust, and the shuttle made its way out of the Akahar and into the wide expanse of space. Horizon kicked up the Wayfarer's speed, all the while following the path set before him on his HUD. He was careful, however, not to trust too highly in the path, and Vathr'dal kept a wary eye out for any debris hurtling through space. It was in this way that the Wayfarer and its occupants made their way towards the origin of the mysterious SOS.

The ship lurched and stumbled in Vathr'dal's view-screen as aged, and partly clogged impulse thrusters came on, seemingly at random. Probably whatever was left of the ship's synthetic intelligence had determined that the shuttle was an inbound asteroid, and was trying to shift out of it's path. Unfortunately due to the damages all this does is make it's trajectory, and the docking path, even more chaotic.

Junk pinwheels nerve wincingly close to Vathr'dal's shuttle, massive, and dangerous despite its deceptive lack of speed. The signal slowly gets stronger, and more responsive. "Hello hello? Is there a tangerine there? We need a small variety of cactus. Caution language module damaged. Abort/Retry/Pass/Fail? Reprocessing. Hello hello? is there anyone out there?"

The shuttle will find it's path through the wreckage blocked by debris somewhat short of it's destination, It looks like EVA work may be necessary. Nerve wracking EVA work, around spinning pinions of hundred ton wreckage.

Aiesu was in her own quarters when she heard the announcement, steaming a cup of coffee - a silvery pipe diving into the tan liquid. She added a second round of cream and sugar before frothing again. It was moments like this Aiesu was glad she brought her own coffee machine - granted, it made her small quarters cramped.

She paused for a moment before she began making another, slotting the coffee cup into a cheap slatted tray, the other soon to join it.

As she waited for the other to steam, she glanced about her room, feeling like some giant of Yamataian silver flick fame - trumping and stomping with her tiny steps through the cityscape of her own chambers - the many tall boxes buildings of some sort - her foot dodging tools and cabling about her feet.

She winced, catching her finger on the steamer - flailing her finger and suckling at the burn before capping the other paper-cup with a similar plastic roof as the first.

She was soon sailing, lulling through the decks with slow steps. There should have been a tustle of various sloshy wet muscles in her belly and other various messy biological components. But she ignored it. Taking her time, Aiesu Kalopsia would be rushed by noone.

Aiesu waited before the door, deciding to make Hakahn wait as she thought about what was likely to happen. Satisfied, she carefully rapped her knuckle on the door.

The door, a wooden recession in the wall slid open. Aiesu would be greeted by a dimly lit room. It was unadorned with trinkets and was oddly clean, clearly unlived in.

Aiesu thought about this for a moment. It was as thought the current occupant was expecting to be evicted any day now. Her attention was drawn to the sole source of light which came from the deck from a battery of lamps illuminating the ghostly traces of volumetric screens outlining the Fyunnen male at his desk - a burning white with traces of red on one side of his features - and a blue on the other from the displays, highlighting his grizzled features. From the look on his face, Aiesu concluded job satisfaction was not a priority in a position such as his.

"Coffee?"

The Fyunnen waved a hand dismissively to the question and motioned for her to come closer. There wasn't a chair in front of the desk, but there was a wireframe chair on one side.

Listening carefully, Aiesu could make out a soft clicking sound - a delicate popping - before she spotted twisting vinyl behind Hakahn's desk. And then music?

Listen while reading: ♫ Beethoven - Symphony No. 7, Allegretto

It was slow. Pompus. Arrogant. But remorseful. Severe.

Inching closer with careful steps in her converse, Aiesu would settle down in the wireframe, unsure what to make of the chair's position. She pulled the chair up and took a cup from the card clasp, settling it down, followed by the other with a quiet clop against the obsidian glass of the desk. She slid one forward with her pale fingers as a peace-offering to the CO to take if he chose before she reclined - cradling her own in her hands.

She took a slow sip, savoring its warmth. Starships were always too cold for Aiesu's tastes.

"I'm sure you and I both saw things that probably shouldn't have had to be shared." He opened first and foremost, eerily businesslike about the subject.

She knew this to be his opening but didn't give him the benefit of a platform to stand on, choosing to remain quiet. It was a hard move, one intended to express and preserve her distance and her indifference. She mulled over Hakahn's psychological profile in her head once again.

