• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP [Crew 32] Job 1 - Getting the Gang Together

Daniel sat on to a stool near Ruby and raised his first two fingers up in acceptance of the offered drink. He grabbed his thoroughly chewed root from his mouth and tossed it in to a disposable bin. "Well, I grew up here on Delsauria just outside Juhana, a simple root farm but I love it here," Daniel said with a nod of thanks for the drink.

"I've been off world working various jobs and had just come back to visit my mum and sis. My sis is the one who told me of this offer so thanks."

Lazarus considered it, though as much as he wanted a drink. Well it might be best to wait to see how trust worthy these people were.

"I've been around many places, I can't really say I am from any singular place. I am a man however who performs a wide range of services, from security to the highly dangerous. I don't do this for money, or fame, as before. I do work to avoid boredom, and I'm willing to help finance things you need during my...employment here.", He said wording his speech very specifically as well as thoughtfully.

Raspooten had given a nod when Ruby wordlessly asked who wanted a drink, he stood there somewhat awkwardly as everybody introduced themselves a little further - or in the case of 'Smith', just made a simple question impossibly vague, hell he could've drawn less attention with a car-battery strapped to his ni-

The drink arrived, the hulking Nerimium man stayed standing so as to not break too much of the furniture and carefully picked up the glass with his clunky-looking fingers, that face-plate popped open once more to casually reveal the skull that opened its jaw and let the alcohol slide down what little of his gullet was left before it sat in his gut. While he didn't exactly need to consume food of any sort to stay alive any more, he had to say that having a little something every now and then was nice - even if he did have to empty the waste through a pipe.

"Here, there, everywhere - I haven't really ever needed a place to call come , seeing as I'm almost always on the move for one reason or another" the 'spacer spoke, skull moving in time with the words as he put the glass back down and sealed his faceplate back up again.

"Like mister fake-identity-son over here I'm not exactly low on cash right now, fate and a gust of wind that shoved one of your posters in my face dragged me here to fight boredom," he, it, the thing with a male-sounding voice continued to speak, resting up against a load-bearing wall as it seemed like the safest bet for him.

"Talk about invasive advertising but you seem like nice enough people so if I have to drop a bit of my own money here and there then I'm not going to complain - I only really use it for ammo and spare parts anyway, speaking of which, I'll go grab a new section of hosing and some fittings tomorrow, guess I'll just have to keep veting every now and then," Raspooten finally finished explaining where he came from, what his intentions were and some of his thoughts that had the 'spacer had vocalised.

Bar - Upstairs, 22:00

Ruby's expression turned a little exasperated when the skeleton robot man started mocking the stranger stranger, as she liked to call them in her mind. Sure they had all only just met but wasn't it a little too early to be trying to start fights?! "Uhh hey gu-" however she didn't get a chance to finish as Emma joined them and cast a steely eyed gaze across their little group.

"Everything ok up here Ruby? You look like you just saw someone get run through." The leader casually asked, directing her attention to the spacer and the covered man. They weren't children but nor was any creature in this universe perfect, so she said nothing about the slight comment and instead sat down beside Daniel and received her own drink with a nod of thanks to the younger girl who had begun to compose herself. "So from what I've heard so far it seems like one way or another fate happened to bring you all together and delivered you to our needy doorstep on the same night," She took a long sip from her glass, not quite draining it before setting it back on the bar. "Although out here we usually don't believe in fate and destiny crap, so I'll just assume that you all just have exceptionally poor timing."

The Delsaurian grinned and downed the last of her glass, "After all, we could have used this many people weeks ago but you kept us waiting and tested our mettle yet again." She laughed a little, clearly loosening up a little since most of the formalities were out of the way. "Anyway it's great to meet all of you and hopefully this strange 'saviour' will turn up later and we can see what he's all about, and maybe even the guy from outside that Sam went to get. As for spending your own coin on our little operation, I won't stop you from buying your own supplies, gear or anything else nor will I demand you share with everyone it's completely up to you."

Daniel raised his glass, "To poor timing." He grinned and took a long swig. He was not much of a drinker, seeing as Delsauria was a hot planet it tended to dehydrate you faster, either way he sure wanted to show his gratitude to these folks for their initiative and welcome.

Being a relative Delsaurian native he had no problems with the larger dinosaur type people. In fact, he totally supported them and their strive to retain at least a little of their culture in the face of the Nepleslian machine. It was hard growing up on a relatively newly Nepleslian colonized planet, at first most were looked at harshly by the natives but they came around seeing that some families really were there to help and live their lives.

"So what work do you have for us? Is it planet side," asked the survivalist.

