• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Discord

Do you use Discord?

• Yes

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My point was chat was most likely the most popular one on the site , Discord obviously is going to be more active. But I don't support banning people if you guys plan to make that our official chat. I just don't find that appealing, sorry.

I don't think anyone's spoken about making any existing Discord servers "the official one." That'd be up to Wes to make if he'd like to.

I actually really like the way we've got things now. Site chat is pretty useful and a great resource, especially because the wider internet role-playing community has such diverse demographics. Some people will never want to create an external account, even with the ease of Discord, to join in as part of a community. Even if the lion's share of members do have external chat accounts, we should maintain the on-site chat for those that don't or won't.

But maybe if chat bans were handed out here on-site then the chat would be calmer and more welcoming.

Is there any progress on getting a chat moderator here? Cause it could definitely use one that isn't in one of the cliques that have formed. (Yes, that includes me)

I find myself as that odd neutral party who really could care less, I am willing to set up a discord for those SARP residents who wish to have one.

This would be tough, but having an impartial mod that's also active would be the most important thing. Either for site chat or discord; currently, the site chat is not the most welcoming.

As long as an official discord's rules and expectations were made clear before it was set, it'd be fine to use.

I don't think you'll find agreement on those rules and expectations. No knock against Ame.

I find myself as that odd neutral party who really could care less, I am willing to set up a discord for those SARP residents who wish to have one.
While I'd like to believe there really is a "neutral party" anymore, the fact that so many have outcried against Ame makes me hesitant to believe it. Truthfully, I think everyone who has been removed from Ame's Discord had a good reason. And honestly, as a result of many of them being absent, the Discord has been a very nice, very friendly place. Even with me active (despite how often I'm called terrible), the chat rarely dies on it in comparison to the arrival of some killing the one on the site.

Ame has a server that's more active than SARP's actual chat 90% of the time. And that's because she'd been running it her way with regard to the site EVEN BEFORE this became an idea. The only people out in force to oppose her Discord are the very same who were removed from it. That alone makes me wish the thread would have been locked, the instant Wes had decided to discuss the Discord idea in-depth during the meeting.
I don't think you'll find agreement on those rules and expectations. No knock against Ame.
That's all this thread has devolved into. Can we please get it locked and let the community meeting be the warfield of the same complaints waged here showing up there to make things entirely uncivil? I'd appreciate it since it means I get to wait until then to see the spiel of "she's unjust" despite the fact she's made a chat server on par with the popularity of our OFFICIAL site chat without any support (realistically) from @Wes.

I don't see a reason to lock this thread. In two pages, it seems fairly tame and conversational to me.

I oppose the motion to lock it. Deliberation on forum should be just as good as on chat, if not better. At least here, we can easily reference previously mentioned points or arguments.

This said, nothing against Ame's moderation, but an official SARP channel should be under the ultimate control of Wes, even if he does very little with it. Basically, he should own the channel. That said, I've no problem with Ame continuing a major role in moderation on such a channel.

I've no problem with how it's run presently, but if it's to be official, I think the above would be a requirement, even if Wes is not present a whole lot on it.

Last edited:
Though I agree with not locking the thread since conversation is civil, I need to say that I'm a little wary of having Ame be the mod of any official channel. I was banned from her discord channel even though I rarely said a thing in there and just enjoyed listening in.

Wouldn't that be the sort of thing you could dispute with Wes come that point.

If Ametheliana would want to maintain her own assets, nothing would stop her from enforcing them in channels meant for her useage. But for more general venues, it'd likely fit the same profile as Wes enforces for the forum: there's very few bans that last more than 2 weeks on rare case offenders so an appeal could easily be made on such an official channel to have the ban overturned after X amount of time has passed.

You're correct that I could dispute it with Wes should this happen with an official SARP channel, but I shouldn't have to put up with that to begin with. I'd rather an impartial mod so it'd be smooth sailing to begin with.

I wouldn't be able to ban. If I were a mod, I would likely kick people for a short number of hours if they were being incredibly antagonistic, explicit, what have you, —in a non-biased manner— until Wes himself could make a judgement call. Fred is right on the money with what could work. And I'd also like to state that these were my ideas I floated to Wes earlier, not anything more than that. I don't want the power to ban people from an official discord as I'm not the admin. Staffers can't even ban on the site, so why should I be able to ban on discord?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back