She was more experienced in these manners than he so her stern disposition was to be expected. Hakahn would be forced to explain himself to her - and work for it which would force Hakahn to put his cards on the table while she kept her own to herself - giving her much needed leverage against someone of his... Disposition.
Or rather, that was the plan. She chewed at the inside of her cheek before her lips met the burn on her finger.

"And I understand there's more to your mission than meets the eye, and I'm sure my XO had some of it figured out." Hakahn's expression remained bored and disinterested in the ARIA before him.

"Where are you going with this?" Aiesu stated. He was playing her at her own game. Her own tone was neutral but not hostile, plesant as she eyed the coffee she'd brought - and then him, while taking a sip of her own. She didn't like the way the room told her so little about him - or rather, it did but nothing of what she wanted to know - nothing that would give her an opening. This was a man who knew the game.

"Ergo, what bothers me is the Lazarus Corporation's-"

"Concortium" she jumped in, correcting him, moments later in the back of her head noting she'd likely been baited by him.

"Yes. As I was saying. What bothers me is Consortium's interest in a Cargo Vessel. I believe my subordinate has the keys to this answer but he is currently..." Hakahn searched for a word, leaning in somewhat and an eye rolling in his skull.

"Below an acceptable functional threshold. He could tell you any story he wanted to" she said, leaning closer now, her chair closer, elbows against the deck as she cradled the coffee beneath in her spidery white fingertips - trying to appear comfortable. "And you'd be none the wiser, with no filtration of fact from delusion."

Aiesu's lips curled into a smile which at a first glance was simply polite - though the particular angle and the look in her eyes was predatory. "What a shame."

"Eloquently said." Hakahn concluded. "With which, you can't glean more."

Baiting her again. Her ego didn't like this. "Actually..." she began, leaning back in her seat now - feeling the faux-leather crumple and the metal squeek in homage to the cheapness of the vessel. "You do know my credentials. If you did want something, I could probably get it out of him."

Idly, Aiesu's gaze rested on a silver metal pen on Hakahn's desk. In her mind's eye, she saw at least twenty ways of incapacitating him - none of which she could act on unless she got to it first - and if she was fast enough. Neither were credentials she excelled in - but the thought in and of itself was reassuring.
"Or even you. Not that I'm offering."

"He is indeed a weak point in the machine in spite of his fits of brilliance, and you have had it correctly identified. Should I pin a medal to that chest of yours?" He sighed, looking her over.

"I'm afraid bumbling hands wouldn't discover anything beneath. I'm barren." she almost laughed - sore about the point. Carefully, she planted the idea and watched to see his response.

Hakahn remained silent for a moment, then reached across the table for the coffee, but he kept it beside him instead of drinking it.

Aiesu noted his need to collect what he thought was his, she saw as... Not a sign of vulnerability but unease, as if he were hiding something, guarding his thoughts around the euphemism. She simply smiled knowingly.

"Not to your liking?" It was a loaded question.

Hakahn shook his head, eyes still focussed on her, however.

"Pity. You're not one for words, are you, Mr. Hakahn?" she took another sip from her coffee.

"If you're trying to play upon my... Frustrations with the caste system, I'm afraid I've already come to grips with it."

She noted his emphasis on a particular word.

"So you understand what bullshit it is" He nodded in earnest reply. A rare moment of honesty came and went, so it seemed. The first words between them that shouldn't have been loaded and they were about the caste system. Or rather, they weren't.

"Where are you going with all this?"

"Could you be frank with me for a moment?"

For some reason the words felt familiar.

"What is Lazarus' angle on all this?

"I'm afraid I can't -"

"And whereabouts does the Mok'Ro fit into it? Is there a piece of cargo, perhaps linked to the interests of MOTHER?"

Hakahn had been looking, but he didn't necessarily see.

Aiesu stared for a moment. The use of the word MOTHER in such a context triggered something - a flicker behind her eyes as she was made aware of someone riding shotgun in her perceptions. She wasn't alone with him in the room - someone hiding between her ears, far away.

With that, her smile evaporated. "Hm?"

