• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Cranth Industries

Aendri

Inactive Member
'hokay, so. Two things up for approval here, a company, and their first design. I really would appreciate some advice on the company, like whether it could use some more fleshing out, and if so where, and the like. Gun should be fine, though if I forgot anything, please point it out. I have this feeling there's something very obvious I'm missing.

Cranth Industries

LSSR-01a 'Wasp'

I'd also like a tip on how to put them in the right namespace, since I'm not too sure on that.

Right off the bat. The nomenclature. Make sure your | | are evenly spaced with the text to get it to settle in the middle. Do you plan on adding an insignia at the top of the page? I noticed a opening for what could be for just that.

Also. Who is Samuel? If you have something on the character, please link to it. If not. A brief explanation as to who he is, etc etc would be nice. You know. Baseline stuff.

Your rifle is...surprising. The ROF, velocity etc etc needs to be fixed. Including info on the barrel and so on.

Something like this.

* Rate of Fire: <Insert Number here.>\

-------

It'd be ideal to keep the ranges together instead of separate. Also. How exactly are you getting 6,000 m/s with only mid-range recoil? I'm going to take a stab at it and say. If you fired this thing. You'd dislocate your shoulder or worse. Most modern sniper rifles are sitting at the 800 m/s range with. The damage ratings are also questionable given it seems to fire a standard bullet.

What type of caliber is this thing firing?

You also say it has "limited anti-armor capability" but it packs the wallop of a standard miniature missile on a PA. Hence, why I'm questioning this highly. Not even the Longbow dishes anti-armor damage and that last round is nearly autocannon size.

I suggest you get on the horn and speak to either Doshii or Kampfer. As they are our resident gun guys.

Nomenclature fixed. Yes, I do plan on adding insignia at some point, I just don't have a computer with any kind of program to do it yet.

Sam is a random name I pulled out of my head. If you want, I can throw a simple page together for him, or whatever you think would be appropriate.

Muzzle velocity is halved. I've been thinking about a way to put in a light-weight counter recoil system. Any suggestions?

Caliber would be up to suggestion. I'm not sure what a reasonable caliber would be. I was thinking somewhere around .40, .42. As to why it has anti-armor capabilities, that's only for the AP and Sabot rounds. Both of those are specialized rounds, which would be prone to over-penetration. They would do damage to armor, but not major. They're meant for precision shots, not generalized body shots. You know, head or vital organ. They have higher damage capacity, but are very limited in what they effect.

I'll try and catch them online as soon as I can to keep working on this though.

A few important details.

Where is this Company, what planet, what city? Who is their target customer?

Also why is the main weapon priced in DA, but the accessories are in KS?

Woops. Missed the money mistake.

As for where it is, it's wherever Sam is at any given time. It's an intellectual properties company which currently consists of one person: him. There are no production facilities, or offices.

Target customer would be anyone who would like to purchase the rights to the designs. Primarily companies like Origin, NAM, and other military companies.

In order for something chemically propelled like this. I can't see any round going above PDR5/ADR1. 2 is pushing it and would likely shatter your bones unless you reduce recoil or bolt it to something to absorb that. I think before you go any further. Talk to Doshii or Kampfer. Ask if one of them can look it over and go from there.

Unless this company is making single piece orders, it has to have a facility somewhere. You can't just crank out military grade firearms in your garage.

Nash, it doesn't produce anything. Think copyright. Samuel designs stuff, and then sells the rights to his designs. He doesn't have enough money to run production yet.

Soresu, the Zweihander has ADR1, and it's round isn't AP. It has lower penetration capacity then the gun I'm suggesting, but does the same damage? If I made the change you're suggesting, that would be true. Also consider that my gun's range is shorter then that of the Zweihander, limiting it's use.

Then they still have to have some sort of workshop in which to develop and test their designs. Could just be something on a ship, but it should be noted in the page where they do their work. You can't design a gun on paper and just sell the plan. Customers are going to want to see a working prototype. ;)

Hey, Aendri, what are your plans for this company, in the future? nothing to do with the approval, i'd just like to know what you're planning.

Nothing specific. It's at least partially so I have a company to sell my ideas through, but I might expand it later if I feel like I could go somewhere with it.

Oh, and ship edited in.

hmm. Reading over your article, I do have two things to say (If I'm allowed to say them here)

If you just need a place to design guns with, origin is always looking, and you can keep your NPC if you'd like to and whatnot.

alternatively, Origin does have retail space available on Dawn Station where he could set up a shop.

Okay folks, the company page is Approved.

So any further discussion should be kept to the weapon itself.

Aendri said:
Nash, it doesn't produce anything. Think copyright. Samuel designs stuff, and then sells the rights to his designs. He doesn't have enough money to run production yet.

