Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC Conference Discussion

I can wrap it up in a paragraph — "Not much else happened. Everyone went home a little nicer and a little more understanding." Easy breezy.

Forum moved to archives.

I'm a little disappointed that Yamatai wasn't able to directly confront Lorath over their territorial invasions of YSE space.

Could you update the page with a summary of what happened, Doshii?

Well, I suppose we should start discussing it, pounding out who is all coming.

I will likely be representing the Gartagens.

To facilitate everything, I'd actually like to offer the Gartagens host this year's conference.

Are there any fine points we wish to address this year?

Hi Ira, I think Wes plans on it being held in Reikan Embassy Park as indicated by the page he created, International Relations Conference YE 36.

Obviously IF the Hidden Sun is going to attend I will be representing them. Though I am still trying to decide what level of involvement they would have. If the group decides to have it hosted elsewhere, I can say that the Clan would most likely decline attending. They would not go to a conference with a bunch of races they've never met being hosted by a people they haven't met. Its just not there way. But that is fine with me.

We built Reikan Park to be the site of the IRCs, and this will be the first year we get to use it. @Ira Perhaps you could host a future IRC, but you should probably get to work making a facility for it first.

The IRC is scheduled to start March 1.

The Neshaten won't be able to make it to this particular conference. There has been no official first contact yet, and a lot of that has to do with the Gam'trosha not being in the right place (which is mainly my fault actually, since I tend to be slow-paced when running plots) so in the end, they probably won't make it to this particular IRC, maybe next year.

One thing I don't want to do is rush first contact.

You know.... you'd think something like the international relations conference would be held in a more neutral location.

Considering what happened at the first one and the reaction it got, I would've thought so too. Pisces was an easy enough getaway point, Yamatai is not.

I'm kind of baffled that nations more standoffish about Yamatai would at all send their top officials on their homeworld, in a "get off your high arse, use your brain and use a better fringe location, or enjoy your empty chairs" way. The IRCs have, after all, proven that they can be rather politically explosive in the past. They shouldn't be blind that the invitation is a rather blatant political move to keep Yamatai looking like it's the 'center of the universe' (which is actually kind of is according to the map, but it doesn't mean others like it).

I suppose in the end we must ask the question what purpose does the international relations conference serve? Trade for the most part doesn't really exist on any real level and most of the diplomatic situations between the various involved powers (and our two superpowers) are luke warm at best and sub-zero at worst.

Honestly, I think after the last IRC. The Abwehrans ICly would send medium-level diplomats to the table rather than big names. Mostly because few things on the previous agendas really affected the ASE as a whole.

Reikan park just strikes me like an ill-adviced place to stage an IRC. It's likely perfect for nations that are on allied/friendly terms with Yamatai (an Alliance Conference?), but it strikes me too much as a "look who's trying to look like the belly-button of the universe" move. I'm not really any faction leader, so, I'm not actually speaking for them... but it just strikes me that an IRC there just wouldn't be taken seriously because it'd seem so self-aggrandizing - though that means no serious progress being done in any avenues.

Pisces was borderline as a military installation, but it was close to the Yamataian border, so it kind of tenuously worked. But then, the two first turned up rather scandalously sensational. This still harms Yamataian credibility, and it's not likely other nations forgot that.

Honestly, I'd have chosen a place like Dawn Station instead. It's still semi-connected to Yamatai, but distant enough to be credibly neutral, and it's fairly well furnished. It's a competent choice that'd shows Yamatai is being sober, merans business, and respects other nations enough to stage someplace credible as neutral ground.

Once the Neshies make official contact, they could provide that neutral location (not on their world, but rather aboard a civilian space station that can serve as a trading post and diplomatic venture before entering Neshie space) after all, so far my players have made it clear to me that they don't want actual alliances, just that the faction should remain neutral.

Well, the Gartagens don't have any issues with Yamatai. In respect to Matt, considering the growing political friendship between the Garts and the ASE, it might be prudent to send in a big name. Though Vishta likely will not be attending this year.

But since Yamatai is hosting the event it seems reasonable for one of the other groups to select primary discussion.

Since I see no body actually stepping up in that Reguards, I will.

The Gartagens are likely going to push squashing old grievances and fostering a new age of interstellar cooperation. OOCLY, everybody just got out of a nightmarish war with the NMX, and the dick waving has clearly won nobody anything.

Also, I am pushing letting another faction actually host the IRC. Yamatai has shown it self a poor diplomat in the past, and considering the GREAT NOTHING of the last IRC it might be prudent to try something different this time around.

Lets tell a story people, and lets be good about it. Basically I am suggesting we use this IRC to really set the tone for the new year, and how this great RPG has really grown and matured.

The reason it's on Yamatai is because Yamatai runs the event. They started it and have always hosted it. The IRC came about after the Freespacer genocide incident six years ago as a way to foster better relationships with neighbor nations, because at the time they were at an all-time low. It's important to Yamatai that we get to show ourselves off as good hosts and treat the other national leaders to a great experience during their visit. Yamatai doesn't want to be a stranger. I'm definitely willing to entertain the idea of starting to rotate the IRC to different host cities each year, but not before we host one at Kyoto. For other nations to host, they just need a safe site with embassy space and conference facilities. The Gartagens were the first to express interest so the ball is in their court for YE 37. Besides, Reikan park is an ideal space because nations have their embassies on-site; in fact, it's the ONLY embassy park/row in the SARP right now and any nation that doesn't have one yet can build one there for the event.

Except that the Jaspis Trade page is listed as Unapproved and the embassy links are just red links. And I do not see a Approved thread for that location.

The Union also has an Embassy park. Because of the Abwehran, and Yamataian embassy located on their home world.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back