Hakahn blinked. That wasn't the response he was expecting. His lack of knowledge on the keybond. The inner workings of an ARIA were Keib's specialities - not his. For the first time in a while, there was a detail that escaped him. It was excruciating. There was something he simply could not finger himself.
Keib knew more about the woman than she did, potentially - and she was a security vulnerability too - and now, perhaps a threat. A two way street of unchecked information. Subconsciously, his right hand compressed until the knuckles cracked.

In this moment, Aiesu's gaze rose skyward at the mirrored surfaces in the corner points of each room, bevelled in a triangle connecting each surface. These were in every room on the ship - and even her own -- though she'd gone to the trouble of spraying paint to blacken their view and gum up the audio pickups of each in her room.
This ofcourse had made Aiesu something of an unknown to Hakahn - and therefor it seemed a threat, when really all she wanted was privacy. The penny then dropped as she ran her tongue through her cheek, feeling the caffene linger when the milk hadn't. It was bitter. Thinking about it, such listening devices, while common on the raptor, were not usually in such excessive numbers.

The penny dropped.

She then eyed the door in its reflection, placing her coffee on the desk as she stood upright. She had to get out. now.

"This conversation is over, Mr. Hakahn," Aiesu stated out loud as she stood to her feet. She was already thinking of ways to ensure this knowledge wouldn't further spread beyond Hakahn - who now was a liability to her own mission and even her future operations. He would never work again after this mission, she promised herself - and on repeat offence, she'd arrange an accident especially for him.
She took a step back, turning toward the door. "Excuse me."

Hakahn's expression twisted and contorted. His right arm shot across the desk. He grabbed the delicate flesh and bone wrist of the ARIA and pulling her forward, grabbing her by the hair and pinning her head to the desk - bending her over it. Her cheek met the glass with a thud.
"It isn't. You aren't nearly as valuable as my XO shills you to be. You are just a copy of someone sent here because your creator hasn't got the collateral or conviction to follow a deal through all by themselves. Whoever made you is a coward."

The desk was unexpectedly cold. Instinctively, Aiesu shifted. Most humanoid beings would stop thrashing - biologically programmed to go limp under the sensation like a mother taking her kittens by the scruff of her neck. But she kept moving. It was only when she felt the stitches that he really had her down, along with what little strength she didn't posess.

Hakahn was many times her weight and many more times her strength. He could throw her around like a ragdoll if he wanted to. She didn't say anything, trying to remain calm and objective. An angry fyunnen could snap her in two like a twig, even just a male, if she said the wrong thing. She could already feel her wrists bruising behind her back.

"I... Could kill you, of course... Space you... Just report you as missing and whoever sent you would send another without debate. It would be very convenient for me, do you understand? Your... Creator... I presume, is the one you are based on? She..." he almost laughed
"She wouldn't shed tears for you. She didn't for the past... forty six iterations." He leaned in, nausiatingly close. His voice was husky, oily and growled. And there was something else. A man's scent.

"That's an awfully big number, isn't it?"
She could feel something against her body, realizing now why he'd emphasized that word.

"And she isn't about to start shedding tears just for you."

Aiesu tried to laugh, wincing in pain - laying what counterattack she could. "She can hear all of this, you know... You're... Hagh... Not the only one with eyes and ears... Mister Hakahn."
Her arms finally getting leverage as she did everything she could - finally lifting her chin off the cold glass of the desk. She could feel a vibration in her shoulder, her muscles working against his. "Nngh."

"But what can she do with what she hears and sees?" Hakahn said, his words smooth like smoke and utterly calm. He wasn't even trying.

He'd made a good point. Noone in the Consortium could reveal their real identity or they'd be dead hours later. She could feel her ears ringing now as her teeth clenched - serrated edges clicking briefly as they locked into place. A bead of sweat trickled off her forehead as she kept pushing against him.
"Hkkghh..."

"You are... a puppet without strings. A bird without wings. Given autonomy only to squander." He then grabbed the coffee she'd offered him earlier. "This is my domain, little rabbit. It is what little I have."
He then popped the lid off with his thumb of the hot coffee and looked at her head, spotting patches of redness. "And it is mine."

There was silence between them.

