• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

OOC Conference Discussion

Afraid there isn't anything for poor Vas'Sumera to do except twiddle her thumbs =p

Afraid there isn't anything for poor Vas'Sumera to do except twiddle her thumbs =p
Sorry about that. Hopefully Yamatai beat DATASS soon and we can move on to nation-to-nation stuff. In the meantime, have you thought about a public transportation system between Neshaten planets?

That already exists in the form of the Hin'sha Trade Family, which operates several cruise liners and even shuttles and dropships that ferry people to planets.

An OOC note about the Nepleslian Senate: We have had a few attempts over the years to recreate the in-character senate and each time it's never gotten off the ground due to a lack of player interest. The last attempt was in this thread, last year. Now, at this point there's clearly not enough interest to make a proper player-run senate, but I would like to come out and say that, in character, we do have a senate. Democracy is an important value to Nepleslians, like small government and loose regulations. It's not a libertarian utopia per se, but freedom and representation is an important part of life for Nepleslians. So, here's the first time we've really run into trouble over not having this senate. It's not like we didn't want to-- just that we never had the player interest to run it the way we did. In some of his posts about this, Kampfer has alluded to this in the past.

Now, I'm just going to come out and say it.

We have a senate. We are democratically represented. It is not something within the control of the players-- but only because players have yet to show enough interest in it to do anything other than claim a planet and promise to make a senator when they get around to it. If the players decide they want a senate, I have an old draft of a senate framework that they can make characters for and we can kick up a senate. Until then, the Nepleslian senate is essentially an invisible force that as a setting element will do nothing except silently pass the executive orders handed down by the Sky Marshall-- not to say that they couldn't overturn those orders, only that for expedience sake they will have not.

"This signature starts the process on my end. I'll have to get our constitution changed and convince my Empress and my sister that it's in our best interest." She left out that the treaty was a threatening gun made of words. Yuumi's exact words when she agreed to the Treaty. I don't recall our Constitution being changed.

As for what you said Lamb that's fine. Update the Nepleslian Government page to state that in YE 38 the Government granted the Shy Marshall the power to create Executive Orders. Then you can have him ICly state that he ratifies it. It doesn't change the fact that it was not ratified in YE 36.

Since I can't post in Senate discussion suddenly (can't imagine why, gee), I'll post here. I am furious that you are accusing the players of the LSDF Val'ta to be part of the senate beatup to ratify DATASS.

All I did was make a move, and the rest is my players taking my lead, which I didn't ask for. The rest is paranoia, which I've noted lots of in the last few days over Easter. Why are you placing yourself in a deliberately paranoid situation all the time? Backing out of the treaty only pits everyone other than Yamatai against you, thus satisfying your desire to be paranoid.

Whatever though, I'm just a stupid GM who should stop trying to change the way things are run, because recently this place has been running like a government.

I'm taking another hiatus from this stupid website. If I don't come back one day, it'll your fault. Deal with it. Stop calling me 'the best GM' if you aren't going to respect my decisions.

@Luca I temporarily locked you out of that thread because you were making drama posts in it, going after me personally, etc. You're getting far too emotional about this. I'm worried about you. Can we talk privately sometime soon?

Yamatai wants to make new treaties to continue peace with Nepleslia and Lor so I don't see how this is "pitting them against us." I'm just trying to set things up where Yamatai can have its wars against the Mishhu, Kuvexians, etc without having to worry about dragging other played factions into them via the treaty, because OOC there's no interest in a setting-wide metaplot. It's a necessary thing for the YSE. My faction can't move forward without it. Chill out everybody.

"This signature starts the process on my end. I'll have to get our constitution changed and convince my Empress and my sister that it's in our best interest." She left out that the treaty was a threatening gun made of words. Yuumi's exact words when she agreed to the Treaty. I don't recall our Constitution being changed.
Aha, a fair point, Nash! Yet Yuumi says that now she doesn't have to change the constitution at all, and by a certain reading, she's right.

Politics! Who'd have thought it possible.

I've started work on one of the replacement treaties: Here's the one for YSE-Lor. Importantly, the treaty has the officer exchange program in it, which is vital for @Luca's LSDF Valta plot's stability.

Suggestions are welcome.

I've started work on one of the replacement treaties: Here's the one for YSE-Lor. Importantly, the treaty has the officer exchange program in it, which is vital for @Luca's LSDF Valta plot's stability.

Suggestions are welcome.

MFW
Subjective terminology 'reasonable territorial claims'.
Proposed border lines.
Subjective terminology for 'reasonable searches'
Even division of Siren mining resources (Divide area, not 'resources').
Permission for military ships to romp about under the excuse of 'military operation'
Obligation to work together when 'safety and security of this area of space is at risk', very subjective, and far too binding.

It is simply a lackluster treaty, that would be foolish to sign considering Yamatai's track record.

Doc, I don't believe @Wes ever said that the document was complete. He clearly said he Started work on it. Which means you are the representative for Lor have every right to add specifics that address your issues.

The border line is the same one we've had since 2014.

YAM-LOR joint taskforce to suppress the Sessesstran threat when?

(Also will try to look at the treaty some time today.)

I'm going to say it here, because I don't know where else to say it.

Details. In treaties. Annoy me. It's the reason Kotori will dump that problem on someone else when the time comes, I swear.

@paladinrpg in the yamataian senate alluded to some #41 clause in the treaty, which had me do a double take and remember oh yeah, this thing has more than 40 items. That I couldn't be hassled to read. At all. I figured, common sense stuff and all, we're allied (or we were), yipee, kumbaya. I'm a pretty big Trek fan too, but I don't really delve in the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition either. It then crosses my mind that I'm not a lawyer, I'm hardly an expert at rule making... and I thought this was a soft sci-fi roleplay setting? Isn't delving minutely in details in this fashion somewhat hardcore?

Now, in DocTomoe's card-crushing post (I don't know why that was even a thing, posted, or relevant in any way) I see the startup treaty blurb @Wes made critiqued for being subjective, lackluster, etcetera... and actually, I'm fine with that level of detail. I find it concise, easy to understand, and while I do get that there's going to be negociation/haggling to adjust/contingent/add to it... I don't see why it really needs to become so expansive as the previous treaty was. I don't think we need this much small print. I don't think the small print translates of is conductive to fun roleplaying.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back