Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: SRSS Yggdrasill Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.
INCOMING TRANSMISSION said:
Hello Captain Toshiro,

This is Taisa Hanako. I wish to inform you that my ship, Eucharis, has entered the system at the behest of the Empress and will be conducting scans as well as launching marker buoys. Please notify me if your exploration efforts require any assistance from me.

I would also like to arrange a meeting with you to discuss the claiming of this system.

Toshiro blinked at the transmission, remembering that name...

"Taisa Ketsurui Hanako...we ran into her at Lor when we initiated First Contact with Maras..."

He opened a channel to the Eucharis, before speaking.

"Greetings, Ketsurui-Taisa. I remember you from that situation at Lor...but anyway, we welcome your efforts. The SRSS Leviathan, commanded by my second, is in orbit around the plant-ridden world, second in orbit, while we are on the other side of the system. We can certainly meet, and were about to issue orders as to who would explore what.

You caught the Yggdrasill just in time. We were going to leave Leviathan behind and investigate a radio signal elsewhere, but it can wait a bit, certainly.

If needed, we have three Ke-F8 units board the Leviathan, the SRSS Alucard, as well as shuttles and Power Armor which can be utilized, though we currently lack the crew to man them all...as for meeting, I'll allow you to dictate the arrangements of that."

Hanako said:
I will send a shuttle over to pick you up, Toshiro, if that is alright.

Yggdrasill soon signaled Eucharis, indicating affirmative, and Toshiro proceeded to the shuttlebay.

"Shaun, you're in command of the fleet for the moment. I'm meeting with the Taisa."

After a few minutes, Toshiro returned, and flopped in the CO's chair with a sigh...

"Yggdrasill to all hands...as I am a Yamataian civilian, Yamatai has claimed the system for itself, claiming that is it illegal for us to claim systems ourselves...Ketsurui-Taisa will atempt to secure for us the mineral rights, in an arrangement similar to that of Novacorp's, however...so we may still have the ability to control that this system's resources are not used in ways we disagree with."

He continued to speak, after a moment.

"She and the YSS Eucharis will accompany us to follow the radio signal now...we will investigate this Star System later. Now that Yamatai has the claim, the urgency is less than it was before. All hands prepare for FTL. We will take different routes and collect radio data, then combine our findings from different vectors for a more clear language sample for Yggdrasill and MEGAMI to study. All hands acknowledge."

"That's never fun," a feminine voice whispered to Toshiro. The voice sounded like something whispered into the wind.

Toshiro blinked at the sound of the voice...it didn't seem telepathic, so he looked around...and saw no one to match the voice. No female was on the bridge, and it wasn't the voice of his crew, nor Hanako, but it WAS familiar...

Yggdrasill...did you detect that? he telepathically queried the living computer.

Affirmative. Audio anomaly detected, source unknown...what was that, Father?

No idea, but it was familiar...

Toshiro could almost get the impression that there was someone standing behind him with their arms over his shoulders. "It'll be all right though, Hinosami isn't a bad girl," the voice whispered very quietly into his ear again so no one else on the bridge but him could hear her.

Yggdrasill's voice kicked on, scanning its databanks.

"Scanning for name 'Hinosami' with relevance to current situation...result found. Archaic name for Taisa Ketsurui Hanako. Used until YE 27."

Toshiro blinked, telepathically thanking the sentient machine for its initiative...though he wished it had told him telepathically.

...A disembodied voice who refers to people as they were years ago? ...Is that you, Chiharu-sama?

"Oh right... she's Hanako now," the voice replied telepathically. "I keep forgetting." The voice sounded more.. solid now though the feeling of a person hanging around Toshiro's shoulders hadn't quite gone away. "It's easy to lose track of time... especially when I don't exist, but yes, it's me. Are you excited about this discovery?"

