• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: Elysia ECS Civetta di Cielo Prologue: Journey to the West

Re: [Prologue] Journey to the West

Ariel observed his skeleton crew with momentary bemusement. It was less than ideal, to be sure. Two couldn't keep a schedule, one didn't follow protocol, and one had crossed the line between confidence and arrogance years ago. But then, if there was no challenge, there was no glory in the deed. Right? Right. Ariel was going to go with that, since it made it a little easier to deal with the fact that he had been more or less set up to fail.

Not that he'd ever tell anyone that.

"Well then. Since we all seem to be present and accounted for, now seems as good a time as any for your briefing." Ariel folded his hands behind his back, eyed his crew sharply. "As I am sure you all already know, we will be in the EX-1 system. Specifically, we are traveling to the fourth planet in that system, past the already-inhabited Keren. There will be a colony ship establishing an industrial outpost on this world, but our mission has nothing to do with the colonization effort. Rather, we are to investigate what the esteemed Sariel Anex has described as an 'advanced alien artifact'. We currently have no solid information on what this artifact is, but we can be quite sure it is advanced, alien, and an artifact. Anex was quite clear about that much."

Ariel cleared his throat. "We are actually already behind schedule. I will address any questions you may have, then I would like to depart."

Fergal had slowly inched across the floor towards the door while the captian was talking. He paused when Ariel looked around and glanced towards the door, thinking on his feet. He blinked and then thought it over. He was sure he could ask after one of the flamethrowers but he wasn't sure how well Airel would take his offer of better food.
He finally nodded and tried to keep a grin off of his face. "I've got a quick question..."

And then he pulled his datapad out of his pocket, pulled up the schematics for the little busen burner. He walked over to Ariel and offered him the datapad. "Can I use one of the flame thrower tanks?" There it was out, done! Now all he had to do was wait... and the waiting was going to be difficult. But he stood there, watching Ariel silently.

Kale was told nothing that he did not already know, and had nothing to ask his commander. He did allow himself the slightest of winces as the Ingtris Flamethrower was refered to as a 'Flame Thrower Tank', or at least he assumed that was what Fergal meant. Instead of asking a question he merely ran through everything the commander had said and reminded himself of the systems details.

EX-1 'Keren', home to decade long habitation on the main habitable planet stemming back to the great exodus. It would be interesting to see how their culture and society had changed during the seclusion and without the three wars that had followed their colonization.

Zerachael had already been told, during the game, what the mission was about, but he listened anyway. Once more he noted Kael’s appearance, which he found to be somewhat exotic. His interest however, was peaked about the artifact, wondering what it might be. He nodded his head as the Duplicari spoke, and after he had finished, found that he had no questions at all. Like the leader of the ship, he was merely ready to get underway, after it had taken everyone else so long to get upon the ship, as if it was just something they had come upon in their leisure. He began to think of Keren, and how he had heard talk of all the expansion effort, and even more the other places they might go while on the Civetta.

The scholarly soldier could not help but role his eyes and heave an inaudible sight as Fergal asked his ludicrous question…referring to such a weapon as a “Flame Thrower Tank”. One did not even have to be as perceptive as Zerachael to see the childish idiocy that seemed to permeate from the mechanic..

Fool.

Ariel eyed Fergal a little uncertainly at that question. Where had these recruits come from again? Less than an hour into his first command, and it already read like an episode of a bad sitcom. Ariel kept his composure, and offered a reply, though there was a definite bite to his tone.

"What would you cook with that, Semeai? All we have onboard is psomi. If at some point the Concordia is refitted to include a proper scullery, I may reconsider your request. Until such a time, you will leave all of our weaponry intact. And to be clear, when I asked if there were questions, I meant about the mission..."

He paused there.

"As it seems there are none, you should all report to your posts and prepare for launch."

Ariel crossed his arms, staring evenly at the others there, and waited for them to follow that simple command before he turned to the helm and took his place there. Someday, a helmsman of his own. For now, Ariel could fly a Concordia as well as (and possibly better than) anyone else out there. Assuming his crew didn't end up lost and devoured by the engines.

Fergal just grinned, not giving into the frown he wanted to show due to his idea being turned down. His grin just grew into something close to being mischievous when he spotted the looks on the rest of the crew's faces. Boy oh Boy would they be in for a big surprise. Even Psomi could become strawberries... or chocolate or even broccoli if you added the right spices. He eagerly stalked off, twirling his little pocket wrench. He slipped into the crew quarters and stripped from his uniform, folding it away and slipping into his work clothes.

He slipped out and down to the engine room, keying open the door and greeting the Engine room with a happy whistle. He slipped his headphones on and set to work, tightening bolts, adjusting a few valves, checking the systems and then settling down in a nice warm spot to poke his nose into his data pad and look up his notes on manipulation of Psomi. This crew might have been a bunch of Plebeians, but that didn't mean he couldn't make their Psomi taste like real food, similar to that of what Patricians ate.

Kael quickly reported to his 'post' the medbay and made himself at home in it. That is not to say that he in any way relaxed or lapsed into informally, more that he began the process of learning its layout like the back of his hand, or the layout of his flight feathers - he examined its chrome surfaces, its Pigment Blue walls and refamiliariseing himself with the controls of the Soul Transfer device in the medbay. This was hardly necessary, but if something was not practiced then it would fossilize and then undergo atrophy, and that was not a particularly good position for a medic to be in. After examining the contents of every cupboard and putting them to memory he said a prayer so that the Lord of All Creation might look over him in his work.

Having finished said prayer he turned towards where the engine room was, and where in the absence of the chapel the 'soul' of the ship might be considered to lie, and spoke to the computer,

"Civetta, import the medical files of all the crew and their close relations into the Medical Bay's console."

Occupying himself Kael then proceeded to the console and began analysing the medical history and body types and began calculating a few rudimentary dietary and training regimes. Without a gym present, and lacking a Patrician's metabolism, it was vital that they all stay healthy and, furthermore, strong.

Zerachael went back to the security desk, one of the few whom were not required to leave the bridge. To him the crew looked a bit shoddy, with a Tironi and all. Then there was the childish engineer, a person whom Zerachael could honestly say he would not mind perishing for the greater good of the Lord of All. Pushing such thoughts from his mind, Zerachael pulled up files on the Seraphim that he would have control of. Though at the present time he didn’t believe he would need to use them much on an expedition of a planet they were already more or less in control of.

He knew a bit about the models already, but was reiterating himself just in case he had missed something. While doing this, he made a slight comment, it was light and jesting, which was so very rare for the generally serious Elysian:

“You know, I thought you must have performed acts of the greatest caliber to be given command of your own ship. However now that I’ve seen the crew, I believe you must have pissed one of the Patricians off.”

"Perhaps I did, Semeai Valorum. And you were assigned to serve under me, which bears the question... who did you piss off?" Ariel quirked an eyebrow at him momentarily, then returned his attention to the helm. After a check and permission with the shipyard control, he engaged the sublight engines, and the Civetta pulled away from the orbital shipyard.

Ariel remained silent for the several minutes of slow progress before the Civetta di Cielo left behind the Veritas system - and then, still without a word, he engaged the hyperspace fold drive. Approximately ten lightyears between Veritas and Keren made for a journey of about 13 minutes.

Not too bad, considering the Concordia was built on the cheap...

[OOC: Story continues in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=3259]

RPG-D RPGfix
Back