• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Dylan Bjarkmar

First, I intended Dylan to be a Xeno-scientist aboard the ship, but since most of the skills have been rewritten, I now intend him to be both an ecologist and a cook.

Also, I meant Starship Operations, not Tech operation.

Both facts have now been included in the article.

I've there's anything else, let me know.

Okay, I've taken a look at the bio as requested and I think the mother's species should be changed or clarified, as the first mass-production nekos (NH-7 series) were not introduced until YE 20. In YE 01, the only three were the prototypes (Yui, Yuumi, and Yuki), one of whom died and the other two later became Empress. Besides, early nekos could only self-clone, so there wouldn't be any chance of a male offspring until the NH-33. If he was born in YE 01, it's almost certain that he was a human originally and so were his parents, which makes sense with the brother dying since he'd be human too (more on this below). That said, just because his mom was born a human doesn't mean she died as one. It is possible that his mother transferred her mind into a Nekovalkyrja body sometime after YE 20, perhaps to fight in the Elysian wars in the Star Army.

Keep in mind in YE 08 there was the major plague that wiped out most humans on Geshrintall (old name for planet Yamatai). Note that The Great Plague essentially spread by eye contact (Yeah, yeah, I know it's crazy) and it took 5 years for the infected to die, during which they exhibited no symptoms and continued to spread it to everyone they met in person. So if it killed the brother but not Dylan or his mom, it probably means his brother was separated from them for an extend period for some reason.

In response to @Floodwaters , yes, some Nekovalkyrja become farmers (after they retire from the Star Army).

Other than the history stuff above, everything else looked fine to me.

I've edited his brother's dead, and added the fact that his parents were humans and he was born human too, but that they all replaced to a Geshrin body in YE 04. Does that make more sense as why they survived the Plague? 'Cause I don't now how else to explain it.

Also, I've added the reason why his mother became a Neko. Also, is it required for a Neko to become a member of the Star Army? 'Cause I've also added that she didn't really fight with them. If that;s the case, I'll add that she actually did fight, but not for long after returning to Dylan and his father.

all right, so I've added that too. Anything else or is it ready to get approved?

Don't hesitate to ask, I'm after all here to learn from you.

Last edited:
Most of the edits from my last few posts still need to be made. Eyelashes, Personality, and a few of the skill edits.

When you added a voice section, you brought up an interesting question. What does a Yamataian farmer's accent sound like? If you're going to include that, I'd include a link to someone with that kind of accent speaking, so we have a point of reference. Also, keep in mind, that just makes your life a bit harder, since your character's IC speech will need to be written that way. :p

Some of the edits to history force me to reiterate a point. There is no classified information in the wiki unless it's approved by your GM for a very specific reason, and even then, you have to explain it to the approval mods.

A large chunk of the history needs some serious editing for grammar/spelling, and just general misuse of words (most likely just mistranslation). Again, if you need help with that side of things, let us know, we're happy to help, I just won't poke things like that if I'm not asked to.

When you merged the family/creators stuff into the history, you've now got several pieces of information duplicated in there, and mentioned several times. You need to go through and just work the history section into something more cohesive and readable. Right now, it kinda rambles along, and changes directions, and times, and subjects, with no apparent direction.

Also, you don't complete degrees in high school, those would be college, and working jobs to pay for college while you're in school would slow you down on getting it completed. Same as before, if you'd like some help rewording and reworking this stuff, just say so, or pop into the IRC and talk to me about it, I'm glad to help you iron it out.

Made a slight edit to the inventory to include your additional pieces for the peashooter.

Still needs work, but you're getting there.

I've removed the accent part, 'cause it looks rather stupid when you write it down. I tried to let it sound like a Dixie accent(is that the right concept?), but I'm quite inexperienced with that since I'm from Europe. Also, I've rearranged the personality and history to make it better readable. Also I've added a Wikipedia link to what I mean with double eyelashes. It's a mutation in which your lower eyelash grows longer than your upper. It can be really annoying sometimes. I know it, 'cause I have it myself.