Yes...though I am concerned about what will happen if Yamatai claims these people, if they are there...the last time I participated in a First Contact with Ketsurui-Taisa, her crew was...quite irresponsible. It was a self-aware starship made of organic matter...and her pilot commandeered it and took it on a joyride...I'm trying to trust her, but...am having trouble.

Toshiro replied, via telepathy...

Toshiro could sense that Chiharu was frowning behind him. "That's very distressing. Perhaps, current events will help guide her towards something more sensible. How long ago was the other encounter? Perhaps she's grown since then?" She asked curiously into Toshiro's mind.

Perhaps a month or two... He replied, with an internal sigh.

"A lot can happen in a couple of months," Chiharu replied hopefully. "Sorry for the scare, I'm just peeking in. Think of it as talking to the television screen but... the people on the screen can hear you."

It must be interesting to watch from outside...what's it like, anyway? being dead, transcended, or whatever you call it?

It varies from person to person. Not many people stick around here though I'm sure that some do. I have just... never encountered them. It's frustrating and refreshing all at once, she replied again. It still felt like she was leaning on him with her arms around his shoulders. I don't do much interacting these days. I just watch if I'm not just... floating around, I guess if the best way of pointing it.

It must be boring...well, you're welcome to stick around here if you want. He sent the Neko's spirit, feeling oddly at ease, in the simple hug-like gesture...

Thank you, I'll be around. I better stop distracting you and let you get back to work, the voice said again. There was a sensation of warmth breath on Toshiro's right cheek and a soft, gentle amount of pressure there as well before the voice and the presence were gone again.

Toshiro gave a very slight sigh of comfort...for some reason, he had a very deep trust for Chiharu...was it because she was a war heroine, or was it just how she carried herself?

Figuring he could only do his best, he decided to take Chiharu's advice.

"...Signal readiness and initiate FTL as soon as everyone shows ready."

Shaun sighed scratching the back of his head. "Sorry Ken, I wouldn't object to you going myself but if something happened while they were still planetside I'd be between a rock and a hard place getting the ship around alone. Unless of course if Eve-"

"gona go get ready!" shouted Eve as she bolted out of the room, knowing full well what Shaun was going to suggested. Wasn't about to skip out on the chance to explore a new planet.

Lyshana was blissfully unaware of the situation with the Yamata ship, getting her tools together, and stabalising her prototype ship security system, based off of the lymph system. Then she headed to the shuttle bay, so she could land and explore

Shinji soon returned to the Yggdrasill's bridge, his pants strangely light and empty. "Allright, Commie, I'm all ready fer diplomacy 'n stuff" he said, sitting back in the chair that he seemed to usually occupy.

Toshiro noted the continued preparations for the planet by he Sojourner...and the fact that Hanako had sped off and left them behind.

DAMN!, he inwardly thought.

"Stop with the planet departure preparations immediately and follow her! I don't trust her to the first contact scenario alone!"

The Yggdrasill and Leviathan kicked into FTL, speeding toward the star system...

When she arrived, she began an active scan of the system, to get a general idea of he system's configuration...the Yggdrassil had also compiled a library of language, and it did not detect the Eucharis...

"...Where is she? Ketsurui-Taisa's ship is much faster than ours...did she slow down for us? ...You don't think she already landed, do you?"

He reclined in his seat.

"...Next time, I initiate First Contact BEFORE reporting it to Yamatai. Imagine just leaving us in the dust after I voiced my concerns about last time...like racing to pick new kids up for sides in sports, these First Contact scenarios..."

He opened a channel and began to issue a strong radio broadcast as the Yggdrasill moved inward into the system.

"Greetings. This Commodore Yuki Toshiro of ship Yggdrasill. We locate you by radio waves from 35 Light Years. Translate your language through radio broadcasts, and come to make peaceful First Contact."

"Hmm? Eucharis is around here after all..." Toshiro said, receiving a message, indicating the presence of a possible hostil, and a primitive alien spaceship.