"The first job is yes, and quite possibly the second and third as currently we do not own a ship nor is there any jobs we can take on right now aboard a ship." Emma replied to the man, now taking a good look at his appearance and attire. It looked like he'd lived a lot of his life on Delsauria as he'd mentioned before, that could be useful. "This first job is little more than an easy way for us to get more funding, we were tipped off about a stash of valuables which have been hidden in a small, recently opened cave system no more than half a days walk from here. It belongs to a group who still owes me money so that's all the moral justification I need, I don't like to judge a person by their face but the rest of you look like you don't have an issue with a little repo work."

The quiet atmosphere of the establishment returned once again after the group made their way upstairs. Mark sat all by himself on the table, back turned towards the main entrance, anxious, and uncomfortable. Not from the thought of how his getup looked iffy, or how his disfigured face might attract some unwanted attention. Mark had always considered himself to be the type of person to have little trouble in being at peace with a lot of things in life, death, injury or even embarrassment. He didn't care much for these types of things, and his life was very peaceful because of it he thought to himself. But he was nervous from the thought about what was coming. Skinwalker was never a pleasurable person, in the aspects of his personality and even more so his appearance. Especially his appearance, the more he thought about it.

During the jobs that he did alongside Skinwalker, Skinwalker always wore a mask on duty and off duty. The mask itself would cover his entire face save for his eyes that Mark always thought had a haunting look behind them. Mark had never looked Skinwalker in the eyes again after the first time he did whenever they interacted with each other. The impression left by Skinwalker's stare never left Mark, like a bad dream he would sometimes see the same set of two eyes staring back at him from the darkness. He, the gender that Skinwalker claimed to be although what exactly he is Mark hadn't the slightest clue, was also very aware of how disturbing his appearances were, and usually concealed it with dozens of layers of clothing, though at times to no avail.

The door of the establishment creaked open and even without turning around Mark knew exactly who it was. Skinwalker had been out of a job for quite some time which meant he hadn't been able to acquire any new parts. Mark can only imagine how much more horrifying he would look now. The putrid stench of rotting corpse and various bodily fluids mixing together almost immediately filled the room. The other patrons turned their heads to find the source of the offensive smell, only to find a humanoid figure standing in the middle of the establishment wrapped heavily in damp and grimy clothing. The clothing was tattered at the ends and had clearly visible splotches of dried blood stains mixed in with dirt and filth. Sprinkled on the upper torso are what appears to be bullet holes, scattered randomly on the patchwork attire. The figure's head and face was fully concealed under a hood and a piece of cloth that covered the section of the face below the eyes.

The owner's face grimaced whilst standing behind the bar, pulling the collar of his shirt over his nose in hopes of staving off the stench.

" Awh, what in the world!? You there sir! Sorry but I'm gonna have to ask you to leave!"

The figure stands there motionless without reply, seemingly scanning the layout of the entire room.

Mark stood from his chair to interject,

" Oh, wait! Wait! Sir! I'm really sorry that he's disturbing everybody and all but he's expected upstairs! I know what I'm asking is really a lot from you but if you could please let him in. Please! He won't cause trouble, I promise!"

The owner takes a second to examine the figure that had been standing there completely still for the last couple of seconds,

"He's with Emma's group?" The owner takes a deep sigh while shaking his head simultaneously before he shouts upstairs "Emma! Who or what in blue blazes did you bring to my place!?"

Last edited:
Upstairs

Emmathyst had barely finished her reply to Daniel when she heard the owner barking at her from downstairs, odd question though since she hadn't brought anything with her into the establishment? Maybe Sam had come back with someone from outside? No he would have explained it downstairs. The Delsaurian gave a slight sigh as she realised what it must be, whoever that 'friend' had been talking about must have arrived and from the angry cries he didn't sound like such a good looking guy.

"Yeah send him up, I'm already giving you a cut from this job for all the help you've been to us Rick so just put any damages on that tab as well alright?" She shouted back down the stairs hoping she wouldn't regret the decision to blindly vouch for whoever was down there. "Alright everyone sounds like another member has showed up so put on your best behavior and say hi when they get here ok?" She said to the rowdy group of misfits who were gathered around the private bar with a smirk.

"No problem at all with a little repo," Daniel side with a smirk. He felt that Emma understood him and he was comfortable trusting her in this. "Do you already have the place scouted? I could head out there and watch it for the night. Maybe send one of your friends to keep me company if you don't trust me."

He would have laughed, such a job was but a errand to him. Hopefully things would prove much less dull moving forward.

"I can as well, I have stealth equipment, and suppressed weaponry. Who you send, if you do, is up to you. But my skills are yours now. Repo is fine....I care not for shiny objects, or money. So retrieval for you is my priority.", Lazarus said with his augmented voice, the expression displayed unchanged as his steepled fingers remained so.