If there's anything else, please let me know. Also, feel free to correct any grammar flaws. I don't mind if you do. If one sentence is wrongly written, I probably wouldn't even have noticed if you changed it. So change any grammar issues, if you come across one. Sorry for my bad English in advance. I will try to do better in the future.

What does a Yamataian farmer's accent sound like?
That is a question for the faction manager of Yamatai to answer. There is no reason to ask a new player for information about Yamatai. How would you expect him to know? I'm not even sure of the answer myself, and it would vary depending on the area.

That is a question for the faction manager of Yamatai to answer. There is no reason to ask a new player for information about Yamatai. How would you expect him to know? I'm not even sure of the answer myself, and it would vary depending on the area.
Kansai dialect? That's what I think when I think 'farmer' in 'Japan'. Though I don't even know if Kansai has a lot of farms. But I only know of like 3 japanese dialects anyway.

Kansai isn't so much country folk as it's more rural. They're basically the Bronx to Tokyo's Manhattan.

That's my point though, @Wes. If he's uncomfortable with writing an accent that isn't even his to develop, than it shouldn't be included. It's been removed though, so it's a moot point.

On the eyelashes, if it's annoying, why would he want them? That's not something that you can get by accident, and choosing to apply a mutation to your body (one that could, in theory, cause some pretty serious damage to the eyes) seems like an odd decision for someone with knowledge of the damage it could cause.

The first paragraph in the personality is still off. At the very least, the second and last sentences should be removed, though I honestly think it would be better to remove the whole paragraph.

I have to say, the atychiphobia addition is definitely interesting, though I don't know if it would really work. In any scientific field, failure is regular, and consistent. I doubt he would get far as a biologist if he literally breaks down when he fails.

You still need to clarify the "classified" reason for his brother. That isn't negotiable.

The reason given for him picking up the ears seems rather flimsy, to be honest. If he just wants to get them, that's fine, but saying he go them "as a sign of his mother's species" when she transferred into that body twenty years into his life seems rather silly. If anything, that reasoning makes me think he'd try to stay as pure human as possible, since that's her ACTUAL species, not a body she transferred into. This holds especially true given when she left the military, because in YE28, she probably would have transferred back OUT of the Neko body, to prevent being considered a reservist (since neko bodies were government property, at the time).

The last paragraph of the history has me a bit confused. I'm not quite sure on what you're trying to say there, and most of it doesn't seem to add up. Could you clarify what you're getting at for me? I'll help you rewrite it once I understand what you're aiming for.

I know I forgot to bring this up before, but which Lorath language is he learning? They actually have several distinct dialects within their nation. Here is a link to the page, to help you clarify.

Did a bit of re-writing in the skills section, outside of the little grammar/spelling edits. Look it over and let me know what you think. My edits remove the issues I've had with the skill section, while maintaining the general feel of the skills and character, I think.

Like last time, you're definitely getting closer. The history looks much better, and is more consistent now, and the skills, on the whole, read much better even before I tweaked them.

I've removed the eyelash thing, the first paragraph of the personality, and the atychiphobia parts in the article. Also, I've added the back-story of Dylan's brother's death, which Lorath dialect he is learning, and another reason for why he chose Neko-ears. I mean, they have enhanced hearing capabilities, who wouldn't chose that?!

Also, Aendri, thank you for tweaking all these grammar stuff. If you see anything else, be free to edit it. I'd be very grateful if you do. Also, the last paragraph of the history is about how Dylan got involved in the 'The Fringe' plot. But since Dylan isn't officially in the plot yet, I'll add to it later. If you know a better way to rewrite the part to make it plausible, be free to do so.

If there's anything else, let me know. I hope at least It's close to being approved.

PM sent.

While I still have some reservations about his reasons for winding up in a seedier part of society, I'm going to tentatively approve this character for use in The Fringe starting in the next story arc. Please check your inbox for my proposal to you.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back