Soresu, the Zweihander has ADR1, and it's round isn't AP. It has lower penetration capacity then the gun I'm suggesting, but does the same damage? If I made the change you're suggesting, that would be true. Also consider that my gun's range is shorter then that of the Zweihander, limiting it's use.

The Zweihander is a mass driver. Firing at 5km/s Which is 5,000 m/s. It is easily capable of doing this. Yours however is a chemically propelled round. Meaning. There is only so much powder to pack into the cartridge before it explodes, or the cartridge you want to use won't fit due to too much gunpowder. Which would mean you'd have to scale up.

So what I am trying to tell you is. "There is only so much you can do before it becomes questionable with this type of weapon." I just can't imagine this hitting with the force of a miniature missile packed with a small amount of high explosive, unless it is a specialty weapon designed to do that. Even then it'd be put to the question.

You also call it a "Light Scout Sniper Rifle." This implies anti-personnel. Not armor. And gives the impression "It's more, but not." Light Scout tells me it is supposed to be light, cause moderate damage and not be an anti-material rifle. This is how I feel when I am approaching this from a reader's prospective on the article. So, I would make the suggestion of re-prioritizing your rifle's role a little to better fit with something a little toned down.

Except that there are undoubtedly chemical propellants better suited to being used out there. And we're set thousands, if not millions. of years into the future of today. Restraining a gun to today's standards of limits makes absolutely no sense.

Actually. It does. This is starting to wear on about this gun. And I'm simply telling you. There is only so much that can be done before you have to scale up. Be it a specialty rifle, or a mass driver. I've been fairly patient on this, Aendri if other rifles on the setting that use actual bullets and gun powder then this should conform just like the others. Unless you feel it necessary to also include a new form of chemical propellant as well. If not. Then being reasonable about damage scales would be in your best interest. One little point does nothing to harm this.

I've suggested you speak to Doshii or Kampfer on the matter. I'd still do so as they have a fairly firm grasp on this subject and could help out your rifle immensely if you gave them the chance.

The rifle is Pending.

Soresu, at no point have I said I'm not going to talk to them. I am. But some of the points you're making just aren't consistent with the stuff already in the setting.

If you bring up recoil, how about the HPAR? If my gun has enough kick based on muzzle velocity to easily break an arm, I find it hard to believe that a gun with 1000 m/s more muzzle velocity can be fired at a rate of 7 rounds per second without doing as much, or more damage. Even if it is meant to be used in a PA, that's recoil from 420 rounds in a minute, all of them hitting back 1000 m/s harder then my gun. That would shatter the armor if we're going off of what you're saying. I mean, the M82 only has a muzzle velocity of 850 m/s. That can severely damage a truck, and you're saying a gun which has a 5 times higher muzzle velocity can be fired on full auto for a whole minute without breaking an armor?

I am willing to edit my muzzle velocity, it just seems like some submissions are being overly limited.

I am sorry if that came off a bit like a rant.

Intended use is for Nepleslian powered armors, but due to its independent-system nature, can be used by others as well.

Recoil: Heavy. Nearly impossible for unenhanced Nepleslians to wield for weight alone, let alone the recoil of the weapon. Recoil in armor, however, is minimized by a large degree, but still has a bit of a kick to it.

It's an Armor Carried Rifle. :| You're making a rifle carried by people. It also fires a jet of super-heated metal.

That should be reason enough to lower you rifle by a single point, Aendri. It isn't such a big deal. Just because it is "Future" doesn't mean bullets and gunpowder have suddenly come full-tilt in being able to compare to down PA's and starships without being big in turn.

Trucks also don't have metamaterials used in their construction.

Also. Why do you have a Sabot round specifically?

Remember yours is carried by a person without enhanced physical strength via a powered armor. The Wasp is meant to be carried by an actual person. So the more power you put into this thing, the greater it will recoil unassisted.

Examples:

The Longbow uses what is close to a Autocannon Round. And only does PDR 4. And it has a lot of kick. For emphasis on how big of a round we're talking. Here is what one looks like. Link

You, want your rifle to have the punch of something like a rocket. Or in the case of the damage scale. A 'mini-missile'. So. Going by the damage scale, your rifle has more power then a grenade and a RPG (Rocket Propelled-Grenade). I find it very, very questionable.

Even at PDR 5 I'm sitting here wondering on it. But ADR 2 is going too far and no amount of arguing will change my decision on the matter. It is still pending.

And erm. Something I forgot to mention. Your rifle, it needs art. ^^; It's a requirement. If you need something done, a quick MSpaint job or DoGa'll do the trick. Plus, we have a few people on here who do that kind of thing and would be able to assist if necessary.

well, the Armors that use it are extremely heavily constructed of metamaterials which are many times stronger than modern materials. also, since the HPAR fires a molten metal liquid, using a nontraditional firing method, as opposed to firing a solid slug with chemical powders, it does make a very large difference.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back