"Say..."
He started to tilt the coffee cup slowly as his other hand pried her hair away to reveal the scarred flesh.

"They say cute ears are supposed to turn heads - a sign of Lorath beauty and prestige... You've never displayed yours... I wonder why that could be?" Hakahn almost purred, slowly shifting her milky white hair aside - eyes scanning along her neck as he parted the curtains of her mane.

The basis of her ears were there, trimmed in darkened ridges and shapes. What should have expanded up into tall thick lapine ears, redness as if they'd been cut quite cruelly when she was a child. Faint pits in the cut revealed the flesh had likely been malignant, working to try and eat her alive - a sign of a botched aspectation. They were visibly stapled against her head with three thick bars of metal like piercings against her metallic skull. He could make out the faintest licks of silver of her synthetic skull now about the back as he peeled her ear back. He slid his finger down the gap between her ear and her skull.

"I bet it gets itchy here, doesn't it?", he scratched along the back of her ear. She winced audiably. Slowly, Hakahn's finger sank deeper and then with leverage against her skull, swayed.

With a quiet hiss and a wince from her, he ripped each individual staple as if unzipping a jacket with much the same ease - an audiable pop of flesh as his finger sank lower and lower.

Silently, he noted whoever had dealt with her ears hadn't cared too much about the quality of the job - though from the lack of tissue and the visible nerves, a good job couldn't actually be done with them.

"Aren't you just adorable?" Hakahn stated - his tone deadpan now.

Already, Aiesu was panicking - pale milky blood seeping down her neck, paler than the fabric of her shirt. She panted now, hearing the scalding hot coffee rumbling in near silence over the cliff of the coffee cup, spilling over her malformed ear.

Though the ship was busy, her voice could be heard down the corridor - a growled high pitched sound marred in whimper, as if branding someone.

"...I wonder..." Hakahn began again, smoothly as always. "...if she felt that?" His rumbly voice tickled through the ARIA's skull as she heard those words like thick tar rolling into her mind.

Elsewhere...

"S..S....Sss... Ssshh..anhg..." a delicate voice rathered and guttered up at Hakahn as the pouring ceased - unable to even begin her words now as she trembled as if close to freezing to death - in shock oozing like wires through the tendons and arteries in her body, piercing through her knuckles and fingertips.

The physical switches associated with any sort of surgical work couldn't be triggered by the construct when her neural centers thought the real Aiesu was riding shotgun - whether she was really still there or not, thanks to buggy software - and now Aiesu truly knew she was alone. She couldn't make words anymore.

"You're really enjoying this, aren't you?" Hakahn smiled. "I'll continue treating you as you deserve... Though... That'd confer some sort of value to you. You're not a tool, you're a spectator at best and a security liability at worst." he sighed - still utterly calm - eyes dead as his fingertips rode beneath her shirt along her pale back - and then about her hips, sinking beneath her bicycle shorts - his fingertips icy cold. She could feel his fat fingers between her thighs against flat smooth skin.

"You don't even have this, you know. Even children get anatomically correct toys," he huffed in a flavor of disappointment Aiesu attributed as oddly paternal - as he began to ease her bicycle shorts down about her ankles.

She turned her head, wincing as he pulled her hair back - only to let her look this time - through the reflection infront of her, behind his desk. She could make out his body over and against her. His hips were cold against her backside - with a nausiating warmth between them.

Aiesu could feel it, crushed up against her backside - a deep burning froil of bile in her belly now as she wretched, staring back up at him to get a proper look at Hakahn.

His figure blocked out the light - white dancing around his edges in the dark room - only able to make out that silloette in the darkness before she felt the bottom of Hakahn's palm thrash against her skull, forcing face back down against the desk after seeing her watching him through that reflection. As much of a voyeur himself, he didn't want to be seen.

"If Keib... Or anyone gets word of this" his breath rolled through her eardrums like sticky oil, deafening through her scalded eardrums - ringing furiously "We both know what will happen to him."

"And if you try anything?" he said - not caring to repeat himself once again - especially rhetorically. She didn't deserve an explination, but either way, she knew.

His fingers explored over her pale backside, disappearing into the shadow created by his body.

