Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: SRSS Yggdrasill Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hmm..." Toshiro said, noting a bulge in the nebula which glowed with a faint, red, light...

"Slow to STL...there's a star at the very edge of the nebula...standard nebula composition. Please take us into the nebula, keep a close eye on sensors."

Aendri obeyed, shifting course, then slowing the ship, setting the course to send them into an orbit at a good distance. As he did this, he let his eyes drift to the sensors, taking in the readings as he worked. After he finished he focused his attention entirely on the sensors, watching for anomalies of any kind.

Shinji's voice crackled to life near Kenji on the Srss Leviathan, along with a small image of his grinning mug. "I could prolly make 'er go faster, but she'd only do it once" the yamataian said, a mischievous grin on his face. "Course then we'd need a new ship, but, hey, maybe we'd get a faster one!" his joke over, the jovial face receded back into nothingness, but continued beaming in the reality of the visage, back on the Yggdrasill.

Toshiro thought a moment, giving a small smile.

Do it and you owe me about 150,000 KS...that's how much it cost to buy and Customize the Leviathan. I didn't buy it to be a firecracker to set this nebula on fire, Shinji. Please control yourself."

He smiled, letting the demolitions expert know that he was kidding...

"Hmm...I'm detecting a...space inside the nebula around the star...as if it were a geode...I wonder what causes this..."

Eve was staring at the scanners as they read out information to her. Shaun stood up walking down next to Ken. "Hold on a second Ken." Shaun reached forward opening a video feed to Yggdrasill.

He pointed to the Nebula on screen. "I've got a weird feeling about that sir. If we head in I suggest keeping the weapon systems warm. Don't know what we might find in there."

Aendri looked back at Toshiro. "Sir, Shaun's suggestion seems wise. I don't know what to make of the sensor readings, and we don't know what's out here, so I think that we should make ready for combat, though not in a threatening way, if you catch my meaning."

"Sure thing, Commie" Shinji replied with an understanding wink. "You want I should hail any ships we fin, or do ya think someone else could do a better job?" lowering his voice, he continued "I've been told my accent can be a little hard ta pick up on by aliens 'n such." with a sheepish grin.

Toshiro thought for a moment...

"Remember gentlemen, We're the aliens here, should we actually find something here...ready secondary weapons and shielding systems, but keep our main weapons systems offline."

The Yggdrasill emerged into the nebula geode, and Toshiro stood in his chair, staring at the sight before him...a red giant.

"...I see a red giant, 2.3 AU wide....numerous asteroids...and two planets, both within the distances appropriate for liquid water. No ships...it seems the gases of the nebula were displaced in the transformation of the star to its Red Stage...the light gasses in this part of the nebula have been held back by solar wind ever since...remarkable..."

"Red giant...I'm no star genius, but we should be careful about that. I don't remember much, but shouldn't it be novaing at any time?" Kenji asked, rolling his eyes at Shinji. He had slowed down so that he would be right behind the better armed Yggdrasil.

"Hmm...according to these readings and the nebula gas imbalance...it seems that this star only went red a few million years ago or so...the star is actually fairly stable, and should exist at least another 10 million years, bare minimum. Possibly 100 million years if we're lucky. Besides, not all stars go supernova. This one has insufficient mass. It will just lose its outer layer and become a White Dwarf. We're fine..."

Toshiro said, smiling at the discovery...

"Still, it means these planets don't have enough time to evolve life beyond microbial...but...one seems to have advanced plant life. That's HIGHLY unusual..."

"That's interesting. I say we have someone go down in an Iron man and a shuttle to see whats down there." Kenji said, nodding to himself. "That way, if there IS something toxic down there, they will be protected, and we don't have to worry about subjecting the ships to that."

"Hmm...possible...but perhaps it'd be better to go in orbit and make preliminary scans of the planets, searching for contaminants...in the meantime, I have an announcement to make to claim this system...I hope no one minds if I name this system after my brother?"

He asked, smiling a bit...

Lyshana contacts Toshi "Are the feeds I'm getting from the scanner correct?" She asks, "Is the entire planet some sort of odd vegitation?" she seems to be drooling

"It seems like it, Lyshana-Hakase...there seems to be a HUGE tree at the plant's North Pole...over...5 km tall. The planet shows remarkably high oxygen levels, understandably so, and no real contaminants. Even the oceans are hidden by the leaves of plantlife...

It seems that particular type of plantlife and any symbiotic microscopic life are the only type of life on that world...we're debating on sending someone down or waiting for more thorough scans."

Toshiro knew the doctor would be KEENLY interested in this development...

"Ken keep us between that planet and the Yggdrasill. Something about this system still bugs me and if we take a surprise attack, we should be ready to intercept."

Eve had stood up and made her way up to Shaun's chair as he stood talking to Ken. She sat down and messed with the com's "Captain, I can go down and take a look if you'd like. If something happened I could transfer back to the ship's computer and save myself."

Toshiro watched the Leviathan move between the planet and the Yggdrasill and overhearing Ken's order.

"Shaun, pull back. If there IS something down there, the Yggdrasill is more suited to dodge and respond to an attack. It's WE who should be defending YOU, ne?"

"yeah, if anyone's gonna blow up one'f our ships it'll be me, 'kay?" Shinji said, quickly waving his hands and making a wierd little face towards Toshiro so the commodore would know he's joking. "So stay safe and behind us" he finished. he began looking at some of the computerized images coming up from data gathered by the scans " Oi, this's a cool place, commie" he commented.

"Little point to having a fleet if the flag ship has to protect the rest Captain" Shaun walked back to his seat staring at Eve. She gave a small grin before getting out of the seat. Sitting down Shaun folded his arms. "Besides.....this ship has more mass and it would be bad if we got caught in that Red Dwarf's gravity belt and dragged into you."

Eve stared at Shaun confused "wha?"

Toshiro paused for a moment, before replying...

"Um...sorry Shaun, but that made absolutely no sense whatsoever...in the meantime..."

Toshiro stood, and opened a channel to the Yamataian, Nepleslian, Elysian, and Lorath Governments...

To:
Star Army of Yamatai
Democratic Imperium of Nepleslia
Elysian Celestial Empire
Lorath Matriarchy

Greetings. I am Commodore Yuki Toshiro of the civilian Yggdrasill Fleet. I am contacting you because we have discovered and hereby lay claim to the system which I have named 'Kenichi's Star', consisting of a Red Giant, massive numbers of asteroids, and two planets with liquid water. Neither has sentient life, though one has an odd form of plant life which has completely covered its surface. Origin undetermined.

I am a Yamataian, but am contacting these four nations because I have crew who represent them, and wish to be certain that you are all informed of the claim if necessary by your respective laws.

The location of the planet is 15.2 LY distant from Yamatai. It is 21 degrees west of Galactic North, and 3 degrees from the galactic plane.

fetch.php

Yuki Toshiro, Commodore
SRSS-000 through SRSS-005
Yggdrasill Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back