"...She's right, they DO have a spaceship here..."

The ship was studying the Azorean moons, it seemed, and within range of the radio broadcasts...the Yggdrasill began to move toward the ship, only sending a tight beam acknowledgment signal to Eucharis.

The Yggdrasill switched her mass and gravimetric scanners to a finer scan, in an effort to detect the possible unfriendly vessel.

They found nothing...but they DID detect the Eucharis speeding toward the planet...they recieved a broadcast, from Hanako to the planet, in Azorean.

"Hello friends! My name is Hanako, from Yamatai, and I am pleased to visit your world. My space ship will be landing on your planet in a moment and I will be most pleased to meet you."

"...That's...presumptuous...I'd ASK for permission to land...and WHERE will she land? I'm detecting water all over the planet save for a select few structures..."

He sent a transmission to her...though he knew that technically, he had no place to criticize her, he was the only one here to do so.

"Ketsurui-Taisa, is that a good idea? There aren't many places to land in such a world, and shouldn't you ask for permission to land regardless? If you don't do this more carefully, you could cause mass panic for them in you just swoop on in...

If they are truly such a young civilization to be only now engaging in spaceflight, then their society could easily be damaged by such an act. That's why I chose their ship--it is no doubt a vessel of their government, which the broadcast data confirms.

I don't want to tell you how to do your job...but this should be about introducing them into the universe in the most constructive and transitional way possible, should it not?"

He inwardly sighed.

It's as I feared, Chiharu-sama...she's as reckless and impulsive as last time...was this kind of diplomacy common during your tenure as well?

"You talk to the ship," Hanako told Toshiro. "I will seek out their leaders. I know I am probably interrupting their daily schedule, but I think it will work out. I did let them know that I am coming."

"True, but can your vessel submerge? Do the leaders want their people to panic seeing a spacecraft, or announce your arrival to their people by being contacted before you arrive? Your actions may have far-reaching implications...ignoring all of that, if an alien vessel suddenly announced it was charging into Yamatai's atmosphere and landing in Kyoto, wouldn't you fire on it?"
He said, in an almost panicked voice.

Communication with Ygg cut out as Eucharis entered the upper atmosphere of Azorea...but Toshiro's facewas one of concern, and she could perhaps even detect a bit of anger...

As his communications with Eucharis cut out, he did all he could do...try to contact her superior and inform them of the situation.

She'd already left him to pick up the pieces after the Maras incident...and he felt obligated to prevent mistakes from happening a second time.

The voice whispered in Toshiro's mind again, "We didn't use much diplomacy at all. During my tenure, we hadn't encountered many new races outside of my crew...nothing like this. We were too wrapped up in our war with Elysia to sit down and try peace talks. I only hope this doesn't ruin what the other children are doing at their conference."

Unacceptable.

Toshiro issued, telepatthically.

I'll need your help then, to make a proposal for the standardization of First Contact scenarios...and tops on the list would be no spying or aggression between signers within a half light-year of the system.

"I'll do what I can to help. Now is the time to start thinking it but it seems you'll have your hands full with damage control of this current scenario if it is even in your hands. You might have a chance to save it... but it is lucky it was Nepleslia and not one of these... Azorean ships. That'd be an act of war... but... this doesn't make things any better," the voice responded in the young captain's head again. She was obviously as displeased with it as Toshiro himself.

Oh, I fully intend to make this a priority, for the sake of these people. Fortunately, my Yamataian brain is designed to multi task...the new Geshrin upgrade has certain Nekovalkryja elements incorporated into it.

"Belay that" Lyshana orders when she hears preparations are stopped... but it's too late, they're off. Soon they're orbiting the new planet. Boiling with anger at the change in plans, S]she sends a message to Toshiro.

"TOSHIRO, what the heck!? Why are we moving! I wanted to explore that planet! Now what are we going to do?! Rrrrr! I demand permission to explore the bioscape of this new planet!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back