"Well... Seems you at least defecate" he said, a soft squeak from the throat of the figure beneath as Hakahn muttered, no joy in his voice as he did this - and yet there was that fatherly warmth in his eyes.

"At least this gives me something to work with, doll"

"What's the hold up up there? Space traffic? And what do oranges have to do with cactuses?" Merril cat-called at the pilot, pulling what appeared to be a short length of yarn out of nowhere, seemingly. For a moment, she took her helmet off again, popped one end of the string in her mouth, bit down, and popped the helmet back on. Perhaps it was a nervous habit. Or maybe it was a 'lucky' one. In any case, the medic was now chewing on half of a piece of white yarn softly.

Mist leaned in his seat to look out of the front of the shuttle. The stranded ship was definitely... something else.

"They want to know if we're a soft fruit and if we have spare spiked plants? Tell them we are coconuts and that we have an assortment of beetles." Shrie'keng was incredulous about the validity of the distress call but was willing to play along.

"So. Not to you know, suggest anything I'm not supposed to. But can we ask them to bring their ship to a full stop including the giant smashing parts of it? Just saying." The lmanel looked around wondering if his request would even be considered reasonable.

Somewhere in the swirling wreck with which the cryptic babbling was coming from, Vathr'dral could identify what appeared to be an airlock of some sort. A scan from the Wayfarer indicated that the vessel had no power, and thus was incapable of slowing down - it was beholden to the same trajectory it was given the day it was destroyed - nothing save for an equal and opposite force would slow it down.

The Wayfarer wasn't worth risking, so the most sensible option seemed to be an untethered, self-propelled spacewalk. The equipment to do so was in a compartment above each occupant's head if they weren't already wearing something spaceworthy.

The EVA suit contained above was standard issue, standard description and non-Lorath nor UOC of make. It was able to do what it was made for and distributed to all systems simply because of its use in emergencies and tight binds. Its only drawback was that it wasn't armoured, and the user was fragile compared to someone in a military grade armour - even someone in a WIND without the GUST attachments was safer.

"Everyone suited up for Vacuum?" Mars asked she returned from cockpit, closing and sealing it behind herself. She looked at Merril and Shrie'keng, seeing they both wore WIND just like her. "I talked with pilot, there are too many pieces of wreckage around for shuttle to get closer. We are going to space walk. So follow me."

With that she moved toward the back of the shuttle and pumped the air out, balancing the pressure with the outside. "Hokay, strap your stuff and let'S go," she said, making sure all her equipment was strapped on. When that was done she opened the doors and was in space. Mars took as breath and stepped outside into nothing.

Her massive body drifted for several meters, before she used her GUST so stop herself. She finally got a good look at the web-ship. "You people ever saw ship like that?" She asked over comms. Her eyes were looking around noticing the pieces of metal around. Not waiting any longer she started moving forward carefully to the airlock of the destroyed ship.

Merril was the first to follow Bastion out, sort of exhilarated - and terrified at the weightlessness that surrounded her. Not many knew this, but death by spacing was one of the few things that scared her. At the same time, however, she felt freer than she ever felt, just drifting along.

Her breathing grew heavy as she responded. "N-naw, but it looks neat, innit?" She answered, her pulse jumping into her throat.

Aboard the habitable remains of the starship's controlroom creatures were waking up. Oxygenation systems were awakening. Four of the six bodies were in motion at any given time, scuttling along the inside of the room. Fixing wires, repairing leaks. They moved mechanically, with both unerring precision, and an eerie lack of speech between them. Finally one of them speaks. On a patched and fizzing screen is the radar image of the incoming ship. The sole source of diffuse light in the room.

"We have visitors. We were tired of being alone." One said.

"We hope they'll be fun" Another replied with a mechanical looking grin.

"We should get ready for them. Rescue will be difficult."

"We do not recognize their vessel. They are not of our kind."

"They are sapient. At this point we would accept a sapient vegetable as our kind."

"Point."

"The advantage to arguing with ourselves is that we always win."

They turned in unison to watch the single functioning viewscreen, watching the unknown space suits begin to unload into space from their shuttle.

"We wonder how long it's been?"

"Let us prep the welcoming devices!"