Raspooten looked toward the source of the commotion and gave a metallic chuckle at the chaos ensuing downstairs before he turned back to the small group of people that had assembled in the room. "What is the whole idea behind an economy if not the repossession and redistribution of wealth," the hulking spacer muttered before he piped up to give an actual response.

"No problems with some repo work for me, as long as it isn't from me - so yeah."

Upstairs

Emma listened to each of the men in turn and nodded along occasionally, "Well I'm glad the three of you don't have any problems with the work, and its best to get used to it. Desperate times can call for desperate measures although we do try to stay on the nice side of the law for the most part. Now-" The Delsaurian said turning back to Daniel to answer their questions in order.

"-You offered to scout it? I'll thank you for the gesture and commend your enthusiasm, or your drive for wealth whichever it may be its useful to me. However scouting will not be necessary, the man who informed me of the stash is a long time friend and we used to work together a while back."

Next she turned to face 'Smith', her face almost cringing a little. "Now, Smith. From the sounds of this you clearly don't think this will be much of a challenge and clearly have some sort of experience but for all I know you copied that line from a movie and have no idea how to use a gun. Either way I'd ask you to make a decision here and now about this job, you may be some super soldier I have no idea and don't really care as long as you're not trying to mess with my business or my people, so if you don't mind such work then you'll be paid the same as all the others otherwise you might be better off joining some pirates if you want a tougher job." Emma stared right into his mask with a steeled gaze, clearly she'd dealt with enough people to speak with the confidence and authority she had used and wasn't about to thrown off by one stranger.

"Hey Emma? I know you like people to be focused on the job and all but he might be useful too, you said it yourself we would need as many people for later as we could find right?" Ruby piped up from her spot behind the bar.

"That's why I'm not demanding he show his face Ruby, I respect everyone has their own histories and stories and for the general purpose of this job I don't need to know it, unless you decide to stick around of course." The lizard looking woman smiled sideways at him and turned finally to their resident metal man. "Don't worry big guy we don't lure people here just to rob them in their sleep, already tried that tactic once before and ended up trying to rob some undercover agent of some kind."

Too say Lazarus was peeved by such dismissal of his claims was an understatement. This woman was trying his patience after such a claim. How dare they deny his skills.

His face plate reflected that for a moment, "That was the last job. I do not care whether you believe in my skills, or not. The question, is if you want them, or to just talk down to me like I am a child instead of actually getting work done. I must say if your trying to win over people to sign on, you need a refresher course."

His hands had unsteepled as he spoke, before moving his hands to rest on the arms of the chair. "I will reveal my identity when you've shown you can be trusted. But until then, you will know be by the generic Smith."

Upstairs

Emma raised a scaly ridged eye brow at him, surely he'd been through similar groups before or maybe this was his first time joining a freelance group and was used to having someone refer him to the leader of other groups in the past. Whatever his deal was it wasn't exactly reassuring, "Look, I'm in charge of protecting Ruby and Sam and anyone else who works for me alright? That means that when I meet someone who wont give me a scrap of info about them I have to be cautious in case they're crazy or an absolute idiot, you get that?"

"And as I already told everyone here, we're not leaving till the morning so don't try and show off by being super duper ready. We're not some group of heroes or the fucking army, we just do jobs and continue with out lives, I'll stop doubting your abilities if I actually see them, I dunno where you come from but out here words are meaningless."

Ruby had shrunk down behind the counter slightly as the situation unfolded, she knew Emma was fierce and wouldn't stop fighting if someone she was in charge of was in danger, this 'Smith' guy hadn't threatened them sure but he didn't seem to understand the kind of lives the three Delsaurians had been living for years. The youngest Delsaurian looked over towards the stairs, Sam still hadn't come back in yet and it would probably be quite handy for him to be here right now, least then she might feel a little safer from the verbal fight that was slowly brewing.

Mark gave a heavy sigh. Amidst the commotion he stood up from his chair and proceeded to walk towards the stairs in silence without any exchange at all with Skinwalker. The horrendous stench trailed behind his steps, familiar enough that it didn't bother him. Skinwalker followed behind in a way that his shadow almost coalesces with Mark's, and with a shudder Mark dispelled the thoughts in his mind. Above the stairs, the sounds of light conversation from downstairs in the background faded into a more quiet atmosphere, discreet and with a darker undertone. The creaking of the stairs beneath the two's feet drew Ruby's attention. Her eyes meet with the odd man from downstairs, and in his shadow a looming figure that was covered heavily with tattered rags. Living with Emma had exposed Ruby to all walks of life, causing her to mature quicker than most her age and as a result had helped her in being able to read people at a glance. Paying attention to the odd man's disfigured face she knew that behind it wasn't the same person that she met downstairs. In the same instance as well she instinctively covered her nose as a heavy, wet and rotten stench filled the room.

