• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

OOC Conference Discussion

I ask everyone to please be patient with me today. I'm swamped with stories and can't get to the IRC (forum or chat).

Politics are fun when they're dramatic, but it's getting to be a bit too bombastic for my tastes.

I don't like it that I cringe when reading some of these aggressive stances that are being stated.

Well... I hope you at least feel it's complimentary that your tenure as Premier with Robert Davis is still remembered today.

Reactions: Wes
^ This

I figured it would be lame if this IRC wasn't controversial, but this treaty was a major thing worked on in the background. I realized that keeping it so hush-hush ICly from Yamatai would make it look like Lor and Nep were plotting something detrimental, but it was more just kept quiet so that it would be a pretty big reveal.

I feel like pulling my hair - my page doesn't refresh right for some reason, and I keep seeing new posts after I make my own!

Last edited:
I just want to say that the Groupthink is an actual psychological pattern. It is something I spent a whole day learning about and ways to prevent it happening in classrooms.

And I have to say, it is happening at this IRC and it is happening BAD. Diplomacy has already broken down. The Abs and Iroma are simply reinforcing each other's opinions. The Neps and Lorath the same thing. The Yamataians and HSC.

Sure, you can blame Neps and Lorath for making reparations the first order of business but I don't see the Iroma or Abs engaging in meaningful diplomacy. Just griping and judging like high school cheerleaders commenting on who's a bigger douche. Shall we just call the conference over if this is what the pattern is going to be from here on out? Or can we actually try for diplomacy? Cos if not, I'll just go off and see what kind of havoc a Nepleslian Grand Admiral can wreak in Kyoto with a pocket full of cash and a Marine bodyguard.

Last edited:
You're welcome to continue pushing for the diplomacy with any nation Valken's allowed to talk to, whether it's above-board discussions or gallery-based dealings.

The other nations don't have a lot to work on while the conference is on break. I plan to post a little bit tonight to knock it back on track. Please bear with me here.

Please point out some examples of where actions or thoughts have become dysfunctional or irrational.

From what I can see from the Abwehran / Iroma interaction, it's just commentary more than actual Groupthink. They are the two oldest delegates in the conference, which is bound to lead to them grouping together to make such small talk. Yes, they have a better cohesiveness than the others due to having longer lasting trade agreements and diplomatic relations than they've had with the others. They may even have a bit of Unquestioned belief in their own morality. However, I don't see any other symptoms of Groupthink in their discussion. No illusions of invulnerability, not too much closed-mindedness (though enough due to being long-lived individuals), and the only stereotyping I can find is on levelheadedness. There's no illusion of unanimity (since they have friendly relations) or signs of self-censorship.

The Nepleslian and Lorath aren't dysfunctional in the slightest, even if they are pouncing hard on Yamatai. Their actions might be construed as irrational, but they're mostly playing hard-ball in order to get what they want (which happens in both politics and diplomacy). In essence, they are acting in a Groupthink-esc manner in order to get their own goals accomplished, which often can happen in gatherings such as this.

Yamataians and HSC would be considered close allies (from what I've read), which means Groupthink is quite a possibility --- if the HSC hadn't left the conference over the possibility that their treaties with the YSE are going to suffer over the new treaty the Nepleslians and Lorath forced upon the Yamataians. The only thing I could accuse the HSC delegation is of tactful disagreement towards Yamatai's signing of the treaty than the illusion of unanimity. There's strain in that relationship and no actual symptoms of Groupthink at all.

Overall, I believe you're jumping the gun in your conclusion.

I like these politics.

On a side note however, do you mind if my character runs after yours for a few words @Nashoba ? It's fun to chat with our characters like this, though, I don't know if you're withdrawing her for OOC, IC or both reasons, so I thought it'd be best to ask here first.

EDIT: Nevermind!

Last edited:
Finally going to get us moving today. Apologies for the delays.

With Wes not supporting the treaty at this point, and not willing to discuss it further, I'm going to end the day and let people break for the night onto their own politicking. I'll be posting late tonight, so if anyone has some last bits they want to get in the break thread, please do so by 9 p.m. PDT.

Thanks for sticking around during this time.

Cadet, the Delegation will return the following day. They had IC matters to attend to.

Perhaps the crown could be invited to provide comment and change requests to the treaty.

Ah, thanks for the heads up Nash. Oh, Wes - I still want to hop on that tour. Have to wait for the IC timetable to be right though. XD

Wes: Yuumi will try to move up the timeframe for the other treaty nations to meet with Himiko so things can be appropriately hashed.

@Wes

Right now, I am quite serious about a Nataria Tour Side-RP. It'll likely occur on another day due to timing, so before that, I decided to toss something Luca's way, and it looks like I got a bite - join in man! Make Nibbi jelly! This is the reputation of Yui's Yeoman on the line - she's got to have some Neko-Class firepower in her mind!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…