Some devices on the hull turned to face the boarding crew. They looked like guns, or weapons. They tracked the spacewalkers for a few moments, then fired brightly colored and harmless paper streamers.

Shrie'keng was glad to step out of the shuttle. Space wasn't his favorite place to walk into but it was far better than the confines of a spaceship. As for the ships greeting he didn't like the ships gun's turning towards the group and was left dumbfounded from their firing.

Maneuvering to face the group he would only motion towards the paper floating through space. "What?"

Merril had raised her gun as the tracking devices activated, but then lowered it once she had seen their munitions.

"What ship comes standard with party favors?" The medic asked, making a visible shrug to Mars.

Instead of being out in the mission, Masakaji stared at his cabin's ceiling rather bored. All thanks to his body's hatred for lorath food, despite all of the careful genetic structuring the Yamataians had put into it. Until he can figure what exactly he is deathly allergic to, he was swearing off the food for the moment. Which severely limited his options.

"Oh no," Said Bastion as she drifted towards the strange web-ship. She was prepared to spin and land first, activating the mag-boots. She watched the lines of paper streamers fly by. "We are going to board a ship of space-clowns." She said with a sigh and landed on the ship.

Her long legs made her way towards the airlock and looked at it to see a way to open it without endangering anyone inside.

As they walked across the silent hull the exploration party would see a series of vignettes. Heroic remains preserved in the darkness of space, visible to all who cared to inspect them.

The first vignette was a space suited body strapped to wielding gear. Sitting around it were a group of undamaged suits without oxy-tanks setting in a line like students. They had given their tanks to the wielder, and expired while he had tried to patch a large hole in the hull. The wielder's body floated near the final, unfinished, wield on the patch helmet shattered, and face frozen. Those who cared to look through the hole would see that the wielder's work may not have been successful, but it had bought time.

The next vignette was a robot that had sacrificed it's artificial body and life to bridge a gap in the ship's power-train. The massive energies had burned scores along it's body and fried it's circuits, as it clung dearly to diode and anode. Because of it's sacrifice, the room from which the distress call was coming still had power.

The next vignette was a small group of people and robots huddled around a hole in the hull. They had ejected one of the generators that was going critical, saving the ship, but the radiation had taken it's toll. Many of them had chosen to commit suicide, opening their faceplates while watching the stars.

At this point the space-walkers would have seen the access hatch/airlock. The door was cracked, and a fibre-optic cable ran through the crack. It would take some force and effort to pry it open. On the other side, the inner airlock was wide open.

In the hall inside they would see a child's corpse in a narrow vent. From the looks of it, the child had donned a space suit, and crawled to the surface through the narrow tubes, bringing a wire for a redirect. It's oxy had run out here, but some kind soul had placed a stuffed animal in it's arms, and plugged the fibre-optic cable into a port on the hull.

Next they would see a dead woman, and a robot, in loving embrace laying together against one of the walls, looking into each other's eyes even as the light had faded from them.

Beyond that a side room that had clearly been a makeshift infirmary, littered with dead doctors and patients. The doctors had died rushing into and out of the room, trying to carry as many patients as they could to safety through the secondary airlock/bulkhead at the end of the hull as the local pressure had slowly dropped to lethal.

Finally they would reach the airlock beyond which the mysterious survivors remained. The outer door would be open, and the inner one closed, as airlocks should be.

A Ghost ship. A realy bloody ghost ship. That is how Mars would describe what she could seee. Prying open the outer doors of airlock and moving inside. First she could see was dead child. 'How could they send child to repair something? Bloody beasts!'

Within few minutes Mars stood before the last airlock. THe indicator showed that there was air on the other side, just had to step in, close outer doors, pressurize the airlock and open inner doors. And on the other end could be a machine-gun aiming at them. Or survivors in need of help. They would not know until they went in.

"Time to go in," she said and stepped into the airlock. "If one of you want to stay back I won't hold it against your. We are sitting duck in this airlock." Mars then proceeded to chamber a round into her rifle and wait to see how others decide.

The vignettes didn't disturb Merril for the most part. People died. But the one that really got to her were the ones that opened their face plates. Why? Merril wondered, shuddering.