Under the the low lit light of the room the other's around the table glanced towards the two people that recently entered. The odor assaulting those in the room with a sense of smell. Mark approached the table and sat on an empty chair, his expression stoic whilst a few feet behind him stood a heavily cloaked hooded statue. The attention shifted back to Mark as he begins his statement in a hoarse voice with a monotonic tone,

" Good evening, I am Skinwalker 77-4513-9812. I would like to seek a position in this crew, ideally one supervising any and all medical aspects of the crew such as, medical treatment, crew health safety protocols, handling of potentially biohazardous material, and the management of deceased individuals. My active skill set compliments a medical position, as I have extensive experience working in such fields in the past with previous contractors. My abilities also include excelling in highly stressful situations and obedience to leadership commands. In the topic of payment I am satisfied with absolute minimum pay for my skills if the contractor inclines to, in exchange for an agreement. "

Perfectly said, with mechanical concision.

Last edited:
Upstairs

Ruby saw the new face, or rather the new collection of bandages and filth and looked away instinctively, trying hard not to gag on the smell accompanying him, before she could open her mouth to speak however Emma stepped forwards, stoic as ever despite the smell and sight of Skinwalker. "I'll assume that you're the friend Dr Frankenstein spoke of earlier then?" She said coolly, directly comparing the newcomer to frankensteins monster with her first line although her tone didn't indicate malice nor comedy. "Either way as long as you're prepared to do the work required and don't complain about factors that are out of my hands your welcome to join, I wont immediately hand over all medical duties to you unsurpervised though, nothing personal but I'm sure you understand." She spoke, a small smile curling at the Delsaurians lips as she passed a glass over to the new guy.

Shortly afterward Sam came back from the outside and headed upstairs. "Couldn't find anyone out there, looks, and smells like you found a couple more without me though Emma." He chuckled in his much deeper voice moving to sit along the bar as well.

Lazarus saw the expressions of the others around and saw the appearance of the figure. It made him grateful for having had the foresight to wear a helmet that was sealed and filtered the air. Granted the smell of death was nothing new to him, he was still not fond of such a smell.

The figure however, made him rather.......wary. The figure breathed something unnatural, something that carried death, and looked as if born from it. Lazarus would need to watch this one closely, always keeping at least one optic sensor on him.

This Ruby character he was starting to like, not many argued, or the expressed anger towards him. "Not trusting of others is smart, and not taking anything at "face" value is just so. Your protecting your own, something I have not had the luck of having as a concern. As my employer, that should also be a concern of mine. My life should be forfeit before any of yours come to harm."

He paused for a moment, "You want to know me, then you will in time when appropriate. But know I am simply a man looking to find his way in a world he was born in to be a slave."

The appearance of the Freespacer was as shocking to Daniel as it was to most others, he instinctively recoiled away huffing through his nose as if he could merely blow away the smell. He had hunted in swamps, tracked using feces and been around plenty of dead and rotting animals but his system was just not ready for it to be all in this small area of a bar. He quickly took a large gulp of the burning liquor he held. He looked to Ruby and Smith as they spoke not adding anything at this time. He was curious where this was going to go.

Bar Upstairs

Emma raised a scaly eyebrow at Smiths comments, "I wouldn't go as far to say die for us, you got as much a right to save your own butt as ours, I'm hardly handing out life contracts here." She chuckled a little, at least she and Smith seemed to be more on the same page now which was good and now that Sam was back it seemed this would be their team for the next job, a good mix of people really.

Ruby herself was feeling a little sleepy from the adventures of the day coupled with alcohol ingestion and since this seemed to be the extent of their group she thought it was probably a good time to get some rest. "Hey Emm, think I'm gonna hit the sack now so just wake me up when it's go time tomorrow." The younger Delsaurian said while heading towards the rear of the building's 2nd floor to fine her room.

"Alright, get some good rest then. As for the rest of us, we should probably do the same soon it's going to be an early start. As I've mentioned to a few of you who were here first we're going after a hidden stash inside an old mine system. We'll be riding sand troucers out there and with a bit of luck my Ace in the hole of a contact will pick us up when we're done, if anyone has any specific questions." She looked up and scanned the faces around her.

"Now's the time to ask em."

Lazarus only had one, the only one that mattered to him. They had a job, and a success parameter.

"Just one. What's our equipment limitations, and what equipment would be most helpful?", He asked calmly and simply.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back