In time, the group arrived at the final airlocks. The medic listened to Bastion, but chose to load her rifle in response.

"If there's wounded in there, I gotta go in. 'Sides, the sooner I get inside, the better," She declared, gripping her rifle tightly.

"Are those... streamers?" One of the bridge crew asked, observing what was happening outside via cameras inside the helmets. Their main use was for commanders and squad leaders maintain good oversight and facilitate coordination. One of the paper streamers bumped into the visor and bounced off. "Well. This definitely is a Freespacer vess- oh my."

"Damn." One of the the Bridge crew sighed as she saw each scene painting what used to be on this ship, and encapsulating the ship's final moments. Each was an image caught in time by space. "What could've been sending out the signal, though?"

"A polysentience hub?" Another of the bridge crew guessed as she was watching the long range scanners for any signs of the Mok'ro. She was getting many signals, many beacons for different vessels of all makes and models - all nonresponsive. All except for one lively ship that was on a course towards the Akahar. It had no IFF that pertained to one of the major factions. "Hold that thought - We have incoming. Unidentified vessel, looks to be a Freighter of some sort."

It then blinked into view millions of miles away from the Akahar. It was an Origin 2A, a favourite pertaining to privateers and merchants of all tiers. Visually, it'd been plated a drab brown colour, and a pair of crudely painted black stripes ran from the nose to the tail of the vessel.

And then there were some retrofitted weapons onto it - overgrown point defence weapons that'd been bundled into crude arrays to offer more firepower using volume and bolted to hardpoints. To either side of the nose were arrays of fixed missile tubes of some sort. One of them launched a torpedo towards the Akahar.

"Battle stations!" The bridge crew yelled as the lights began to flash red. The skeleton crew on this ship was barely enough to keep the main guns and a quarter of the torpedo tubes occupied. The pilots on the bridge also had their work cut out for them too.

A point defence weapon on the Akahar intercepted the lone torpedo, and it was prepared to fight back. "Away team," One of the bridge crew relayed as she was coordinating the empty missile batteries automatically. "Hurry your search up! We've got company."

Their deep, active scanning had given out a large ping on the radars. They knew this full well, and were hoping that the other vessel could be disabled or destroyed before the Akahar was damaged.

I remember seeing the smoke. I had closed my eyes to it, and smelled the snow on the air. That had been a really good feeling - come to think of it, I have always liked the cold. The way it kisses you, and all the clothing that you wear in it when the season's on. It was a friend of mine.

There was blood on the snow. I liked them. I wanted to see them.

I had been alone. I don't really remember why, or where I came from before then, but they took me in and he loved me. I cannot remember my name before, but he called me Quicksilver, and laughed. Everybody was really nice. I loved them so much for taking me in.

But I killed them.

I killed them.

I killed them.

I killed everyone!

Four Six sat upright, jerking awake.

The screams had become the wailing of a klaxon; the darkness of the medical bay washed over her like salvation. In a moment of blind panic, Four scrambled off of the table, trying to get away from it, afraid that she was still dreaming.

Reality settled in when her legs refused to work, rebelling against her.

Her abdomen burned; even with painkillers, she felt the agony rip through her, clinching her muscles and nearly drawing a cry out of her until she could prop herself up. Putting her hand to her head, she felt at her face and her hair. Her hand came away damp and oily.

It had been a dream.

But it hadn't been a dream. She knew that.

Four glanced around her surroundings; she lingered on the knives, on the needles, and every random sharp thing that the doctor had carelessly left out. The edges sent strange shivers into her fingers, made the hair on her ears prick up. She could feel the knives in her hands, as if they were already there.

Slowly, the helashio reached out and took them.

The metal was smooth, beautiful. It terrified her. It terrified her very badly. It also felt intricately familiar, like old friends.

Her uniform was over on the other table. A lump of clothing. She wobbled her way over to it, step by step over the perfect tiled floor, until she could get her knuckles - no touching things with the edges, not until she needed to - onto a nearby tray, to steady herself.

The pants were bloody. Struggling to fit reality back into fantasy, or perhaps simply rectify her memory, Four stared at them.

She remembered her child.

And she gripped the knives tighter than she could ever clinch her teeth.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back